rnickymouse failure Mulholland fest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. helion42

helion42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing while watching it lol, "why is no one throwing gravel?"
  2. Donster

Donster No trick too cheap

Oddometer:
    He's on the back brake plenty--his back wheel is locked up. The spokes are stationary.
  3. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I guess he was trying to induce oversteer by sliding the rear end to make that turn. Or he was in a full panic.
  4. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok ,i get it...Its a racetrack with 2 way traffic with very untrained drivers and riders .What could go wrong ?
  5. Cykel

Cykel I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer:
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    And instead of a tree with a bunch of parts hanging from it there is about 3 tons of broken off motorcycle parts at the bottom of the hill on the other side of the guard rail.
  7. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I've only ridden out there once, and it was a long time ago. Is there a rock store type place up on angeles crest as well? I know I rode over angeles crest, and my memory seems to think I stopped at the rock store, but don't remember Mulholland. I might have to go dig out my old maps and see what is highlighted. :baldy
  8. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Newcombs Ranch.
    [​IMG]
  9. infresig

infresig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZBgrVI0Dyto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting combination of rear wheel hop and target fixation. My question, however, is can anyone identify the dainese jacket that this guy is wearing?
  10. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

Thank you. :1drink
  11. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Do those bikes have ABS? That is what the system looks like in slow-mo from what I have seen in other videos.
  12. infresig

infresig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They don't have ABS but that's definitely not what ABS looks like in action. If it operated like that, it would be a terrible safety mechanism.
  13. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Looks like all the interesting action on Mulholland Drive comes from one corner where photographers and idiots gather to watch other idiots show off. Seems to me that if the pull-off was dug out/blocked off or otherwise made inaccessible, most of the crashes wouldn't happen.

I'm going to REALLY hate to say this, but I think US129 is more interesting. The upside, however, is that the more morons flock to Mulholland and Deal's Gap, the less of them there are everywhere else. I realize this has only a microscopic effect but every little helps.

I feel really sorry for the families of the few who ruin or end their lives trying to look good for the cameras and hope the photographers and other vultures can live with that.
  14. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    I have ridden section hundred's of times in the last 25 years. Here is my take on it.

Some of the things have been mentioned. Rock Store is only 2 miles down hill. So many stop there. Have coffee. Look at bikes. Then ride on with now cool tires.

The Snake is mostly 2nd gear with one spot that I go for 3rd. Until this corner. Which is 3rd gear for me. The corner is very easy. It has good vision. Nicely banked. Until the end, where it is flat and leads to a 1/4 mile straight. It is fairly polished asphalt.

So these guys( and gals) come screaming up it in 2nd. Finally get a 3rd gear corner. They really want to get on it and get there chance as the corner goes into the straight. So they send all 130hp to the earth. But the cold tires and the polished pavement and the lean angle just don't add up.

I ride up there. If my only day off is a weekend. Then I'll go early and get out of there before the chaos. There are 1000's of other turns up there that are better than this one. I ride those.

The Crest. I will not go there on a weekend. But on a weekday. That is heaven on earth. My first choice is a weekday ride on the Crest.

Oh. Lookie there. I have this Thursday off. You know where to find me. :wink:

EDIT: just went and looked at some of the crashing vids. Of the 4 I watched. 3 of the bikes had dealer placards. Not even plated. And there are tons of videos with great riders not crashing.
  15. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Damn. My first post-license-exam ride was with a friend who lent me his SV650 so we could ride the ACH. He rode pillion. Aside from all of the rocks in the road, I thought it was awesome. I was going about 45mph for most of it - just wonderful. It was october and chilly, so maybe that was why so little traffic. We sure did confuse the 'stitch crowd at Newcomb's Ranch with both of us on that "little yellow thing", though. :D
  16. Zeke013

Zeke013 Village Idiot

Oddometer:
    But which came first - the crashes or the videographers?
  17. TinyTrains

TinyTrains Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crashes came first. Squids have been crashing on the Snake since LONG before camcorders. It was just as wacky in the late 70's. I have been riding around there for years, and chasing off the cameras will not change much.
  18. Orygunner

Orygunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the news article I could find:
    http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/2007/04/04/news/newsbriefs.txt

...Orygunner...
  19. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
  20. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    its not that bad in the winter time..... in fact I can remember being up there all by myself a few times in the winter with snow etc. But man stay away from that place in the summer on the weekends.
    One of our own was killed up there on a Friday