Indiana, lost in and about

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jdfog2, Jun 30, 2012.

1. jdfog2

jdfog2 Lawd I was born a Ramblin' Man

Oddometer:
    West Central Indiana and Ohhhhhhhhh Klahomah !
    Hi all

I got a Honda Mini Trail 50 for my 10th birthday and rode bikes until I was almost 21. My road bike after getting my license was my primary transportation and I had a couple of clunker cars for really bad weather. Joined the Air Force and served for 20 years. Just got a new bike a couple of months ago and have put over 2500 miles on it so far.

Here's the first installment of ride reports.
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  2. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    The Wee - about 0730

[​IMG]
    popscycle and interceptor1972 like this.
  3. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    First stop - a covered bridge - we have a LOT of those here - we even have a website coveredbridgecountry.com and we have a covered bridge festival in the next county that draws millions of people each year.

Note the corn plants around the bottom - brown is NOT a good thing. Corn is probably pretty much hopeless in our part of the state for this year. We NEED rain!

[​IMG]
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  4. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    I'll post the rest later.
    Gonna work on making photos smaller first!

Jay
  5. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    My folks live out in the country in Vigo County...will be good to see pics near home!
  6. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    East Coast - I was in Northern Vigo County this afternoon. Small world :)
  7. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is the Buzz Bomb on the Courthouse Square in Putnam County, Indiana. It is the only V-1 on display in the U.S. It was used by the Germans in WWII to terrorize London. The plaque at the bottom calls it the first cruise missile.

Next, is the Doughboy, He's a WW I memorial. I adored this guy when I was a young child and would even ask my parents to drive by when we were going someplace and our route wasn't taking us past here unless I asked. I remember asking my dad "who is that?" and his reply was " that is an American Hero son - he is no one single soldier really, he is all of those selfless enough to give there all for the rest of us. And he deserves our respect."

He still gets mine and I still go out of my way to drive by and look at him :)

[​IMG]
    Idahopilot and interceptor1972 like this.
  8. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    This is Big Walnut Baptist Church. Also an important part of my childhood.
    It may in fact be the one place that is closest to an interstate yet furthest from access to the interstate for the entire run of I 70 across Indiana. You can see traffic from just behind the church (if the corn is not up yet) :)... but you have to drive several miles in another direction to get to an on ramp.

[​IMG]

And this is the Post Office in Poland, Indiana along Highway 42 - a nice motorcycle road between Poland and US 231 to the east. I don't think there will be Post Offices like this much longer. We're getting too big for our britches and that's a sad thing.

[​IMG]
    popscycle and interceptor1972 like this.
  9. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    My wife and I did our first cover bridges last month. Had a great time. We will be coming back soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    popscycle, jdfog2 and interceptor1972 like this.
  10. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    Todd

I've seen those someplace before :)

A gazillion times it seems like sometimes.

Hope you had a good time in Indiana.
  11. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    Those bridges are by Turkey Run State Park. We will be getting getting back that way soon. Been going up into MI looking for cooler temps lately. But it hasn't worked the last few weeks. :lol3
  12. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Good shot.

The brown is getting worse around here. Corn ought to be over my head now. Barely chest high. Does make it easier to see cars coming at intersections...but I'd rather have rain.
  13. Fullcyc

Fullcyc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello jdfog2,
    First off, I want to Thank you for your service. It is very much appreciated, and secondly, it looks as though we have something in common with our background in riding. I too started on a small trail bike at about the same age and rode up until my late 20's. I've just recently gotten back in the saddle after (30) long years and have just completed my 3000th mile, on my new to me 2002 Harley Sportster, over the weekend...

I look forward to viewing your thread. Being close to your area I'm sure I'll see some interesting places to add to my ever-growing bucket list of things to see. I see you have already visited the Buzz Bomb. That's on my list as well and I hope to get by there sometime before cold weather sets in. If we get any cold weather this year that is?..

I also saw your comment in MXP553's "Chasing Bridges" thread about ( "Pirate" looking dudes on chromed out loud and low bikes. ) and left a bit of a comment about it there: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19268781&postcount=7

Your comment had me in stitches... :rofl
    I don't blame ya bit for not wanting to ride your bike to a bar, sitting around posing, when you could be out riding some interesting back roads and seeing some of the great sites this state has to offer... As I mentioned to MXP553 in my reply there I hope to possibly hook up with you all for some good riding sometime in the near future.

I have only been as far west as Cataract & up over the lake into Cunot using IN42 to get there and it's a great little road all the way out. Hope to get on out a little farther as time goes by.

You've got a great start to your thread and I'm sure I will enjoy viewing it. I had been thinking of starting my own, "Daily ride" thread and have been getting some of the photos ready for it, so I hope you'll stop in to take a look, when and if, I get it going. Until next time, Ride safe, & Have a great day, Jeff...
  14. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    This is an exact clone of the post office in Prairie Creek :D

Keep these pics rolling, sir...I won't be able to get get home til after the first of the year, so I need my fix. :waysad
  15. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    Fullcyc

I am glad you didn't take that Pirate stuff personally. Since I recently got back into motorcycling it seems I have found a bunch of "experts" in my neighborhood and among my relatives. MOST of them I consider to be "Pirates" because they get all dressed up and act the part but they hardly ever ride. And if they do, it's usually to the 36 Saloon in Rockville - and back. So, I have a bunch of "expert Pirates" that ride less miles in a year than I do in a month giving me all kinds of advice. And the advice I get most often is "get a real motorcycle." :)

On the other hand my experiences from commuting everyday from the Greencastle area to downtown Indy on my bike is that there are two types of people with motorcycles:

Type 1
    - Motorcyclists/enthusiasts: No matter what brand/style these are people that ride - at least a moderate amount all the way up to a LOT. These folks ALWAYS give the "wave" unless they are preoccupied with controlling their bike in traffic and when you meet up with them at a gas station or someplace they almost always are talkative - this includes Harley and (insert other cruiser style/brands here) riders. They are like kindred souls, understanding the dangers and difficulties of riding but enjoying the thrill of the wind ...

Again, this can include any kind of bike/rider. In our ranks there is no shortage of "Adventure" riders that have long hair, scraggly beards, and often look like hell warmed over (I am one of those). What you ride is not nearly as important as HOW you ride and how you view and associate with other riders.

Type 2
    - People that like the "lifestyle" and can afford a motorcyle. Most often associated with "Pirates." Bikes are pretty and most always CLEAN and shiny and can easily be seen sitting in front of a bar with 10's more just like it.

There ARE some Type 1's that sometimes participate with Type 2s and that's ok.

I have to tell you my prejudice in this matter is unfair perhaps - but I own it. :)

Hope to see you around and/or go riding sometime!
    Jay

B10Dave likes this.
  16. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    I should be getting some more pics up by Monday. Had to go to Italy and Germany for a bit and am back now ...
    I'll have to swing through Vigo County soon just for you! :)

17. East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Ya know, IN63 starting south of Prairieton is actually pretty fun on a bike, especially between Prairie Creek & Fairbanks. :D

Bad part is you have to pass thru Terrible Haute to get to it. :lol3
  18. 8trackmind

8trackmind Gotta have the funk

Oddometer:
    So, where are the pics? You still in the Fatherland? :lurk
  19. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    :deal
  20. jdfog2

Oddometer:
    Sorry Inmates!

You know when you're reading a thread and you hit the icon to respond and it goes to the Login? Then you login and it says "Redirecting..."

I got redirected in a major way!
    RIght after I returned from my trip - my Mom had been having some health issues and after three or four months of all kinds of testing she was diagnosed with a bone marrow cancer (which luckily turned out to NOT be cancer after much more testing and genetic testing was done - she DOES have a bone marrow issue but it is not life threatening (Thank you Lord!)

So as soon as we got through that we find out my dad's wife has breast cancer - she had surgery and a week later had some cardio issues and then had to have a pacemaker put in - she is now undergoing Chemo and having a rough time of it...

But wait, it gets even more unbelievable... After his wife's first Chemo my Dad was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. IT's a very long story but has ended well for now. He had to have the right upper lobe removed and is (at least for now) cancer free. It was caught very early. However, his surgery was very invasive, high-risk and he had to stay in the hospital for 13 days - just went and loaded his stuff in my sister's car and she took him home about an hour ago. He is doing great all things considered. (Thank you again Lord!)

So - I don't even know where my camera is :)
    I do have a couple of motorcycle related pics from Italy on my cell - they are crappy but I will probably get them on here later.

J
    B10Dave likes this.