Which one for INDIA? "S10 or GSA"

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Rezy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear Adventure Guru's & Expert riders,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Kindly assist me with my dilemma.<o:p></o:p>
    I work in Middle east and usually take 2-3 vacations a year and have been riding my 2000 Model Yamaha TDM 850 back home since last 4 years, for about 2 weeks every time I visit home. Rest of the time the bike is parked with my Mechanic in his workshop. I have put on lots of after market parts to my TDM and it looks close to big bore adventure bike. Few things I don&#8217;t like about the bike is less ground clearance, low fuel average, less dirt worthy. I believe the weight is close to 225 Kgs when wet, but this was manageable as I am 5.9 tall and balance the bike well in any situation.<o:p></o:p>
    Since few months I am thinking of upgrading for full size adventure bikes. After few websites and reading adventure forums I landed up to go for S10 or GSA. I have not tried any of those so far and even not had test rides. To own these bikes brand new it will cost me as below in India due to customs and Regional Transport Office charges (insurance/registration/number plates/road tax/etc..):<o:p></o:p>
    BMW R1200 GS Adventure: 42,000 US$ (Available through order in BMW showrooms across India, nearest one is 30 Kms from my house.)<o:p></o:p>
    Yamaha Super Tenere 1200: 32,000 US$ (Have to purchase in Dubai or Oman and then export it to India)<o:p></o:p>
    Considering my type of use, which is Using 2-3 weeks (3000 Kms) every 4 months and then parking for 4 long months, which of this two is more suitable to India? Also considering 4 months Rain, 4 months Summer and 4 months Winter. <o:p></o:p>
    I may not be happy if I get S10 and later see it nearly same as TDM with terms of performance and riding features.<o:p></o:p>
    Looking for advise from Guru&#8217;s and expert adventure riders here. Below are some pics.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks & Best Regards.<o:p></o:p>
    Rezy :evil

Some pics here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98401&page=157

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoa, those prices are huge!! And you´re planning to store it most of the time?? Fine, if you´re not short on cash! Just remember, that with such an expensive and NEW bike, its value will go down all the time, even when you´re not riding it.

Besides, those two, although comfortable, are very heavy, and they´re not real dirtbikes. Also the big engines won´t be particularly economical.

I have no idea, how easily you can get spare parts for those bikes in India? I rode from Europe to India, and across India (Amritsar-Delhi-Agra-Mumbai-Kochin-Chennai) on my Suzuki bike 5 years ago, and certainly seemed like there weren´t any spares easily available for my bike (but luckily I did not have to search for them, so I don´t really know). Also tyres for the wheel sizes of big bikes seemed to be rare.

Generally I think a big trailie bike is well suited for India, because even the roads always seemed to be at least a little bumpy... but me, I would not need 1200cc for India, even my 650 Suzuki had plenty of power for my needs (and I did this trip two-up, my girlfriend was my pillion, and with luggage for 6 months trip). But I´m no guru, and I can only speak for myself of course.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Keep riding the TDM.. Your other two choices might give you 10% more but for a lot more money.. Or look at a cheaper alternative such as Suzuki's DL1000 or DL650. But if you really wanted to spend the money, I'd go with the most reliable option: S10.
  4. Superstar

Superstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My thoughts exactly.
  5. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pecha.. & GB

Now almost every major town in india has super bike clubs or group, spares are available and Ebay is always there, its just that they are expensive. I will keep evaluvating for a while untill i finalize. Will be updating more info shortly.

Regards,

Rezy
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've owned both bikes you're interested in.. For your uses, I'd pick the S10 hands down. The dry clutch on the GSA cannot take the abuse of a wet clutch, in the situation shown in your picture of the TDM going up the stairs. A worn out wet clutch on the S10 can be easily accessed and replaced. Replacing a worn clutch on a GSA is a very labor intensive job where the bike needs to be split in half to access the clutch. The S10 is a well sorted machine, and you don't need to be married to the BMW dealer for servicing and hooking up the bike to their service computer.

If you find the TDM's clearance too low, you can spend some money on a taller shock and save all that money on a new bike for something else. Plus it's a pity to spend all that money on a bike that just sits for most of the year unused.
  7. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    Did you cross that bridge or just climbed the stairs for the picture? :eek1 :D

Talking from another developing country: I wouldn't buy a new bike from a manufacturer that doesn't seem interested in my money. You said that you'd have to import the S10 by yourself, right? That means that Yamaha India doesn't offer it in the country. Well, if Yamaha doesn't even bother with the people who want a S10, why should you? Take your money somewhere else.

The same happens a lot here in Brazil. Suzuki, for instance, is the only japanese big-four that doesn't have an official representation here. They sell their bikes through a local, and exclusive, distributor. And, let's put it this way, this distributor doesn't give a shit for its customers (examples abound). If Suzuki HQ doesn't care how buyers of its bikes are being treated in a huge country (4th ot 5th biggest market in the world, depending on who's counting), well, they won't ever see a penny from me.
  8. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Mamm!

There were two predestrian crossing bridges next to each other just 15 meteres apart, the stone bridge is probably 75 yrs old 2 feet width and villagers stopped me from crossing it over the bridge with the bike, fearing if it may crack and break. So i had to go for photo session, which otherwise i was planning to cross.

The another bridge is a concrate bride which is 15 years old and looks as if it can stand another 5 years due to poor quality of steel and construction, for which villagers are worried and advised not to put vibrating load and heavy bike on narrow stone bridge.

All Japaneese and European firms have launched sports bike officialy in big showrooms across the country, in some occasion Ducati & Harley bikes selling as high as 1,25,000 US$ and there are nerds buying them.

India has landscape more like Brazil, its now or later dual purpose bikes will be in market place and being very much practical.

[​IMG]
  9. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    Man, you have balls. Were you ready to fish the bike out of the water? :evil :D
  10. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Mamm!,

I dont know, i would have gone with the flow.. but the bridge was still solid to passby and provided chance i would have tried it.

:1drink
  11. muddysoles

muddysoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Rezy

Both the 1200GS and S10 are too big for India and its crowded roads. How I know is few of my mates own the GS in India and barely ride it. Parts are not as easily available as you think. The BMW showroom will charge you a kidney and other vital organs every time you visit them. A bike I'd highly recommend and one that is easily available in India is the BMW F650 Funduro. I used one in Bangalore and enjoyed every bit of it! Also, have read that they plan to launch the S10 in India in 2013 for about $ 33K :huh
  12. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Muddysoles.

Thanks for the update on S10 future release, If you in Oman then couple of S10 will be soon in Azaiba showroom , i will keep updating this thread.

Regards,

Rezy.
  13. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant get over THOSE prices!!!:huh

If it was me -just because of preventive measures- I would spend the extra cash and avoid possible import dramas and go with the one I can get parts and service with ease.
    Then again muddysoles seems to have experience on the subject.

What about something lighter? Is KTM available?
  14. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @GSA...

We usually have bikes between 150 CC to 250 CC, but almost all like street bikes.
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  16. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I agree. A literbike would be way overkill in a country where the traffic moves under 80kph in the country and under 5kph in the cities. Plus with all the crazy Indian traffic, you need something nimble to get out of the way of larger vehicles. In India the larger vehicle always has the right of way.
  17. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    The S10 is a more refined bike than the TDM. Whether that lack of "character" is good or bad depends on you.

You won't be disappointed with either, for a while at least but the lack of dealer support would worry me long term with the S10. But at least it's WAY cheaper.

Where I live you have to pay way extra for the lack of dealer support, not the other way round. :lol3
  18. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks..

S10's Wet clutch, Double swing arm and engine stuffed in neat lines is gaining some points in my calculation over GSA's prutruding engine and its carburators and sensors near the footpegs.

Currently working on transportation, landing and customs calculation.. will update shortly again. Also S10 is due in Oman showroom in couple of weeks max as told by Sales Rep.

Thnx @ Rezy.
  19. muddysoles

muddysoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been visiting the Zubair Yamaha showroom every week to check on the Super Tenere since Aug. Finally I was told only two pieces are being imported and both have been booked already :eek1 You know sometimes, the law should make exceptions for murders! :dog
  20. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which India, India, or India do you go back to?
    :evil
    For those who've never been there, southern is massively different than New Delhi or downtown Bangalore, and neither resembles the northern part....

If you are on the long stretches in the body of the country that come out of Mangalore, with occasional travels to rougher and more off-road areas, I'd take the Super Tenere over the BMW. btw - the ergonomics are nearly the same.

Your comments about TDM ground clearance tell me that you regularly are in the mud, tight mountain dirt, or otherwise off road. Maybe you only get home in monsoon season?

In those cases, both the Tenere and GS are heavier than I'd want. You might consider something like a Triumph 800, KTM with 21" wheels if available, or one of the 650-800 BMW twins.