Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tomcat9;

This are the hotels I suggest to stay, in Chihuahua and at Creel, you mention " we are" so you can split the expense of the hotels, you can get in touch with me 011 52 1 614 142 0640 directly or sending a text writing down the number because sometimes it will appear as an unknown number, I´ll get in touch, and when here at Chih city we will :freaky XX lager it is already at the 30´s C more than at El Paso.
  2. tomcat9

tomcat9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi SchizzMan,
    I contacted him yesterday and he also gave me a response immediately. Now I have not only a first hotel I can go, I have also options :clap

Thanks
  3. tomcat9

tomcat9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both look great,
    I think we will try out both , if we find it :D

Thanks
  4. tomcat9

tomcat9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What, it is already that hot? I guess I can leave my Raingear at home :rofl
    I'll sent you the Message, even I am pretty sure that I don't have coverage in Mexico with my Phone.
    Looking forward to see Chihuahua and have this beer. :freaky
  5. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    It's miserable at the moment where I am. Hot and humid. I'm starting to rethink my decision to go and work in the middle east. Not sure I can handle 140 degrees and 90%+ humidity like I did in my 20's. :mad:
  6. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    I'm sure they've told you that there are only 11 months of Eternal Spring in Cuernavaca. :D
    April will soon pass.
  7. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    I have 3 days to go. I'll report in from the sandbox when I get there.

That eternal spring thing comes direct from the marketing department. Hot summers, chilly winters...

It least winter is dry. We've had about 2" of rain in the last 6 months.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    April is typically the driest, hottest month for Cuernavaca. Used to travel there a lot and always avoided it in April. Sounds like the weather is not following the usual trends. Must be Global Climate Change due to one too many Suburbans.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I called Mayte Carranco to ask about the weather pattern in Cuernavaca, and she pointed me to the data:

[​IMG]

Other than a record high blip, the average high temp of 86.2 for April is a "hot" I'll take any day.

In fact, the only "hot" here is still, well, Mayte Carranco :lol3
  10. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was a good easy ride of a little over 100 miles. The cuota and libre pretty much parallel each other and the traffic is light on the libre so you can make pretty good time. As in so many places in Mexico they are doing road improvements so the libre will be as good as the quota in the parts that they are working on. I chose to take the cuota for the last part of the route so I wouldn't have to go through Esquinapa... just wanted to save time and get to the hotel I had reserved. The hotel, Playa Mazatlan, was recommended by Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery and is really first rate. I chose an Ocean Front room at $107/night, the most I have spent in Mexico, and it is worth every penny. The room is huge, the bed is comfortable, there is filtered water from a tap (I used the SteriPen anyway, better safe than sorry), the restaurant is good and if you book the room on line you get a credit voucher for $14/US which brings the room cost down to $93. While it is good and possible to be frugal here in Mexico (my dinner of birria and a beer in Acaponeta was delicious and cost $45 pesos around $3.75US) It is nice to splurge once in awhile on food and lodging. There are some great restaurants in Puerto Vallarta and the prices reflect the quality.

Today on to the ferry around 1PM for a 4PM departure and 10AM arrival in La Paz. It will be great to see the sun setting over the Sea of Cortez... at some point during the voyage we will cross the Tropic of Cancer. Mazatlan is just South of it La Paz is North. The ferry is not cheap. For me, the bike and a standard room (recommended by many folks) it is $2733. MP or around $226. US. I am really doing it for the experience of an overnight sea voyage at the mouth of the Sea of Cortez. I am looking forward to it... the expected delays and hassles and all!

Manaña
  11. andyc740

andyc740 Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer:
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On another forum, somebody is claiming they have been asked downrange to produce their title at checkpoints, and once after an accident.

This has never, ever, no not once, been part of my experience.

I've seen titles used to obtain TVIPs, but there I use my registration. I've commented on this many, many times.

In fact, I've never brought my title to Mexico.

Anyone ever been asked to produce their bike title "downrange" inside Mexico?

I wanted to do a little homework before I replied "on the other forum" :freaky
  13. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I have been asked once or twice by Banjercito staff to present my title but I always show the reg and they've always accepted it. Possibly just a language skill issue. I find nothing on Banjercito's web site requiring a title over registration.
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    +1 on Playa Maz hotel. Great place to splurge on a trip. And MAZ has the best sunsets on the west coast, IMO.

Does the "standard room" include a sleeping berth? How many hours to make the crossing?
  15. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    I've yet to find a notary here that will do anything for less than a thousand pesos, and they'll probably tell you that you need a translation too.

Notarys in Mexico are not the same as the US. There are only so many allowed per so many population, so it's an incredibly lucrative profession. All the ones around here have huge office buildings and dozens (maybe hundreds) of staff.

My factura isn't notarized but I had no problem registering it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  16. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to ask for the key chain barcode tag from OXXO when you first top-up. You then just tell them how much you want to charge and they waft it over the scanner. It takes about 30 seconds. Very convenient.

Oh, and my spies inform me that Telcel will be offering 4G data soon (LTE I believe) Anyone else thinking "live ride report"? :D
  17. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    So if you miss the last boat on Sunday then you are out of luck if the Boquillas Hilton is booked, correct?

Kinda surprised that the Mexicans are requiring tourist cards in a frontier area, but what the heck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  18. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    plus one on the sunsets part....

the last time I crossed La Paz to Maz about 18 hours, the standard room was quite nice, 4 bunks and a bath with shower,
    and it's not hard to find some one to share it with if you want to bring the price down, the last time I got a cute little Chinese couple with me, they were exploring Mexico by car...
  19. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My bet is that the person asking for a title did not know what he was asking for...like SR said they don't have titles down here. I would also bet that if you show your registration it would be accepted, and probably the person asking would not know the difference..
  20. MikeS

MikeS You betcha! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    I think the term "title" spoken by a Mexican national means both title or registration. Not sure, but I suspect most Mexican border folks and police don't know the nuances of US title/registration paperwork. There are 50 different US states, issuing 50 different looking "titles". I get asked for title, I show registration, although that's only been at the border.