Freighting bikes from Australia to West coast USA

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by numbarse, Feb 3, 2013.

1. numbarse

numbarse n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a reliable, inexpensive freight company in Australia, Who can send Motorcycles to the west coast USA and return. Any recommendations would be appreciated ?
  2. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    I flew back from Honolulu and my friend told me to see if they could load the bike on board the aircarft I was on. At the time it was American Air. I showed up early at their freight office the day of my flight we loaded the Honda 750 into one of those metal baggaage containers and an hour after I landed in Los Angeles I was on my bike in rush hour traffic. The only thing I took off the bike was the windsheild. The freight charge was not that expensive , Keep in mind it was a straight thru flight not sure how well it would work for switching airlines. No crating, no dis-assembling, nothing special. Good luck!
  3. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:

It would be cheaper to buy a bike in California and sell it when your done.
  4. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    I recently asked a similar question; On my research I found air freight is not only the most reliable but at the end the cost will be similar to sea freight... You need to be prepare to pay around $ 3500.00 each way.
    Ask this guys: http://shipmybike.com.au/about.html
    Good luck!
  5. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are MANY variables at play, when you ship across the oceans. But long-distance, seafreight can be cheaper. For example, 5 years ago I payed only about 700 euros total to send my DL650 by sea from Sydney to Helsinki. It took about two months, though. Quotes for air were 2-3 times more.
  6. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
  7. boeingbiggy

boeingbiggy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi I have used a company from Victoria called Get Routed. Dave the owner does one shippment a year to the USA depending on where and how many bikes want to go will depend on where he ships them. He ships into Portland Oregan and usually the return date is about 10 to 12 weeks later. He looks after everything and tie the bikes down to to his own designed and built stands which are then bolted to the container floor. He also ships to Europe every year as well. I was happy with service and am using him this year for Europe.
  8. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    boeingbiggy,
    Does that shipper take bikes back to Australia from Portland? Do you know if anything special is required to ride my plated bike in Australia.