2009 URAL Gear-Up Sahara purchase

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by SamM, Feb 23, 2013.

1. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Today, I picked up my new to me 2009 URAL Gear-Up Sahara Limited Edition sidecar rig in Arlington, Virginia. I got a sweet deal from FOX 43 out of the the Flea Market Section of this board. I appreciate all of his help with my new purchase and the awesome deal. I love the bike and can't wait to take my second ride on it tomorrow. Got about 2 miles under my belt, tonight just after dark. AWESOME!

The purchase of this bike keeps me riding bikes, which I very much love to do. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 7 years old. My health has forced me onto 3-wheels and the doctors finally got their way. I have given up riding 2-wheeled motorcycles on-the-road.

Here's a few pictures of my new rig. Let the farkling begin. I have big plans for it. New gear is in the works.

SamM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    That rocks Sam :thumb

Nice outfit ... they always look better loaded.

Seriously hope it makes you happy.

3. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulation Sam...nice rig. I ride a 2007 Patrol. My excuse...I'm getting too old to ride 2 wheelers anymore but do not want to quit riding. I have to accept the fact. My knees give out from time to time when I have to support the bike with my foot. Ain't pretty when you fall down with the bike stopped & the beemers are heavy. Besides my recovery time from an injury takes longer nowadays.
    BTW, looking at your rig, looks like the leg shield are put on backwards. Maybe the PO did that to emulate an air scoop to cool the motor. 'nutin wrong just looks...well different. Enjoy your Ural...it's a hoot:clap
    Cheers,
    Charlie T
  4. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great buy Sam.
    These are addictive, fun to ride, even a challenge to drive. You are going to be thinking, why didn't I get one of these a long time ago?

Cannot recommend enough that you find a S/TEP class so you learn how these rigs react differently than on two wheels. Safe fun for you and not a danger to other drivers.

Maybe we'll meet up on the Alcan this summer.

CCjon
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    That is great news, congrats.

I see the day ahead of me, at some point where a Ural or Can Am Spider could be prescribed in similar fashion. Nice to know there is something like that out there for us.

Great choice you made, it will be fun to see and hear of your personalization on your new rig.

Stay safe and vigilant.
  6. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    My cardiac doctors feel that motorcycles are dangerous. No way! Why didn't I get that memo? Anyway, in Oct the main guy sat me down and said that it was time for me to seriously consider giving them up. Off-road riding is still ok, so I can still trailride with my farkled out 2009 KLX250S on backroads and trails. I just bought a hitch hauler for my Jeep Wrangler to haul the KLX around. I have a couple of other projects that I would love to get started on again. The Sahara gives me a commuter bike and is also a replacement for my Polaris 500HO atv, that was sold awhile back. Hunting season will be much easier on me now with the URAL. I can get into the woods with the 2WD.

My plans are to first learn how to operate it safely. The next step is to recoat the tub. There is a bit of rust in the seams near the bottom. This Sahara was painted not powdercoated. I may powdercoat the tub and then have Line-X applied to the inside and the bottom. I'll go with the stock tan color or as close as possible. My first purchase will be a windshield from Dave Heindl. I'll get it powdercoated also. A sidecar windscreen and new Heidenau K37 tires are also on my list.

I want to thank all the hack guys and especially the URAL owners for all the experinces shared here on the Board. You guys really made this possible. My wonderful wife Stacy also gets a big THANKS! She's terrific. Friday was our 21st wedding anniversary. We went out with friends and all I wanted to talk about was my new purchase. I tried not to be annoying but they knew I was excited. She has put up with over 15 years of me talking about URAL motorcycles without a word of complaint. She's AWESOME!

Once I get into the bike I will post a thread on it and what I do. Anyone have a new topsecret aircleaner system that they'd like to see tested. I'd buy one and do some alpha testing on it.
  7. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the new ride! A Ural with a sidecar is a timeless look and just plain cool. I hope to find something similar someday when I get tired of picking up my porky GSA.
  8. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a beautiful rig, Sam. I sold my 06 Ural Tourist a few years ago, and regretted selling it almost immediately. My next rig will be a 2WD drive Gear Up or Patrol model. At age 70 (71 next month), I'll be making the switch within a year or two.

No doubt, Ural's are tons of fun. I just hope they fuel inject those engines before I make the move.
  9. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I looked at new ones at a recent motorcycle show here. The news ones are powder coated, OMG, the red is gorgous and I loved that orange one with the canoe paddle!

As I look at other sidecar rigs and kits, I just can't get excited about a fiberglass car. Gotta have metal (Ural).

[​IMG]
  10. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    VERY cool rig, Sam. :thumb

You will LOVE it!!

Where did you get the bag? :ear

Looks like it belongs there.
  11. ZONKR

ZONKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that's a Mag's Bag. I have a green one on my GearUp and it is designed to fit perfectly on the luggage rack. I don't think they make them anymore.
  12. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    The bag did not come with the rig. We negotiated on the price a little, so he didn't include it. I was going to buy the bag once I got there but he had already sold. The pictures that I posted were from the PO.
  13. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    re "I'm getting too old to ride 2 wheelers anymore but do not want to quit riding."

I sort of look at the purchase of mine as a pre-emptive strike. I'm still doing ok with the GS but being 60 there may not be too many years left managing its weight. But the Ural is a hoot in its own way, plus I no longer fear riding on ice/snow. Enjoy your rig.
    Jim
  15. Paint shaker

Paint shaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the ride!! Hope you enjoy it! :freaky
  16. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am waiting on a GU 2004 model to be delivered. I know how you feel. Be safe on that thing.
  17. Mikehusa

Mikehusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought one of those a few weeks ago and love it. Has it's quirks but bad weather/road conditions havent stopped me.
  18. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Congratulations! You are going to have a blast. I love mine.
  19. Ivan Rider

Ivan Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep that's a Mag's Bag. She lost a leg in a sidecar accident and don't make them anymore. There were custom fit for the Ural Rack.
  20. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! I love the new rig. Haven't been riding as I still need to get it legal. That will be taken care of this week. Can't wait to get out there and put some miles on the Sahara. I'm looking to attend a sidecar safety class as soon as possible.