Bilt Adventure Helmet Report

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by G19Tony, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Also note - this harder black foam that lines the helmet seems to press-in easily with the round end of a screwdriver handle. At least it seems that it will form to my head in any way I want it to (I'm not pressing it in that much; maybe 2 or 3mm).

Edit: I've complained enough - so one area I've found that really isn't as bad as some have stated is the clear visor. Yes, it is curved, but the distortion is barely noticeable, and 100% livable with. Rode home after it was dark this evening and was reminded of this good feature.
  2. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Finally took the helmet out for a longer ride.

For the money it's just fine. It ain't great, but I have along oval head and, while I admit to taking the round end of a screwdriver handle against the center front black foam to make a space up there for the top forward point of my head, it didn't cause any discomfort.
  3. REMORA

REMORA adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this, Mambo Dave. I'm not sure how it would affect the integrity of the helmet, safety-wise, but I've had enough of the pressing pains above and behind my ears when wearing the helmet for longer rides. So now I will use your screw-the-helmet technique.:evil
  4. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
  5. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    :eek1

:clap :freaky

:wings

I got mine before the price went up :D

:*sip* Seriously, though - the helmets aren't worth $199. Period.

Anyone who has owned a quality helmet will notice the shortcomings, cheap parts, etc. IMHO, for those it fits it's worth $130 or $140.

My thinking is that it's just a marketing ploy, again, where they have to show them as more expensive to make people more apt to buy when they're $99. What better time to do that than after the riding season for most of the country has shut down for the winter?
  6. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I may need to just list the bilt helmets my wife and I bought. Neither one of ours were worn that much and we both have moved on to other helmets.
  7. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more. I think they're only worth the $99 they charge.
    I may do the same thing. I'd rather have an old, outdated Arai. The visor clarity and the comfort level are what make them worth it to me.
  8. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the new AFX FX-41DS available mid December with a street price of around $130, I'd say it isn't worth a penny more than the $99 price I paid for mine. I have both the Bilt and an AFX FX-39DS, and the AFX is definitely a step up in quality.

The new FX-41DS has the internal sun shade, and as long as the quality is at least as good as the FX-39DS, it will blow the Bilt away...
  9. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

typical house brand stuff.
  10. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    .....and now it's back down to $99 again. :rolleyes
  11. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I bought one last week and like it so far, all my rides with it have been below freezing but works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought one of the Explorer Adventure helmets last night.

Pearl White, size small.

What is odd for me is I usually wear size medium helmets. My size is the no-man's land between small and medium usually (22-22.125" is my measurement).

However, wearing the helmet last night at home I'm thinking I may need to check out an extra-small. Dunno, the helmet seemed to become loose after 15 minutes of walking around my house like a stormtrooper. But I do not have any hot/tight spots. *shrug*

I may try another small when I'm at Cycle Gear this afternoon but what sucks is what I bought was the last small in pearl white. Will try another color to see about fitment with size small.

The reason I'm bringing this up is reading through this entire thread, it seems everyone had to go UP in size. I'm going the other way. Not sure if they have changed things with the helmet but FYI.

BTW, I consider myself an intermediate oval.

Bought mine for $99. :clap
  13. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After wearing my size medium for a week's trip, I agree that it feels big and I would need a small next time. I wear a medium in Arai and Shark and this helmet feels more like HJC in that it is a little big on me.
  14. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I'm in between a L and XL so I bought a L in hopes that it will loosen up !!.Right now it rips my ears off getting it off and on !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue. See my post #82
  16. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, think the XS might be better.

They didn't have one in pearl white but should have it for me early this week.

I wore a matte black one for a few minutes in the store and it felt only slightly tighter than the small I currently have.

Need to wear it for at least 15-20 minutes to know if it will "loosen up" like the small felt like it did for me last week.
  17. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I have the XS and it seems to fit better. I guess I may also be used to the feel of my KBC VR full face helmet which is a "race fit" in that it's pretty snug with the liner even after 1.5 years of use. My KBC is a size medium.

The Bilt will probably be my commuter helmet in the summer here in central Florida. I will say the air flow is there, that's for sure. Some wind noise but I've only ridden with it up to about 50 mph and for only a few minutes. I think if I was going for a longer ride I'd be using earplugs. My commute to/from work is about 15 minutes.

I also have the dark smoke shield which looks dark but wearing it, it's not super dark. I even had to use the drop down visor with the dark smoke shield since the sun was right in front of me during one of my recent rides with the helmet. Nice "go to" option for whenever this happens.

Overall I can't really complain since it was $99 and I really like the pearl white color. Kudos to Bilt on this helmet that is overall very good, but not necessarily great to me.
  19. bradp

bradp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are currently down to 69.99, the guy at cycle gear said this will probably go through march.
  20. 407Guy

407Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang... $70...