Why you should buy a Ural

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Biebs, Jul 11, 2012.

1. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I assume you know that you can leave it in first when you do it? My 2010 Gear Up (and I assume all other Urals) goes into neutral from 1st just by putting it into reverse. I have a tank shifter and find it easier to find neutral doing it this way as opposed to using my foot shifter.
    TurTal likes this.
  2. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be taking my first "trip" on my ural this weekend, only had it a few weeks but I'll be riding 200 miles north to the catskills. On my bike this would be a relatively mundane ride, but since it is my first longer Ural ride, I am really looking forward to it.
    TurTal likes this.
  3. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    We followed this thread instead of the "shouldn't" thread. Good choice. The wife's 2012 patrol, purchased last month from UralNE (great people):

[​IMG]

I am blown away by how much smoother and quiet it is than I expected it be.

It's a real blast.
    Antti, TurTal and cateyetech like this.
  4. Thermos

Thermos Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nice!

Great color.

-T
  5. Meinbmw

Meinbmw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that's some funny shit ....

6. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    The borscht flavored kool-aid maybe stronger than the orange kool-aid the KTM riders drink. Still, not as strong as the feeling of superiority that belongs to the motorcyclist master race.

Dirty communist Urals!

I want one ._.
    TurTal and cateyetech like this.
  7. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that's a candidate for front page pics :D
  8. cateyetech

cateyetech Honky Cat

Oddometer:
    I thought (scary I know) I'd add my .02 to this dead thread. Just shows the happy owners are too busy ridden & posting RRs to post here :lol3

I read all the woes & why NOT's but went on and found a 2003 2wd Gear Up for $5k with 4400km a couple hundred miles away, so off we went!
    I'm a ASE master tech & have worked on motorcycles for a living for the last 21 years, so when it broke I would fix it.
    This was 3 years ago and this has been my daily driver and ADV dual sport ride for all but a few weeks, shortly after we got it had to repair few things from previous owner :dirtdog
    I still have other sickles but rarely ride them anymore, even completing selling some.
    I was going through phots & decided to make & share a video/slideshow of my 3 years of Ural ownership-riding-wrenching-modifying-sharing

If you've got 10 minuets to kill check it out :-)

Urals are not for everyone, no type of motorcycle is, but I'll ALWAYS HAVE ONE & it'll be close to the garage door because I'll BE RIDING IT!!!

You never know where your sickle life will take you :ricky Forever Two " no Three" Wheels!!!
  9. professir

professir Buttugly ol biker

Oddometer:
    Just got mine. A new left over 2013 Gaucho Rambler. Only put a couple hundred on it but every inch I love it more! We have high plans for this summer. Health shoved us off 2 wheels and this one will put us in the wind!

Attached Files:

10. Steppy

Steppy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My list of bikes owned:

1. Suzuki TS 185
    2. Honda CB500/4
    3. Kawasaki Z1R 900
    4. Yamaha XT600 Tenere - rode it across Oz
    5. Harley XLH1100
    6. Harley FXE1200
    7. Yamaha RD350LC
    8. Honda CB750/4
    9. Honda XR350
    10. Honda XT600
    11. Yamaha RX125
    12. BMW R1150GS
    13. Kawasaki KLR650
    14. Harley XLH883
    15. Suzuki DR650
    16. Triumph Bonneville - was going to put a chair on this but too expensive
    17. 2010 Ural T - still got her - been across Oz 3 times
    18. Honda CTX200 Ag bike
    19. Harley XLH1200 - rode it around Oz
    20. BMW R1200RTP (P denotes ex Police bike)
    21. Harley FLSTN Softail Deluxe - still got it, probably not for long.

The Ural is by far the most fun of them all.

My favourite car of the 31 I've owned was new 1990 Mahindra Stockman - google that if you dare.

It's interesting that my 2 most favourite vehicles are retro.

Here's my girl...on the way to Tasmania 2014...8,798km round trip 05 Now she's dirty.JPG
  11. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Honda ST1100 when I bought the Ural. After sitting in the shed unused for 12 months I finally sold the Honda.
    TurTal, Bar None and cateyetech like this.
  12. msblu79

msblu79 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard that Ural imports about 1200 a year and the current total here in the US is about 6,000 rigs or thereabouts. Not sure if the numbers are correct but I think if they import more than 1200 a year the National Highway folks and the EPA will impose stricter regs on them making it nearly impossible or extremely expensive to meet the standards.
  13. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that there are about 600 imported into the US and total production from the factory in Russia is about 1000.
    I'm sure that the Urals imported into the USA have to meet the same EPA standards as any other motorcycles. One reason that Ural went to EFI in 2014.
    JustKip and norton(kel) like this.
  14. offroad

offroad Mogger

Oddometer:
    Another Ural booster here. Two plus years on my '11 Gear Up and I was still head over heels when I decided my neglected '02BMW GS Adv needed more love. So I hacked it!

Now that the GS has its own Russian tub (Dnepr) it gets a lot more use, but there is no way I am going to sell the Ural.

Like many, I love the fire roads and skid trails that are common here in Western NC. The Ural bashes along as fast as I want to go in the boonies and has more clearance with the exhaust mod. When I want to go faster, especially climbing up local blue highways through the mountains, the GS Adv is the tool of choice. I especially like the CSM anti sway bar for higher speed cornering. It really is about which tool for the job you have in mind. But if I could only afford the space or funds for one sidecar rig, I could have stopped at the Ural and been quite happy.

Whatever sidecar you buy, as long as it is set up properly, you will have a lot of fun. It takes me back to the thrills I first felt in a fast go kart, almost too much fun for a (so called) adult.
    krautman, TurTal, cateyetech and 2 others like this.
  15. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    No middle ground on Urals.
    First and only rig so far, still my first choice when going for a ride - anywhere.
    I'd sell and replace with another sidecar outfit just to experience the difference, not too brand fussy. Love the old timey look.
    I have nothing bad to say about the experience of owning a Ural, still laugh outloud while riding it.
    Gotta go refill my Koolaid glass.
    Bar None, cateyetech and TurTal like this.
  16. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you've already been drinking from the pitcher

:hide

but seriously, I'd have a Ural if I could tolerate slower than my Bonnie rig.
  17. Wambo

Wambo On the road to nowhere

Oddometer:
    Think of it as a vintage bike and it will be no problem. Don't get rid of your Bonnie!
    krautman and Bar None like this.
  18. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a very good way to look at it. With a few exceptions, it IS a vintage bike. As for my Bonnie, I'm moving the tub to my baby GS tomorrow, then probably selling the '10 Bonneville SE.
  19. curlesw

curlesw 05 RT n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent video, thanks for sharing...I really enjoyed the music, what's the name of the band/songs?

20. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's my Ural! :lol3
    TurTal and FR700 like this.