World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Roam

Roam If you want to

Oddometer:
    Just started playing last weekend. Would like to join the clan. I'm HeavyIndustry on WoT.

Re: The red screens, from what I've read this is a bug on 32 bit systems. Reinstalled Win8 as 64bit and haven't had any more red screens

Thanks,
    Hugh
  2. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Does anyone use a trackball type mouse to play WoT? any feedback of how well it suits the gameplay?

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of piecing together a functional unit with the junk ones in the retired office supply pile.
  3. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Hugh, invite away.....welcome to FYYFF, Foreign Youth Yearning For Freedom....:deal :lol3
  4. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:

Asked and answered in this very thread, Yes, I find it far superior to a normal mouse. Much less stress on the wrist, much better play. Just my opinion. There are three little sensors under the ball that need regular cleaning, more often than an old ball mouse used to need, it seems, but it's a simple thing to pop it out, de-gunk with a pair of fine tweezers, and pop the ball back in. I can do it on a long load screen if needed.
  5. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just sent out another batch of PMs With the TS info.
    Sent to everyone that is in the clan, or asked and has been invited, and I didn't already send one to.

If I missed anyone or you have questions let me know.
  6. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I'm on at about 8:30 AM Eastern Standard time, and I play until about noon.

Last evening I woke up early for my night shift, and the clan was really active... so i just had to see if I could fit in to a few battles with you guys. We all had a real good time, although I think the only battle both platoons made it into was one where we were on opposite sides. FPGT72 was kind enough to put up with me and platoon with me. The first battle he and I ended up in had me lagging worse than I've ever seen, even through my first two or three encounters (and kills), and I really thought the lag was going to have my tank just wander out into the open. It kept moving, turning, and going forward well after I stopped using the keys. But somehow it cleared up enough for this:
    Victory!
    Battle: El Halluf Monday, July 02, 2012 8:07:33 PM
    Vehicle: KV-5
    Experience received: 2,882 (x2 for the first victory each day) (wonder what that would have been with premium?)
    Credits received: 83,410
    Battle Achievements: Böelter's Medal, Steel Wall, Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Edit: I got eight kills, but was sorta stressful... initially I thought our team wasn't doing anything, but in retrospect they did everything right. A team that stays alive and just holds the opfor's capping and advances at bay long enough to allow something like my KV-5 to do a flanking operation is a very good team. I always think it's kinda hilarious when a big ol' KV-5 is sweeping deep behind enemy lines alone. Our team can see I'm there on the map, but most of their team is clueless I'm back there, tunnel-vision aimed at our team on the opposite side.

FPGT72 certainly held up his end of the battles, and it was a great little platoon we had there.
  7. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Got ya and welcome aboard! :freaky
  8. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was fun lastnight....hopefully with tomorrow off I can play a little later tonight....and some on wed. during the day.

But by far I was the limiting factor....I am clueless about "how" to really do well in this game...I think I just get lucky or the other guys are that much worse then myself....if that is possible. But I do have fun playing, and I do have fun taunting the other guys. Don't do it much when we platoon, still trying to figure out that mic thing....and I have just driven out in the open or not moved while talking...or hit the push to talk button and think the tank sould be moving....hay I am slow....but I will get the hang of it....and it is a ball....I think we did pretty well last night....I actually don't think I am doing too bad I am taking so many pills these days I rattle when I walk....can't wait till I am all better.

9. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I had to uninstall my (Vista 32) sevice pack update and Nvidia update, then my headset worked again. Of course, I got the critical error and had to edit my registry again too. I never would have found any of that in Encyclopedia Britannica:lol3

I hafta work on team tactics too. Not so used to working with others. The Priest wouldn't hit anything last night.

That 45mm on the Valentine is not made for shooting KV-1's:norton
  10. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Geez, they should just not allow AMX 13 75's to play in their own tier of battles. It just isn't fair to the rest of the guys; picking on tier 8 and tier 9 heavies is what they are meant for.

[​IMG]
  11. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    I think the 13 75 is the reward for not killing yourself during the grind of sucky tanks preceeding it.
  12. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea I really don't know how to work with others as well....not sure if I should go with the team mate, or go off somewhere else. In the platoons I have been in it has most of the time been all tanks, a few times I have platooned with arty and that is easy.

Playing with you guys is actually one of the bright spots of the day......and I seem to win more.

I know what you mean about the valentine....I had a hard time with a B1 the other day but managed to track it, then I just picked it to death....took about 15 shots or so. Same with the Churchill....I think there should be some kind of crew degradation to the enemy tank after being hit time and time again like that. You know in the real world that crew would be long gone.

What do you guys think of the T150 on the soviet side....finally researched it last night, but have not bought it yet....I want to get up to the JS series tanks......and why do they call them IS and not JS....they are Joseph Stalin series tanks....wonder if it is a russian thing.
  13. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Joseph is spelled Iosef in Russian....hence IS.

The T-150 isn't bad after it's upgraded to the 107.....roughly equivalent to a KV-2. I would imagine I'll have one again at some point.
  14. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    Cyrillic/Latin, J is "I". Ioseph Stalin.

Damn, 205'd. :lol3
  15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:

Shoot now I remember that....it was in a indiana jones holy grail movie....where he is jumping on the letters to get to the grail.
  16. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I thought that was H?
  17. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it was Jehovah....but it started with an I....he steps on the J and goes dummy in latin jehovah starts with an I.

Man I think I really geeked my self there.
  18. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    :deal:lol3
  19. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    At first it didn't hit me as to how to reply to this when you posted earlier this morning, but now I know what I'd say.

When I platoon up with a teammate, I want and expect that whatever tank he brings, he will know and understand enough to realize its strengths and weaknesses, and to know how to play it. Be aware and be your own player enough to realize how and where you can best help your team (like, say, that KV-2 with thew slow-to-load 152mm... that's a close-up and a city tank, even if you're in a tier 8 battle, even if it means that two hits will take you down, such is the roll of the dice - might as well be of whatever help you can be). Now if that so happens to mesh with whatever tank I am driving, then you can hang if you wish and if you feel the route I am taking is correct. If you're, say, the other top-tier tank on the team beside me and you feel that your extra gun is needed at the other side (say on a Defense-side of an Assault map), then I'm fine with that.

Likewise, specialty tanks are something that if you platoon with a teammate of a similar or the same tank, they're going to just about always work better together (two AMX 13 75's (which are not to be considered scout tanks 98% of the time), for example or two Type 59's, two IS-8's, etc.). If you platoon up and we agree to run something like those, then I'd expect ultra-aggressiveness, quick-thinking and team work.

Last night when I was in a KV-5 and you were in a KV-2, I'd say you did just fine at doing what your tank was meant to do for that map. The KV-2 cannot hang with the KV-5 through thick incoming fire, but can follow if the KV-5 scouts the way, and it can certainly big a big deterrent in city maps right alongside the KV-5 for around-corner fighting.

---------

I think it's clear that I believe in players knowing their tanks. That can mean spending a little time in training rooms... don't write them off. :D
    It can also mean studying up on the tactics some people throw up on the forums for each specific tank. I read up on the KV-5 for a long while before ever buying one, then read more on it afterward. Same with the T25 AT, same with the 13 75, T1 HT, T29, and probably a few others.
  20. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    TBH, I think we need to stop worrying about running the same tier, and start building platoons that complement each other.