Vans!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hayduke, Feb 18, 2009.

1. KidKawie

KidKawie Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    :poser
  3. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    My RHD 4 wheel drive Mitsu Delica, imported from Japan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ever since my dad camperized an old Dodge Tradesman in '73, I've loved vans.
  4. smithy1

smithy1 been here a while

Oddometer:
    Great thread and some real cool vans!

A local transmission shop has had this Ford off to the side for at least a few months. Wouldn't this be a great vehicle to haul the bike to the enduro's! I am tempted to see if she needs a new home...

[​IMG]
  5. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Always loved my VW's only hate Kombi camper's....Kombis are made to jump

this is my kind of Kombi
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyT2zq00GTU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyT2zq00GTU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Or a Mitsubishi L300 anyone
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CFa9-BND2o4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CFa9-BND2o4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  6. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Funny I was looking at this one yesterday and wondering if my WR would fit in it:D http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/1687345496.html
    Not that I want to spend the money, nor is it practical, but it is cool as hell.
    I say go for it, we'll notice it at Delaware
  7. smithy1

smithy1 been here a while

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. Not sure that I could "sell" it to my wife right now. Maybe I could sneak it home after dark and hide it behind the shop. (Nope, that is not a real good idea.)

And no, don't expect to see it a Delaware.
  8. snakebit

snakebit growing old disgracefully

Oddometer:
    No, I haven't taken any pictures of the build. I'm very close to finishing and will try to figure out posting pictures once I'm done. The last major step will be building and installing a short pop top something like the early VW westys.

As far as wiring and plumbing, I come from a background of building, repairing, maintaining and living aboard sailboats and pretty much used marine equipment and practices for plumbing and electrical. Most boat equipment is better quality than RV stuff in my opinion. A seemingly little thing like using tinned marine wire can avoid a lot of problems down the road.

The boatbuilding section in your local library might be helpful, there are a lot of very comprehensive books on amateur boatbuilding around. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try to help.
  9. snakebit

snakebit growing old disgracefully

Oddometer:

Interesting, I checked the EPA numbers (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Ford2003.shtml) at it seems the pickups do get a little better mileage than a van with the same engine/transmission. Gearing? Aerodynamics?

I actually wanted an E-250 with the small v-8 but came across this 150 six at a price I couldn't turn down.
  10. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy

Oddometer:
    Lots of Ford E series vans in here. A question for you Ford van owners, how do they hold up over the long haul? From what I've read it seems the engines and transmissions are pretty rugged. But what about all the little stuff? Do the interiors fall apart? Do they rattle like a tin can full of rocks? Suspensions and steering get loose and wonky?
    What say ye?
  11. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Last Ford we had was a 1995 E250 (5.8L). We sold it with 165K, including a good 30,000 towing trailers. We'd replaced brakes, radiator, water pump etc. Nothing major: engine and trans were great. Ford has major market share in vans.

We bought a Chevy to replace it as it was easier to get a cargo van with cruise control. But that one only has about 75K on it.
  12. KidKawie

KidKawie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My conversion van is based on a 99 E250 chassis, 5.4 V8. I bought it specifically for MX a couple years ago with 80k on the odo. Sucks driving on windy days, had to put some work into the front suspension replacing the shocks and some bushings. It has 115k on it and drives relitavely smooth (for a van). I own a courier service and we run Dodge cargo vans. The Dodge's rot on the floor of the bed, which is why I steered clear of them when looking for my conversion. The Dodge engine is great but the trannys blow initially at around 150-200k. After a rebuild or swap with a Jasper unit they work fine. I have an 02 B2500 right now with 400k. Just rebuilt the front end. We got rid of a 95 Dodge B1500 a while back with 550k. The valve covers were never off the engine, swapped the trans once and rebuilt the rear once.

I always liked the Ford vans after the redesign in 94?. The Dodges still sported that 70's look up until 03 which turns me off for my personal vehicle. The Ford trans shifts great and the engine runs smooth. The only problem I had with the engine was one of the coils blew. There's a coil per cylinder. It has a nice cockpit feel too.
  13. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    AWESOME!!!! :clap:clap
  14. Turbocelica

Turbocelica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a van that might be of interest to somebody. Especially cool if you can register it out of California. It's a '76 Ford Van w/460 and Quadra-something 4x4 equiped. They're asking $1200 with a Salvage title. If someone out of the area is interested in it I can go get more pictures & info if needed.

http://www.autogator.com/details.php?vstockno=R4951&template=builder#

Justin
  15. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw this at the big swap meet last week and thought of Duke.

[​IMG]
  16. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    So far, I've taken my van to

Wright's Beach campout X 2
    Big Sur campout
    Baja
    Los Angeles area
    South Arizona
    Death Valley X2
    Tomey/ Panoche BLM / Mercey Hot Springs
    Gold Country campout
    Stoneyford campout
    A really cool BMW rally in Colorado
    Markleeville campout
    Sierra Hot Springs
    Travertine Hotsprings
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    Mammoth Lakes
    Benton Hot Springs
    Tonopah Rest Stop (one nighter), NV
    Remington Hot Springs (Lake Isabella/Kern River)
    Moab, Utah
    Capital Reef, Utah
    Crested Butte, CO
    Ouray, CO
    Zion, Utah
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Extraterrestrial Hwy, Nevada
    Fish Lake, Utah
    Mystic Hot Springs, Utah
    Buena Vista, CO
    Strawberry Hot Springs, CO
    a couple of Walmart parking lots too

That's all I can think of right now. I've had it for about two years now, I think. I get more use out of it than an RV and I'm just getting started.:clap

Use what you have and get out there when you can.
  17. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    AWESOME footage of old custom vans in this vid!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Zko7pBeHkk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Zko7pBeHkk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  18. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy

Oddometer:
    :super

How goes the van search Hayduke?
  19. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm not really searching right now. We had to replace Tami's broken XT (with a WR250R) so there went the van fund. Some day, though. :deal
  20. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    That is a rad video. Yeah, I said rad. :drums