Custom GPS Cradles for select Garmins and SPOTs

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Stovebolt, Feb 12, 2010.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    No affiliation but I wanted to drop a line here. Dave (Aka: Stovebolt) makes great products. I have a SPOT mount that has been on my bike a while now and it is fantastic, good looking and rock solid. If you have doubts about purchasing one of these you can be sure that you are receiving a A+ product.
  2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Thank you Steve and Charlie!

I am very fortunate to have such good people as customers such as yourselves. I'm glad you are satisfied, of course... but for you to take the time to say something so complimentary is very gracious. This makes me try all the harder to make things great for everybody, every chance I get. I sincerely appreciate it!

All the best my friends,

Stovey
  3. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Off-line for 4 days until 6/24 and will answer any/all PM's this thread upon returning.

Thanks again for all the support and patronage!

All the best,

Stovey
  4. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Everything ordered has been shipped as of today.

Will advise when and as the new Montana series is in production and available. Possibly be end of August.

Thanks for all!

Stove
    y
  5. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    I've been tooling up for the new Garmin Montana's and I should have some of these available soon.

Carbon Holstex material. Same price as all the others. $75. PM to order.

Thanks!

Stovey

[​IMG]

Sorry for the Crappy pictures...

[​IMG]

Carbon HOLSTEX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Montana and a 60Csx

[​IMG]
    Montana and a Gen2 SPOT

[​IMG]
    Montana and a Gen1 SPOT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    60Csx and a Gen2 SPOT

[​IMG]
    SPOT and a SPOT (Gen1 and a Gen2)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Gen2 SPOT installation note*

You MUST remove both safety covers over the HELP and OKAY activation buttons prior to installation into my cradles.

[​IMG]
    These things gotta come off before you put a Gen2 SPOT into a Buzz-Bomb cradle

[​IMG]
    GEN2 SPOT only - remove back cover over battery compartment.

[​IMG]
    Safety covers are designed to be removable. Slip them off from their keeper tab, no tools needed.

[​IMG]
    Get them both off, one from each side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Make it look like this, both safety covers removed. Then install into Buzz-Bomb cradle after that.

This procedure is a condition of use. Thanks!

Rally on,

Stovey

All cradles still $75 each. I pay mailing to ADV members via US Postal Service, Flat Rate Priority Mail
  6. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    All current orders have been mailed out and I'm building another run of these to have on hand.

Current production is in Carbon HOLSTEX and it is in matte finish; really does approach the actual look of carbon fiber. So far, so good. Order here via PM and I can verify availability and get one out to you. Thanks to all for your support and orders!

All the best,

Stovey
  7. Harty

Harty Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer:
    Any news on that cradle for the Garmin 62 yet?? :wink::wink:
  8. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Alas, I will not be able to approach another tool-up until over this coming winter, I fear. I know - I've said that before, indicating I might try and do the popular G62 series over-winter last year... But I just wasn't able to pull it off. I anticipated tooling up for the 62 as my next project, but I got talked into the Montana first. The next on the radar is the 62 series... but I can't say when. I apologize my good man, sincerely.

But I did manage both SPOTs. I don't have alot of stock in anything on hand, but I am making more as I write this, and trying to lay in a few model cradles as I go. Some are already spoken for, and some will be handy to have to keep so customers won't have to wait if/when they might order. Anyway, I'll post up here when I have some more and I'll definitely post when I get to the 62's. With a day job and a full-time project for the past nine months keeping me hopping, it was all I could manage tooling up for the Montana's. That took me 6 weeks to get accomplished.

Thank you, Good Sir, for the inquiry and I apologize for not having them yet for the 62's.

All the best,

Stovey
  9. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. I have got to get me one of these for my 60Csx ..
  10. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    RevBill,

PM sent....

Thanks!

Stovey

11. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Can take and ship orders from current stock up until I leave for annual desert journey across Nevada next week. Have several Garmin 60-series and new Montana's on hand in Carbon Holstex, ready to go. A few Gen2 SPOT cradles also in same Carbon Holstex as well, but can't ship any SPOT cradles until I receive signed liability form from each SPOT cradle customer. (These can be printed out from a paste and copy a few pages back in this thread. They can also be scanned and e-mailed back to me.)

After leaving next week, I'll be on the road and can mail any cradles I may have with me, but will only be checking e-mail and forum traffic sporadically until returning at the end of October. So, get them next week while I can correspond with each customer prior to shipping, or order hit and miss during mid-end of October.

Thanks to one and all for the orders and support!

All the best,

Stovey
  12. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please don't take this the wrong way. As much as I really like the GPS cradles you offer, Why would anyone have a RAM mounted SPOT?

The SPOT is designed to stay with you on your body. I have seen a few guys on the trail with the RAM mounted SPOT. It does not seem very smart. If you become separated from the bike, the SPOT becomes useless.
  13. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    You won't get an argument from me on your point, ballistic. It's a good point.

I'll be direct though, and answer your question - "Why would anyone have a RAM-mounted SPOT?"

My answer would be that it is a matter of personal preference, and you would have to ask "anyone." I would also present that many people actually have given it some thought and realize that they need to be in contact with the device in order to use it and therefore make it useful. I believe that people share the like-minded method to mount and use SPOTS and similar devices in their cockpits, rather than on their persons, because they want to.

Others still, use the SPOTs on arm bands or carry in jacket pockets or inside backpacks. For me personally, I NEVER use my SPOT on the handlebars while snowmobiling, and strongly discourage anybody and everybody to consider that and practice likewise. It's my only crusade in the hunt regarding the issue you bring up, ballistic. People need to take responsibility for accidental (negligent) activations of these things, and by wrecking, rolling, crashing and losing a sled over a cornice or down through the trees - which are things we do to them constantly and even on purpose in some cases where I live and ride here in the Tetons - mounting any kind of tracking device/PLB in the cockpit (or anywhere ON the sled, not on your body) is safety stupid and careless/negligent. The device needs to be on your body. In your pack - wherever safe and accessible.

There is a very easily understood illustration in the mountain sledding example that illustrates your point, plus the point concerning accidental/negligent activation. Apply same logic to all other motorsport activities as far as I'm concerned and season to taste. I believe the same logic applies. I choose to mount and use my personal SPOT in the cockpit on my bike, however, and take responsibility for that. With full consideration of the factors surrounding it. I don't encourage, endorse or advocate any particular location for mounting or method of carry, with the exception of the snowmobiling example I gave above. The same logic does apply, but what I believe does vary are the degrees to which the likelihood of certain crashing related unintentional consequences may or may not occur.

Thank you for thinking this out, and presenting your point. It's a good one that I hope each and every SPOT user considers well, long and hard - and continues to re-evaluate, when he opts to mount or carry a SPOT or other PLB. I have seen many cockpit/handlebar mounted devices and SPOTS. On bikes. I have no problem mounting mine there and no beef with anybody else who does.

Sidebar - RAM also makes cradles for SPOT. To use with RAM mounts. To mount to your thrillcraft/motorcycle. So no matter what, you won't get an argument from me on the issue. I like my cradles better.

Thanks for liking my GPS cradles that I offer.

Sincerely,

Stovey

14. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how you explained that. I was thinking the same thing! I'm getting ready to buy a SPOT and was thinking about where I want to keep it. Decided to keep it on me.

It is very cool that you do have the option for guys that want to mount them on their bikes.
  15. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    Any reason your spot cradle can't be used as a protective case on a person??

Still looking to get me one for my 60csx ..

Sent from RevBill's iPhone using Tapatalk .. Ride Blessed y'all ..
  16. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Good question,

Answer/opinion - absolutely no reason not to use as a cage on the person or in luggage for protective purposes. There is every reason to "encapsulate" the device if so desired, with as much protection as you want to, and my cradle form factor would arguably 'hit a home run' in that regard. One would, however, strongly desire to NOT have a RAM ball attached to it while not needed in this example, as all that would do is give an unwieldy ball in your personal carry when not needed as a bar mount. It would seem to be a fairly hardened and true protective option otherwise. I'd say, it might make out better off than a soft human tissue argument with a tree, or a guardrail, or a moose, or any other "bump in the trail" or battlefield than if left alone. The Garmins are pretty sturdy units, in my opinion, and so are the other GPS manufactured units and SPOTS, in and of themselves. But naked on the dashboard, and in crashes, and just unprotected - they are relatively more protected in a full-on cradle than not.

Can't beat logic...

...unless of course, you can!

Anyway, my two cents and thanks for the questions and interest. Your opinions and viewpoints are appreciated and valid.

Many thanks, and

Rally on,

Stovey

17. woodwelder

woodwelder The Metal Art Man

Oddometer:
    I just got a (new to me) 60cx and would like to get one of your cradles. They look great. Do you have them in stock? PM sent.
  18. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    PM'd and shipped - Thanks!

Stovey

19. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stovebolt,

I contacted you last year about a mount/case for my 60csx. Life and work got in the way and I never got the deal done.
    Anyway, do you have one in stock?

Bundy
  20. Stovebolt

Oddometer:
    Hi mxbundy,

I have one of these I can send to you. PM sent.

Also, your Seat Concepts seats are really great - everybody around the shop I work in loves them! Great job...

Rally on,

Stovey