What did you do IN your Garage today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    For better/different leverage you might want to add a second attachment point for the upper bar a couple inches lower.

Jim :brow
  2. Ratski

Ratski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not sure if it counts, but after work, I mounted my ice tires for my KTM, but I did it in the basement. :dunno
  3. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Put the last piece of sheetrock up on the ceiling. One more wall to to go then get the garage door openers back up and running so I can put the cars back inside and out of the cold.
  4. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I considered that and still might do it but first am going to try adding 2x boards for front wheels, skinny vintage tires, etc. and see if that does the trick, raising the wheel 1.5" or 3" will change the angle of the linkage and the leverage quite a bit...I set it up initially so it will handle the fattest MC tires I have with one board across the legs.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :thumb

6. kirkster70

kirkster70 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you could do semi tires with that bad boy! Nice!
  7. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! it actually is not as big or heavy duty as it looks in the picture but I did not have a wheel off a bike to give a sense of scale....but it should be able to pop the bead on big stiff tubeless MC tires at least
  8. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    If possible, Victor

post a video of a GS rear wheel with a Kenda Big Block tire?

notorious for hard to break down.

looks nice, I like the idea and design

9. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I don't have that specifically but do need to change the rear Tourance tire on my Tiger 955i soon and I'll post something on that (if it works ;-) I didn't design it myself, looked at a bunch of MC bead breakers on the web and based mine on the one that looked the best
  10. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worked on this little guy. Sig Mosquito (.22 Cal), having problems with the slide "sticking" back while shooting, needs a "thumb bump" to go back into battery.

[​IMG]

Polished up the feed ramp to try and aid feeding.

[​IMG]

Also noticed the slide was pretty rough and was dragging very hard on the hammer, I think that may be the biggest issue. Polished up really well, we'll see on Tuesday when I go to the range how she runs.

[​IMG]
  11. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Finished installing 1/4" pegboard all the way around our garage so that I can mount as much as possible on the walls. Our garage is a two car but doesn't have much extra space.
    [​IMG]
  12. Failo

Failo Is it spring yet???

Oddometer:
    Just another KTM 950 oil change :rofl

[​IMG]
    naruse, Clayarrow and DistortedAxis like this.
  13. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
  14. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Nothing. It's way too damn cold out there. In fact I've needed to change the oil on the Miata for over a month and haven't done it because the daytime temps haven't gotten much over freezing for well over a week now. :baldy :becca
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Added Barbacks:

[​IMG]
    Cleaned and painted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made a fatfoot from an old sign.

[​IMG]
    Installed Grip Puppies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fixed a badly scratched windscreen.

16. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The day before Christmas break began, I am a teacher, the clutch went out in my '99 Tacoma 4x4. So for the last 1.5 weeks I have: replace the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, slave cylinder, master cylinder. I had to remove the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, etc. Replaced fluids and lubed up everything. Tonight, after replacing the master cylinder: TADA! The clutch works again. Did it all myself, with a bit of help from the Nephew to put the tranny back in, and the lovely and talented assistant (my wife) bleeding the system over and over again! Plus, it isn't much of a garage...just a carport with shifting plywood to move heavy bits around. To tie this into motorcycle stuff, I used a motorcycle jack, from Harbor Freight, to move the tranny and transfer case about.

Sadly, Monday the drudgery begins anew with kids returning on Tuesday. BUT, the truck is a truck again!!!
    bowyer2002 likes this.
  17. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    And you call that a break? :lol3

Congratulations on successful completion of a large, nasty job!:clap

All I managed to do was minor cleanup (trying to move stuff away from the Monitor heater so I can start it without singeing all my valuable crap). It's sooo sloooooow.....
  18. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    The other day I added a second story to my home made kayak rack so I could get the second boat off the floor and have my 3 bikes side by side. Tired of moving one so I can get out another one. Left for Borrego yesterday, was putting together my first tool kit and couldn't find my new allen wrench set or 12 mm wrench. Grrrrr. Guess I'll have to work some more on the garage when I get back.

In my district we have a shorter summer, but 3 weeks for winter break. :clap
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Feels good to do it yourself.

I feel your pain though, I was a teacher for 5 years. Low pay, bad parents, kids that do not behave, and no respect from the general public.

Thank God (who you can't mention in school), that the rewards of the job outweigh the bad.:deal

20. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad behavior IS my job. I teach at the alternative school in my county. I am the HS science guy. Been doing so for 17 seasons. Horrible parents....had one get arrested along with his son this last semester. The bad behavior, often, is learned at home! I like it so far...but, there are days!

I enjoy wrenching on my vehicles. But, often I am doing things I have never done before...like this. Never worked on a hydraulic clutch before....very different stuff. And, it has been 20 years since I pulled a tranny. But, I have the tools, time, and determination. The sense of satisfaction of doing it "yourself" cannot be overstated...I wish more people today would do "hard" things, might solve some of their angst!