Aviation MegaThread!!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Audaciter

Audaciter Long timer

Oddometer:

It is the overtaking planes responsibility to shift. I suppose that equates to the slower plane having the right of way.
  2. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Was day dreaming in a meeting today, and thought 'holy shit, that pilot sure reacted quick!'

Your plane loses a wing. You've got to unbuckle, open the door, and get out of a tumbling plane that was flying perfectly well a few seconds ago. Then get away from the plane, open your emergency chute... Crazy he had an emergency chute. :lol3
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Since they were both skydiving airplanes and from the same airport, one would think they would have known that each was in the sky at the same time and for the same purpose, and would have been looking out for each other. :dunno
  4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Pics from Sunday, couldn't find anyone to fly with and didn't have anywhere special to go. Drove out to the airport and decided to fly down to KMTH, filed CYY direct MTH thinking I'd hug the coast. Fort Meyers gave me direct as soon as I got south of Venice and after I got out over the Gulf I remembered I wasn't flying a twin anymore. I hadn't even grabbed the life jacket from the baggage compartment. Beautiful trip back and forth, shot a couple approaches at MTH - good way to spend 2.9 hours on a Sunday morning!

Marathon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10,000 Islands
    [​IMG]
  5. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    they were actually dropping jumpers together, the jumpers were to execute some aerial maneuvers as a group. You can see the guy in the top plane is not looking at the other plane, he was looking around the cockpit. I cant tell you which plane changed course, but the top plane should have been paying attention as he was both above and in the wingman position.
  6. CapCal1000

CapCal1000 Uhhh....

Oddometer:
    Break out the book noob..

91.113(g)

The landing aircraft had right-of-way.

13 whole hours eh?
  7. Audaciter

Audaciter Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod

I'm sure he is confusing it with two planes that are attempting to land.
  8. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    $115,000, for this?
    "Cruise Speed: 56.3kph (35mph)"
    <DT>Pass...</DT><DT>Neat idea though.</DT>
  9. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    where's that 'rolls eyes' smilie....

:lol3
  10. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    going to cut and paste this instead of writing it out again

Heads up to my aviation interested friends. A few cheap cool things going on this weekend to get your fix.

Sat and sunday at Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum we will be having our veterans day open house weekend. There will be car shows, music, food, and of course airplanes. The hangars will be opened up and aircraft out to see them better than normal. Flight demonstrations are planned too. On sat morning we are having our flyin breakfast. $8 gets you chef cooked pancakes, eggs, etc in the hangar! So come early, get some food, relax and watch the planes! Admission is free to fl residents and we are asking you bring a dry good for donation to the local food pantry.

Sunday the collings foundation B17, B24, and P51b are due to return to New Smyrna Beach airport DQN at 130. They will have the hangar opened up so you can look at current projects. They are asking for a pet food donation from attendees to go toward the pet food bank.

Precious Metal Victory Party (tm) sat night, I wont be getting much sleep!

This is all on the central east coast of fl (titusville and new smyrna) if you are interested in any additional details drop me a line!
  11. EsconDeasy

EsconDeasy Ectomorph

Oddometer:
    Aviation is the only discipline where guys brag about how many rules they know
  12. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    You obviously have never participated in the 'Dragon fail' thread :)
  13. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pilot who doesn't know what the hell is going on, has right of way. :lol3

I heard that in a pre-race briefing last week.

S.C.
  14. magicmark1

magicmark1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures... whew. Must be nice to be able to just hop in the plane and chek that out..
  15. markk9

markk9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This bird brought me back home.
  16. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the story behind that? :ear
  17. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. a65l

a65l Safeguarding our Precious Bodily Fluids. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Obviously, somebody got careless with a lightsaber.
  19. markk9

markk9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It happened during the original operation Desert Storm. My wingman and I were sent to track down and intermittent radar contact by the AWACS. AWACS suspected a helicopter was flying low and slow trying to avoid detection. While my wingman covered me high at around 10K feet, I went down low for a visual confirm and intercept if possible. While down low searching I saw a tower and went right, missing the tower, but clipped a support steel cable. The tower was not marked on any of the charts we had access to. Made for an exciting ride to the closest runway with enough length to make a landing. Flight back was uneventful. Landing was a bit hair raising, the left main gear would not come down, made a 2 wheel landing and kept the left wing up as long as I could, skidded about 300 yards to a stop, popped the canopy open, jumped and ran as fast as I could towards the crash crew.
  20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

Amazing! Good story. The left engine kept running? I imagine some debris went through it.