Tour of idaho Challenge

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by WTW, Dec 29, 2012.

1. His Pistolship

His Pistolship Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the hard work, especially motorcyclejazz. I can't wait to do this.
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Really?

Not cool.
    Tessier likes this.
  3. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    In places, it will be exactly that! Many of the wayoints are hundreds of feet off any road or trail, and often far from important intersections. If you ride through every waypoint, you'll be riding through people's back yards, through fences, and into other no-go places! And you'll ride past turnoffs way more often than you'll like before you realize you should have turned.

The tracks that pckopp made from the waypoints may be helpful, but they have the same problems since they are based on the original misplaced waypoints.

To me it looks like you have to use the data to create ROUTES, not tracks, and probably have to stick with National Geographic TOPO, ver 4.0 and maybe the same GPS unit that motorcyclejazz uses, otherwise you're SOL.

Motorcyclejazz has done a great job creating data that few can use. And from this statement on the website; "We make the Tour more decipherable and user friendly - one insensitive smackdown at a time.", it seems they have failed at the first part and suceeded at the second.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott, I hope you are not including yourself. I have found you to be very a very sensitive guy like most Harley riders and never giving even a light smack to all my lame requests for help. Perhaps this challenge is like nuclear war, you only have to get close, not actually hit the target.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which rides are less documented? TAT, CDR, and GWT all seem to have extremely accurate tracks, maps, and/or roll charts available?

How do wilderness skills even relate to riding a motorcycle on a designated route? Assume it is not Wilderness which in ilegal.
  6. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are lots of great photos and descriptions on the website. It's clear that the ride includes difficult terrain and situations, which is cool! The issue I addressed is the GPS data. It's probably great if you have the same exact tools as it was created with. But very few have those tools, so to them that data is as good as a book written in chinese is to an English speaking reader. If they don't want to support the much more common GPS formats (which is obviously the case), that's fine. It will just deter a lot of people from taking the ride. That's not right or wrong, just an important point for many potential riders.

The second point I made is that some of the waypoints are WAY off the mark. I'm talking more than 500ft off! It's one thing to be 30-50ft off, but 500ft is pretty excessive. That can make the navigation pretty challenging, which is what I said.

So, from a photo and text description, it seems well documented. From a general GPS point of view, it's poorly documented.
  7. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The second point I made is that some of the waypoints are WAY off the mark. I'm talking more than 500ft off! It's one thing to be 30-50ft off, but 500ft is pretty excessive. That can make the navigation pretty challenging, which is what I said.

So, from a photo and text description, it seems well documented. From a general GPS point of view, it's poorly documented.[/QUOTE]

You must be doing something wrong then. You only need to convert the tpo files to gpx files, which has been done for you on GPXchange.

I found last years tracks to be very accurate even at 500 points per track. This years tracks are nearly the same. There is no where that you go through no go zones on this ride.
  8. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I think this is the best argument in favor of keeping the GPS data slightly criptic for most. I do the same screening thing, though in a different way.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very Good points to help reduce liability but not eliminate it. If you "promote" a ride, I think you have some liability and should have insurance if you any assets. This is why I get AMA sanction and insurance on all my organized rides. People ask if they can just buy my tracks and I never sell anything, that really increases liability. There is some risk for an invetational ride with no insurance.

If you just say here are Tracks for the CDR or the GWT which are promoted by others, liability is much less. If you just say these are tracks from a ride I did without any promotion, liability is much less. I guess I should think about this with my SMTS for various states.
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I said above, I would never do this without very good liability insurance coverage and tons of disclaimers that you must agree to before you can get to the data on line. Just like license agreements for software.
  11. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are thousands of tour guides published each year with maps and directions. I doubt they have bought any kind of liability insurance. Most of our tracks are on public roads, forest roads and the occasional private farm. I don't see where your liability is. If I tell you to ride up I-5 to Seattle and give you directions to my house and you have a wreck, I wouldn't be liable.

What do I not understand?
  12. motorcyclejazz

motorcyclejazz Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help here. I hope that you are coming back in 2013. A shout to Ralph, as well. Both of you get it.

Cheers

m
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am away for winter so I can't check any of my books but I would bet that every one of them have big disclaimer section. As to insurance, if you have any assets, and if you get so far as publishing books and you have not formed an LLC or purchased at least umbrella insurance, you are a fool.

It doesn't matter what you see, it is all up to the injured party. If they file a cival claim, you pay to defend yourself or pay the claim. In most cases it is cheaper to pay the claim. I was on the board of directers of AMA District 37, a road rider drove straight off the highway at a curve and filed a claim against Suzuki, Dunlap, and AMA. Our insurance just paid the guy. An enduro rider cut the course, crashed in a hole, our insurance paid. Without insurance we would have been out a lot of money paying or defending.
  14. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I am searching for a readily available Tour of Idaho 2 in gpx track format. I went to motorcyclejazz's site and downloaded the xml file, then converted it to gpx, then imported it to basecamp, then tried to create a route from the points; but it just wasn't the output I was looking for.

Does anyone have Tour of Idaho 2 in a cleaned up gpx track format?

Thanks.

P.S.: Thanks Motorcyclejazz for putting this all toghether. I have ridden some of these roads already, like the first 100 miles or so. Good choice on that route. I can't wait to do this.
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you look at threads below?
  16. His Pistolship

Oddometer:

I don't know what threads you are referencing by "threads below." I've found the gpx tracks listed within this thread, but they are just for T1, not T2.

It won't be that much trouble to build a track from the way points listed on T2 while in Basecamp. I just thought perhaps this work had already been done here on this site, so I asked. I'll get to work on it.
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. His Pistolship

Oddometer:
  19. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Here's what I got so far using Martins' .tpo files for the T1 route. Uploaded to everytrail.com, here's the link.

[​IMG]
    CLICK ON MAP PIC FOR LINK

Looks pretty good. Should work fine with some careful route and trip report study and some marked up USFS National Forest maps while enroute.

Feel free to download .gpx files (lwr rt corner of the everytrail page.)

Juan
    Nevada City, CA.
    KTM 350 EXC-F
    Worldclass Singletrack-Downieville, CA.
  20. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2014 version of the T1 is not finalized yet, there have been some changes since last year. If you check the site sometime in the new year he should have the track pretty well sorted.