JTH's HD 883 Dual Sport'ster conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JimmyTheHog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    JTH,
    Big thanks for that Braking link. That caliper is a 2 pot that fits on a 21" wheel ehh?

I only ask because the link does not clearly say what the specs are, but do say "supermoto" caliper which often means that they only fit on 17" wheels. If it fits on the 21" fine with no spoke interference that is cool news. Keep us poted, VERY interested.

I am glad you do not mind being the Guinea Pig...:clap
  2. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was a bit of a crap shoot on the fit since I couldn't get a solid answer on it, but it fits fine. I measure 0.27" clearance from the caliper body to the spokes - which is generous. Its still a floating type, so no pistons on the spoke side which make it thinner there.

I was looking at the PM 4-piston brakes before this one and theirs would not fit per the dimensions they gave me. I would think other 4-piston or even 2-piston opposing piston calipers would have a problem with the 21" wheels.

Im happy to be the guinea pig on this as im learning a lot. Im sure others will benefit from the info and also from some of the slightly used parts I'll be selling soon - like the YSS & WP shocks, my old KTM forks w/ 0.6 springs & Hlebo valving, Applied Racing triple clamps, V&H SS2R exhaust, etc.... I'll be posting them in the vendors section soon in case there is any interest.
  3. kellymac530

Oddometer:
    Thanks a ton JTH.

I know I personally do appreciate all of your testing and R&D work. I am not build an HD dual sport but rather a BMW RT to true duallie bike, but much of the ideas and fitment issues do apply.
  4. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Rendered Preview of the new components on the bike. The Aluminum gas tank fabrication has started...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe this should be a full kit bike with a HD donating it's vitals.
  6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    Given that adventure bikes are the largest growing segment, you would think HD should get out their checkbook. :norton
  7. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there, hi Simon,
    had the same ideas, but don't forget what they did to Eric before you offer our mate Jimmy or the bike he created to them ...
    Kind regards, Bambi
  8. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Im want to take HD into the dual sport market, backed or not (but a little backing would be nice). And dont worry, its patent pending :evil

Thought id take the SC3 to another country "virtually" - can you guess where this famous building is? Bambi may know....

[​IMG]
  9. kellymac530

Oddometer:
    It IS a dirt bike afterall....how bout a virtual shot of it somewhere cool..in the dirt?

Rim of the Grand Canyon, in front of the Great Shinx, somewhere NON concrete jungle..:D
  10. Dirigo

Dirigo Curious

Oddometer:
    Bada$$!
  11. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    JimmyTheHog, perhaps I should introduce you to Ed and David Hamburger :deal They are owner of SLP Engineering and they got GM to let them do WS6 and SS package for the Firebird and Camaro until GM decided to discontinue WS6 for the demise of the Firebird. Camaro survived..

Anyway, about the fuel tank.. so you decided to go with Aluminum? Are you planning to try and build it or just pay someone to do build it as per your design? I guess I will keep my option open and if it is in good price range, I can always take advantage of Paypal's 6 months no interest financing if they offer the promotion. :deal
  12. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    WAWC - Thanks. I'll check em out. For the tank, I had originally planned to have an aluminum tank made and have been on Evan Wilcox's wait list for more than a year. Finally my time came a week ago and now the tank i designed is being fabricated by Evan. He most certainly will do a nice job and improve on the design with his expertise. This aluminum tank will be offered in "very" limited production. Quantity per year is still TBD, but probably less than a handful and are slated for the bikes i plan to build.

For the production, I still plan to do the plastic XLPE version, but need to firm up the supplier. The goal/plan is that a known tank mfgr will produce it and I'll sell them thru CDS initially. Price for those should be very affordable. Sorry this is lagging, but im working on it. We were supposed to start in March, but it has been postponed for numerous reasons. Start date is still TBD.
  13. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    No apology needed at all. I'd be more interested in aluminum if it is reasonable and I would prefer to do the painting myself.. if that's OK! If so, do put me on the list and PM me when it's time. I haven't got to my fuel tank plan just yet so it is very possible I'll just get one from you if you will make an expectation. If not, it's ok! I've not ride on a bike since before Christmas and I am really READY to ride again soon so I wanna get moving! LOL!
  14. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Well, it is a dual sport, so it has to do a little asphalt first to get to the dirt :evil

How about a road in the desert early dawn ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Not enough in the dirt. Lets get out on the dry lake bed....

[​IMG]
  16. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    ... or a country gravel road ...

[​IMG]
  17. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not a fan of HD,but I could see me riding an 883 dual sport.Harley is loosing a large chunk of the market by not offering smaller scrambler and dual sport motorcycles.My opinion tho.I could see this becoming and offering from HD.
  18. JimmyTheHog

Oddometer:
    Ok, enough grahpics! Next pictures will be real - new front end installation with new hub and Braking caliper, aluminum tank, crash bars, and if i can get Ohlin's moving on my rear shocks, then them too. Way too much to do before May 4th ... :nod
  19. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:
    No I can't see it. H-D always seem to get their fingers burnt when they leave their core business, big cruisers, and try something new. Witness their Italian love affairs, Buell, and even our beloved XR1200 Sporties. :cry
  20. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Jimmy said 'can you guess where this famous building is? Bambi may know....'
    It reminds me a bit of the new ICE railway central station in Berlin. When I passed it in a train it was still under construction. Some details of the pic very much remind me of it. On the other hand: All our big and new railway stations are looking that way. Frankfurt-upon-Main might be, too ...
    Kind regards, Bambi ... curious ...