How much do you pay for tire mount and balance thread.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ben2go, Jan 8, 2012.

1. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup.
  2. nanotech9

nanotech9 ** Slidewayz **

Oddometer:
    I get paid $35 / hr... but thats only M-F 8-5... so any time other than that, I get paid $0.00....

three tire irons at $10 each... a piece of 3/16 wall DOM tubing with a standoff welded on it as a bead breaker... tires from the LOCAL SHOP (MotoZ's) cheap, or off the internet for other tires (much cheaper as i only buy when they're on sale)...

Takes less time to do them myself than to drive to the shop, get raped anywhere from $35 (cyclegear) to $90 (Maxey's cycle) per tire and either wait two hours, or come back the next day...

Not to mention, I've got a buddy with a $3k tire machine and balancer... but I've only asked him to do it once...

I do all my tube or tubeless myself... street bike, supermoto, dirt bike, 12GS, etc. I've got tire lube (the real stuff), good air chucks, etc.

oh, and tube or tubeless, I balance by cutting open the end of a 1 1/8" oz #7 12ga shotgun shell and pouring the BB's inside the tire, or inside the tube. Balances fine, no need to re-balance.
  3. Minnesota

Minnesota Conform or be cast out

Oddometer:
    Nobody around me can capably change and balance a BMW (rear) wheel, so I do it myself. Last time was a couple years ago and I don't remember it taking any more than an hour or so. I've got a new set of tires coming from SW Moto on Monday, so I can time myself. IIRC it was just a little bit more complicated than changing a bicycle tire because I didn't want to scratch my anodized rims.
  4. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:

I use Talcum Powder when I am replacing tubes. It makes the tube slippery so it's harder to pinch,
  5. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    Thats odd that a motorcycle shop around you doesnt have a set of cones for a single sided wheel . You can buy a set from No-Mar along with a balancer . Also , Harbor Freight has a good balancer thats cheap and works great .
  6. Minnesota

Oddometer:

There is a shop in Eau Claire that sells Triumph bikes, some of which have single-sided wheels. I remember taking my BMW rear wheel there to get balanced and I wasn't impressed with the job they did or what I paid.

The next best option is the Twin Cities, which is about 90 minutes away.

There is a Harbor Freight here in Eau Claire, and they have that balancer on sale for $39.99.
  7. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thanks to this thread, I'm revising my answer to $0
    OK, so $50 for the tire irons, $75 for the balancer (FM Mark Parnes), $30 for the harbor freight bead breaker (works perfectly) $7 for the rim protectors and $15 for a lifetime supply of tire lube. I think I'll be leaving the tub to someone in my will!

Did my first tire a few weeks ago. Now I just need to figure out how to better protect the finish on the wheels. :D
    The rim protectors I bought didn't do squat... in fact, they didnt even want to stay in place.

Did one tire so far, have at least 5 tires to do this year... by the end of summer I'll be making money off the purchase.
  8. Minnesota

Oddometer:
    The last time I changed my tires I used an empty oil jug. I cut the plastic into strips and put that between my spoon and the rim. They were a little slippery, what with the oil residue and everything, but they worked better than nothing. The normal rim protectors don't fit on my BMW tubeless spoked rim.
  9. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    Like I said , the HB balancer works great . A set of spoons and rim protectors will work . Just need cones like No-Mar has and weights . Anyone can do this at home with relative ease .
  10. Daryl_Stamp

Daryl_Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hermy's in Port Clinton PA; met them during a trip a few years ago.
    - don't recall exact price, but do remember that it was about same as Internet cost for the tire, m&b was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than what I had paid at another dealer in Roch NY area.
    - worth noting;
    I wasn't familiar with Hermy's shop until the friendly guys @ BOB's BMW in Jessup MD told me they might be a closer alternative to their own. Highly appreciate that & like spending some of Internet $ there because of it.
    Service manager @ Hermy's told me as long as I made it in before 5 they would take care of me. That was on a gorgeous Friday afternoon. I was in & out in less than 45 minutes. Great experience.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:

I'll try the jugs. Thanks!
  12. SikDMAX

SikDMAX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to add my shop into the mix, SikMoto in San Luis Obispo, CA - serving the entire San Luis Obispo County / Central Coast area.

Located at 3576 Empleo, San Luis Obispo CA 93401 just off the 101 in San Luis.

New and used tires in stock along with a ton of other moto related stuff - work on street bikes, ADV stuff, scooters, dirt bikes, quads, whatever!

Just $20 wheel off the bike or $40 wheel on the bike, most of the time while you wait! Ill mount tires a customer carries in or buys from me. Includes wheel cleaning, tire disposal and computerized balancing.

24 hour towing or emergency tire service also available.

www.Facebook.com/SikMoto
  13. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.mototireguy.com in San Francisco (south end of the city).
    He charges $22 each for a mount & balance.
    Plus $20 if it's on the bike.
    Plus $2 for legal disposal.

You can have tires shipped directly to him from several reputable tire stores.

He lives in a residential neighborhood, and schedules 1 appointment per hour.
    He won't work on loud bikes, because he likes his neighbors. :clap

He's done several tires for me, and more for friends. Good guy, super quick service (15 minutes per tire), and appointments only, so there's no waiting.
  14. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:
    I change and balance my own so its free ..... and yes I have invested some money in tire equipment but after decades of doing it myself I am pretty sure I have more than paid off that gear :D Do I pay myself to do no but its relaxing and I actually enjoy working on my bikes....
  15. driftindan

driftindan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $25 + $5 tire disposal fee. I took the wheel in off the bike and also talked him out of the $10 penalty fee for bringing in my own tire. $10 tacked on because I got my tire from somewhere else? I took a stand on that one and was prepared to go somewhere else but the owner is a nice guy and agreed.

The Zen House
    Point Arena, CA :thumb
  16. Just an update.... I called 5 Valley in Missoula, MT ( I live in Missoula)....they are $25 per tire (carried in) including balancing. $15. if no balancing

Big Sky Kawi in Missoula charges $25 per tire (I didn't ask, but assumed w/balancing)....$53 per tire if you bring the whole bike in....

There is a guy who has his own shop at his house...does off the bike for $25 a piece including dynamic and static balancing. iverson@iversonscandinavian.com. I spoke with him, and he seems like a straight up guy who knows his stuff. He does NOT offer a discount if you don't want balancing.

I have decided that for $15 per tire ( I am not having them balanced because I have ordered and will use the DYNABEADS....we shall see...) it is not worth me playing with my tire spoons.... $30 bucks and no struggles sound good to me, I will save my spoons and tubes for when I need an emergency road repair. But for a planned tire change. $30 buks is worth my saving my fine musician hands on other labor..... ;) :deal
  17. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not use this shop... their prices encouraged me to learn to change my own tires. Did my first set successfully a few weeks ago :D. But since we're listing prices and local shops, here we go:

Greater Boston Motorsports
    Arlington, MA

Buy tires from them:
    Wheels on bike: $40/tire mount and balance
    Carry your wheels in: $20/tire mount and balance

Buy tires online and carry in - OR - buy tires from them with internet price match:
    Wheels on bike: $80/tire mount and balance
    Carry your wheels in: $40/tire mount and balance
  18. EsconDeasy

EsconDeasy Ectomorph

Oddometer:
    OK, read the thread title.

Does it say "The thread for propping up your ego by bragging about how you change your own tires while girly men have to pay someone else to do it"?

No?

If you don't pay for your tire changes, move along
  19. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    You sound very sensitive about this issue. Tell us about your feelings...
  20. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude. I contributed with some real life pricing, didn't I? Yeesh. That's how much I'd pay... I figured other inmates would appreciate the local intel.