I Like Station Wagons, I cannot Lie!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by vegasphotog, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience with VW Jetta wagons. I'm thinking of a new one with the TDI. Currently I have an Imprezza which they call a "wagon" but I'm looking for something with more room in the back for my dog & gear. I really want a Passat wagon but can't get one. :ear
  2. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    Saw one of these today on the autobahn-
    [​IMG]

Do want!
    davyjones likes this.
  3. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Yes. We've got an 03 TDI wagon with 5 spd. Good car and minimal maintenance (10k oil change, 100k timing belt). Not great for 10 hour rides, but great for everything else. I'd like to find a TDI Passat wagon, but rare as they come. :cry
    davyjones likes this.
  4. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    That is awesome!!!!!'
  5. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    FWI was told, NO diesel in the 3 Series.

...but ya gotta remember, this was a sales guy talking, not BMWNA.

He had ONE 335d on the lot. Manual? No, can't get a manual with the diesel. :baldy

M
    davyjones likes this.
  6. Dave

Dave Huh? Supporter

Oddometer:
    We just bought a '12 TDI wagon this past Friday. We left the dealership and gave it it's break in drive on the way to the in laws over the weekend in upstate NY.

Awesome car. Highway mileage was rated at 42, but we averaged 46, and the engine still only has 600 miles on it. It's my wife's car, but I'm pretty smitten with it myself. :D
    davyjones likes this.
  7. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Gotta agree. I have the "mini wagon" aka a Golf TDI 6-speed manual. Best i've gotten is 47MPG or so on a trip, probably could get better if i'd go the speed limit... Even gets around 37mpg when towing a Polaris ATV on a trailer. Isn't the fastest thing around, but has no problem cruising at 90-100mph on the highway. Makes for a great daily driver.

[​IMG]

After the towing trip
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  8. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know this will start a Yorkshireman's one up thread but...

Our best mileage with our 03 TDI wagon occurred on the return trip from KC to Minneapolis. 75 mph, AC on all the way. 7 hours, 52 mpg that tank. Never got close to that again. Must have been one whale of a tail wind.

ymWv.
  9. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    I feel like we've played this game before... 2006 Jetta TDI... just doing a scientific study of what 3,000PRMs gets you... (do not attempt: driver was on closed course :evil)

That average is the trailing average, not the second-by-second average which the display will also provide on a different screen..

Also note that I reset the trip odo after each refill...

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  10. Twin Torque

Twin Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trust me you don't want the manual with the diesel, sit back and enjoy the ride .....
  11. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Always want the manual. :nod I don't sit in traffic, so gimme a clutch and the ability to row my own.

Its getting so rare here in the US to even find a manual. They *say* they make em, but... :nah

M
  12. Twin Torque

Oddometer:
    Nope not for that engine, the manual is not what suits it, steptronic auto every time
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    If I end up with one, I'll HAVE to have the auto.

:bluduh

M
  14. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to Carscoop Porsche is going to reveal a prototype Panamera "Shooting Brake" sometime this fall. I've seen sketches somewhere and I must admit the Panamera wagon looks pretty cool - I've always liked wagons and the Panamera so combining the two seems like a win to me.
  15. Twin Torque

Oddometer:
    I understand where you're coming from but honestly for that engine the steptronic just aces it, you certainly wont be disappointed
  16. Flirtin w/Disaster

Flirtin w/Disaster Skinny ass white boy

Oddometer:
    150k with long repair bill but can't give up yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    I disagree, as do many others. I have a manual with the 2.0 CRD TDI in Jetta Sportwagen (Golf Variant) form, and I think it suits it exceedingly well. It's quite satisfying taking a long on-ramp in 4th and feeling the meat of the torque curve before upshifting.

The general consensus on tdiclub.com is that the manual transmission Golf and JSW TDI's get up 10% better economy on average, with the same difference (slightly less, perhaps) in the 2012+ Passat TDI (North America/China only).

Plus it's a hell of a lot more fun than an automatic, or even a DSG (which the Steptronic isn't). I commute with my TDI in some of the nastier traffic in North America. While I enjoy manuals, I'm not a "manual or die" purist like some others; I generally wouldn't drive a manual in LA rush hour traffic - the TDI is the only exception to that rule, precisely because the engine's torque curve is so well suited to a manual.
    davyjones likes this.
  18. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    We had great luck with our 2000 Taurus wagon......couldn't really complain about the reliability at all. Hated the brakes and the transmission, but otherwise it was a fine car.
  19. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    BMW calls it an SAV, to me its a tall wagon.
    [​IMG]
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    They aren't reliable at all, the interiors seem to fall apart after 8 years, but damn do they drive right and have a ton of space:

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.