Radek solo 2012 Baja 1000 on 990R

Discussion in 'Racing' started by rburkat, Aug 7, 2012.

1. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    Looked for you over at kikis.

If your near sf hwy 5 km31 stop by the house.

-John
  2. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Absolutely correct Robert,
    I don't think our paths will cross now, I was hoping spend a little time with Radek in Lapaz to hear about the journey, I'm still bummed about it.
  3. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    Hope everything is going better for you. On the way back home stop by and we will take the motorcycle out for a scenic ride .
  4. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I drove all day yesterday from san ignacio to ensenada. I stayed the night at Bahia hotel which is right at the start line. Sigh.
    I really hoped maybe the ankle would get better and maybe I could still do it. This morning it's much worse. I thought about staying but I can't get around on this foot so I would just get in the way when helping someone.

[​IMG]

So I decided to take the shameful drive back to the border. Passing all those rigs with bikes going the opposite way of me really hit things home.
    I dropped off my sat phones at all road sat and ran into Dave (271x) who broke down in the same silt area I busted up my foot. He proceeded to tell me that SCORE just removed that section of the course yesterday. One day too late for me. That's how it goes sometimes. It's not the silts fault, it's the riders.

Dave had the mcmillans bail him out, truck his bike back, and fly him on their plane back to san diego. Nice. I actually talked to them yesterday at a gas station as they had the 271x bike strapped to their trailer with the buggy.
    Funny enough they told me that the section west from constitution is really bad also. "it's 120 miles of whoops down there. worst we have ever seen down there" I don't know myself as I never made it that far. Funny enough again, I was following their convoy and some local coming the other way ran his car into the side of their trailer. He bounced off the trailer and almost took us out as he crossed the lane. One of the wheels of the trailer was toast and his car lost a front end. Driving in Mexico is fun.

Once again, good luck to all the riders. I'll be cheering for you all.
  5. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Damn! Never seen a foot that swollen, reminds me of this-

[​IMG]
  6. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    Radek,
    Sorry to hear about your mishap.
    Heal up and come do the Mex1 with me next year.
    Way less stress and I'm not gonna prerun, so no chance of a accident prior to the event.
    Keep up the good additude, or drink more beer.
    This makes my Radek does Baja Tshirt that more rare, yea!
  7. AirborneAndy

AirborneAndy Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that you are out Redek. Awesome attempt! Hope you heal up fast.
  8. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    :cry

I know how much energy you had invested, not to mention dinero... really sorry it ended like that.

Deadly99 has his finger on the pulse, I would say...
  9. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    That really sucks about the crash! I came late to the party, but I was rooting for you on a bike so similar to one I have! Hopefully you heal quick and can give it another shot in the future!
  10. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got back from hospital today.... Lateral Malleolus Fracture. The bone holding the ligaments on the outside got broken off slightly, and possibly one of the ligaments snapped. I don't think this is that major but the call to withdraw from the race was good. Better to come back and fight another day and be without a limp.
    Have to get MRI this week.

Sigh....2 more days to race start.
  11. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly. It's a bummer to withdraw, but you got to look at the big picture. You'll have the opportunity (and the support of ADV) next year!
  12. Ciampa

Ciampa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear Radek! I've been following your progress and looking forward to your solo attempt. My knee and neck is still messed up from being hit by a buggy in the silt back in 2010. I recommend Mexican Vicoden with a beer and tequila chaser.* What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Maybe I'll see you at the starting line next year.

-Ciampa

* I'm not a licensed physician, I can't diagnose or prescribe for you; and any application of the information on this site constitutes the explicit waiver of any liability on my part.
    <br>
  13. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to go get another beer, heal fast Radek.

[​IMG]
  14. norschweger

norschweger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear about that, Radek!
    I met you in Lillooet early this summer (with Vasile...) on a KLR. Now I am also riding a KTM 950 towards Ushuaia.
    Just got the link to your awesome video and saw the development of your attempt this year.
    Good decision to withdraw and heal up properly! You will be even stronger and wiser next year and maybe I will be there to cheer for you!:1drink
    Good luck and get better soon!
    Toby
  15. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Radek how the healing going? give us an update