Regarding travel via Maxi Scooters, i.e. Burgmans

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by brodon, Jan 24, 2013.

1. brodon

brodon brodon

Oddometer:
    While there's a bit of everything on Moto Travel sites like this, the bulk of riders appear to be both long distance with off road machines. When mentioning travel by scooter, you can almost "see" a raised eyebrow or two, even if it's politely not mentioned.

To read about and see the photos of those world and continental travelers is a wintertime joy for me.The quality of their writing and photography is something I spend probably too much time viewing during the confines of winter. But it gets me through as I impatiently wait for Spring, usually around April here in the mid-West (S. Illinois).

As much as I enjoy reading of these adventures by others, my love of riding are the two lane and country roads with wide open views. Roads that time has forgotten, many being deserted due to the Interstate system. Villages off the beaten path that could be a movie location for someone want a late 19th century setting.

Having owned about every make big bore cruiser made, except HD, along with RT and LT Beemers, Goldwings, etc., at age (71) and the condition of my old knees, told me it was time to get into something lighter to hold up. I actually decided to give up riding last summer and sold my 1900cc Raider, and told myself that it was time to pursue other interests, and than decided that this was a big mistake. Since your reading this as a biker yourselves . . . I don't have to explain my remorse at such a foolish decision. But like I said, it was time to lighten up the load on the body.

I actually had a Suzuki 650 Burgman about four years ago and loved riding it. Somehow the lure of the big cruisers brought me back and I sold the Burgy on eBay. So . . . . shopped Craigslist in December and found some better than super bargains and picked up an '07 Burgman 650 Executive with 6800 miles in mint condition. Drove about 250 miles each way and trailered it back. (If your even remotely thinking of buying a bike, get it done in January during the frigid weather.)

It would be foolish to suggest it is a total replacement for a motorcycle, but a quality maxi scooter is a very viable option for the riding I described above. The 650 twin cylinder power plant with a CVT transmission is, well, you would have to ride it to believe it. Smooth as silk, fast off the line with a top speed in the mid to high 90's. The fairing and adjustable powered windscreen gives excellent wind protection. Lot of storage pockets in the "dash" and under the saddle, with optional top case and side bags. A nice drivers backrest is available for under $100. Accessory outlets and digital gauges. Actually. . . . these rascals are about $11,000 new.

Dare I suggest a mini Goldwing? Yes i think I will since others besides myself who have owned Wings have described it thusly. OK, a bit of a stretch, but not by much. Like I said, you have to ride one for yourself to appreciate and understand the "downsizing" to a scooter.

So. . . . the first trip of the year with be in late March or early April to the Big Bend Natl Park in TX, one of the most unknown and beautiful areas in America. At 1300 miles, I'll trailer the Burgman and ride for about 5 days around Brewster county, including Terlingua,etc. There's not a two wheeled vehicle comfortable enough to keep my back from <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> disintegrating at this distance, so riding this far is unthinkable.

If your riding SW Texas in early April and see an old guy on a red scooter with a black and white British racing helmet, give a wave. . . . as it will be I.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->
  2. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
  3. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
  4. scootermann

scootermann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think inmates wave&#8212;as such, especially if you have an ADV sticker on your scoot. Sounds like a great trip.
  5. Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Brodon, you are following my steps. Luckily my old body held up a little longer than yours. 81. Yup, lousy knees, lousy balance. I was dedicated to BMW bikes, last one a R1200GS. For some years now I knew that when I have to, the next step is a maxi-scooter. As a farewell this past September still rode the GS, three weeks, coast to coast, 8.000 miles. Wonderful trip, but every time I had to stop, I was worried. Sold with 180K miles. I wanted to go lighter than a Burgman 650. That way I know I can keep going for a few years. Picked up a almost new Yamaha Majesty. I plan to seriously tour with it. Like Maryland-Georgia, Maryland-Maine. Keeping riding is all that matters.
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear someone else likes cruisers. They are not real popular on this forum. I have also owned a lot of them. I currently also own a Goldwing. I have some medical issues that have me thinking of selling the Goldwing (1995 1500) It's fine out on the road, but I'm afraid I'm going to drop it in a parking lot someday. My intention was to replace it with a maxi scooter. I test rode all the Japanese models, and decided the Silverwing was the best fit. It has cutouts in the floorboards that allow you to put your feet straight down beside the scooter instead of dangling over the edges of the floorboards. For me the worst one was the Burgman 650, it felt just as heavy and awkward as the Goldwing in parking lots, and it was even harder to get my feet on the ground. I have a 750 cruiser I ride a lot now, and can still handle it fine, but I still want to get a Silverwing at some point. Right now I just can't justify spending the money. I looked at a couple of high mileage used ones, but since I would want to use it for long trips, I had doubts about their reliability. Enjoy your Burgman and ride safe.
  7. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Burgman. My wife has one, too and we ride pairs, usually touring for ten days and covering 4000km (2500 miles). We have a pair of nice cruisers, 1100 V-Star Silverado and 900 Vulcan Classic, Stage Three and chromed out. They are fun for weekends and on day trips, but for long-distance travel the Burgmans are just too comfortable and practical to take the cruisers. I have heard many call them a mini-Goldwing. I'm okay with that, although a Goldwing excels at two-up where the passenger on a Burgman is hanging on for dear life.

That said, they are awesome on the highway. The most fitting word I can find for the experience is "effortless". They just go, carry a (half) ton of stuff and get noticed wherever we go. 25000 km (15000 mi) in three seasons, all over the Pacific Northwest and Western Canada, starting out as new riders. We are somewhat more experienced now. We still prefer the Burgmans.

Have fun on your travels. The Burgman will make it to Calgary, if you're so inclined. Feel free to drop by. We'll go for a ride.

Ride safe
    Scott Fraser
    Calgary Alberta
  9. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I have owned 2 Burgman 650's and toured on both. They are FANTASTIC touring bikes and are a hoot in the twisties as well. You'll find that a lot of Burgman riders have stepped down from 'wings.
  10. BudLight

BudLight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just crossed over to the maxi scooter world. I picked up a used 2012 Burgman. I have only put about 200 miles on it so far but I am impressed! What a nice ride. I can't wait til spring when I can get it out on some longer mountain trips. It joins my VStrom DL 1000 and Voyager.
    -Bud
  11. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    This past fall I made the move from a motorcycle to a 2012 Burgman , I'm getting close to 3ooo miles on it already and like it even more every time i ride it.
    Been riding about 50 years and have owned about everything out there , the Burgman does it all as well or better than most of the others.
    If the CVT holds up I think I may have found a keeper.

Seriously making plans for some long trips this year on it.
    Doug
  12. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you're liking it. I remember that you weren't quite sure before you bought it. Now you know why people who have Burgmans like them as much as we do. They are practical, comfortable and capable of most everything one could want from a motorcycle. They are awesome to tour on.

Ride safe
    Scott Fraser
    Calgary
  13. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, my fingers are crossed and hoping for the best.
    SWMBO says she wants this to be my last bike and she might be right.
  14. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe what she means is that the next bike you buy should be a Burgman for her. You can never tell with SWMBO. They speak in riddles sometimes.

[​IMG]

Touring is fun. This is taken at Emile Grandjean, the Bitterroot Mountains in Central Idaho. We ride out on ten-day tours, headed 2500 miles (4000 km), riding pairs. We do that a couple of times each season. We have cruisers, nice ones, but we always take the Burgmans.

Are two or more called Burgmen?

Enjoy
    Scott Fraser
    Calgary
  15. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my Gold Wing, but I'll be 71 next month, and see switching to a Maxi Scooter in the near future, probably a year or so. I started my love affair of two wheels on a new 1958 Allstate Crusaire, so the switch will be easy.

At present, the Maxi Scooter will probably be a Burgman Executive. My main concern is my pillion buddy, Pugsley. He loves the wings large seat, harness and double strapped to the armrests. Not sure if I can find a Burgman seat large enough, so will probably have to have it custom made. We've logged over 40,000 miles on bikes since he aquired me five years ago. Man, I cannot believe how much joy he has added to my life, but particularly motorcycle touring. In fact, I let him pick out my Gold Wing.:rofl
  16. larrylarry75

larrylarry75 Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer:
    Gawd we're getting to be a bunch of old geezers! I'm 72 and still managing to ride 100 or so miles daily plus squeeze in trips to MX, AK, and NS. I can see where things begin to close in though at different times for us. I still like my little Ninja 650R best for touring but I've got a nice sidecar sleeping in the garage just waiting. Hacks aren't for everyone and they don't work the same way as bikes or scooters so there's a learning curve that needs to be addressed. I personally think it's worth it though and once you're comfortable with how they work they'll take you anywhere. Scooters and bikes alike will eventually be too great a challenge for us so it's nice to be looking for alternate solutions. Never stop riding...

LL75 :clap
  17. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as yer knees are in the breeze, it matters not whether your wheels are two or three in number...

:D
  19. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW, you may want to check with the Texas Road Rats out of San Antonio, TX if you want some company for part of your ride. They are mostly Burgie owners but all love their runs around Texas.
  20. GJMark

GJMark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 26,000 miles on my '05 Majesty including several trips to and through Wyoming and one 2,500 mile trip to California to ride the Pacific Coast Highway. It is fun to pull Vail Pass in Colorado (12,000 ft.) at 65 mph. Doc sliders in the variator helped power through higher engine revs and I get 55-60 mpg on the interstate. If my wife didn't love traveling on our Royal Star Venture so much, the Majesty would be my traveling machine. In my opinion, the Majesty would be a good choice. Enjoy your ride!