The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Yeap, that definitely rulez...
    :clap
  2. Rauven

Rauven I like the cold...

Oddometer:
    A traditional morning news update. A video, in french, but auto subtitles work decent and it's nice to watch. Maybe any of french speaking people here can give us a TL;DR; version in english ?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A_v88eKlfmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. Baluchon

Baluchon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, what about these videos in English about new R1200 GS then ?..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pd1N9dyLp4&list=PLIOp73cJSsex5w0dm7wxsBt6FDTlF902b

:)

Cheese

Ze Frog

4. NLS

Oddometer:
    Anyway, old news. This is from before Laos, we know you have finished Laos and have finished New Zealand, we are now waiting for tour #3, South Africa.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/fascination/ride-of-your-life/tours/newsNZ.html
    (One World One GS page)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUGHNgq4Wg8jP61T_WHUIAlw
    (BMW Motorrad Youtube page and playlist that includes all One World videos)

(not giving out this for you... but for people that may have missed it)

You make sure to give us HD versions of everything you have. :D
  5. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video, even though I didn't understand a word he was on about:rofl
  6. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Street tyres on gravel, back end wiggles on a couple of bends . . .
    The bike/rider combination handled the 'small' slides well. I wonder how much of that was down to rider skill and how much down to ASC?
  7. NLS

Oddometer:
    When you don't trust a system in a specific situation, shut it down. Else you learn to understand its feedback.
    When I first got my 2007 GS with ASC, I used to switch it to "off-road" mode in tarmac, because I wanted it less sensitive.
    6 years later I don't bother, but also don't activate it (my hand has learned to stay below ASC threshold).
  8. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me being a 'conservative' rider in the wet, never knowing what the grip limit is, I am using the ASC to see if I am anywhere near the limit, improving my confidence in the wet in a safe predictable manner. What I have been doing on exiting corners in the wet and still banked over is applying more power to see if the ASC kicks in. If it does, then that's the grip limit reached on that particular bit of road.

My logic behind this is as follows - if I corner tentatively with virtually no power applied, I may never reach the point where I lose grip. If I do and there is little or no power applied then the ASC has nothing to work on so it would keep on sliding. Conversely, if when I am banked over and stable, I apply more throttle and a slide starts the ASC will then back off that power and restore stability.

Watch this space :eek1
  9. NLS

Oddometer:
    Note that our first gen ASC does not handle cornering well (BMW has actually pointed this out).
    New ASC as "copyied" from S1000RR, "should" be able to handle cornering. Note though that (in contrast to this year's MS12) for new GS, BMW doesn't talk about an angle (lean, gyroscopic) sensor. It may have one or may not.

Maybe Baluchon or Shaun could ask next time they are with BMW people?
  10. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info as I was not aware of that limitation on first generation ASC so my gradual approach to limit testing may have been a wise choice? However, thinking back to days before all this electronic control, the natural reaction to a slide would be to back off the throttle so you might wonder why the earlier ASC didn't work too well. Maybe I need someone with more balls to try it out first on the new GS. Any volunteers out there? :evil
  11. NLS

Oddometer:
    Gradual approach is ALWAYS the best choice.
    You may have read I am a fan of electronics gizmo but also support that a rider should know how to ride like if the electronics where not there.

The natural reaction to a slide is not the best reaction. Usually, a slide resulted in too much closing of the throttle, changing the will-be low-side to a sudden high-side. We need to learn how to react properly electronics or no electronics.

Another example were the servo assisted brakes that GS once had. I hated them (and I am lucky to have the first generation of non-servo assisted brakes). Yet, that they "didn't work when the system failed" is an utter lie. They just needed considerable extra force (verified this myself in a test ride) when they failed. People considered as "didn't work" because of the major change in feeling, where they should just start giving more power to pushing them. This is something they should know and train themselves to handle just in case.

As for someone with balls to try things on new GS... first you need to find people that CAN ride the new GS. :) Not many yet.
  12. NLS

Oddometer:
    Is this posted before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TizCvVOEWno
    (shouldn't, it came online today)

It is from Austrian Motorrad Magazine.
    The guy seems to like wheelies a bit too much.

Nice sound.
    Envy. Myyyy preeeeciouuuus. :D
  13. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Posting slowed down, I guess people are waiting anxiously for delivery?
  14. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One World, One GS, Many Languages.
  15. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing more to whine about I guess.
  16. NLS

Oddometer:
    The lucky ones yes. The unlucky ones (like myself) just wait for newer real news.

BTW it is a bit weird we don't have more mag reviews online already.
    (still waiting for MCN scan... someone? I can't find it in Greece)
  17. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll do you a Ride Magazine scan after I have had my tea :clap
  18. Rauven

Rauven I like the cold...

Oddometer:
    Nice find, +1 point for you :)
  19. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being a trackday instructor, and endurance racer for the past 8 years I'll surely give my LC a go at our first trackday event in Belgium (circuit de Mettet) at the end of April. Will be able to tell the 'little differences' :D between the s1000r and the LC :rofl
  20. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer: