The Toolkit Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hilslamer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I don't carry tools that big. I'd imagine the intention of his post was similar.
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

+1

Remember that scene in the movie Apollo 13 where the scientists on the ground threw a bunch of stuff on a table and said this is the stuff they have up there they might be able to use to fix The Problem?

Sometimes you have all you need right there to fix the problem. You just need to be creative.
    Indy-WReckeR likes this.
  3. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I've busted the side out of a good quality 3/8 8mm socket doing just that. Unless the 8mm hex cap screws you plan to use it on are torqued very lightly it might be a bit much pain for a 1/4 drive.

The 8mm hex M10 capscrews on my bike all need more torque than I'd put through a 1/4 drive. I just use a shortish allen key with my lil vice grips on the end for extra leverage.

Cheers
    Clint
  4. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Box-ends wrenches work alright in a pinch, but this setup is nicer to handle. Puts a side-load on the 8mm socket that it wasn't designed to take, and dunno it that might be a problem. Guess we'll see. The 8mm box-end wrench I carry is puny, otherwise I'd use that instead of a 1/4" driver. Agree with you that it's more force than I'd like to put through a little tool like that, but have been using this Husky driver for years now and it hasn't let me down yet. If it lets go, it'll probably be while I'm working in the shop because these aren't the type of repairs (pulling the head) I'm likely to be making on the trail anyway.
  5. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Tip: If you use/carry an EnduroStar Trail stand, the larger shaft works as a great cheater for mid-size allen keys as well as the 1/4 sliding T-bar that I use as my primary wrench.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
  8. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    CBs tools were terrible in my experience. I had a the torx bit strip on the first usage on their pricy multi-tool. The same multi-tool would also unbolt itself into pieces in my Camelbak. I'd take Home Depot stuff into the backcountry before Crank Bros.

I'm not sure if they've changed, but they seem to have always put design before functionality.
  9. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

And they are made for bicycles....................
  10. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Wow. That's surprising. Grew up working in bike shops and would have said Crank Bros has always made pretty nice stuff? Carry one of their pumps and it's been great. No experience with their multi tools though. Like the idea of a bit-keeper though. It's not much more than that. So the application (bicycles) is not important.
  11. oceanguppy

oceanguppy go with the flow

Oddometer:
    Good find
  12. fhfr436

fhfr436 Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer:
    I agree. I've used many of their different products, including their multi-tools and have been pleased.

Can't we all just get along? I ride 2-wheels with and without motors and it saddens me to think that my fellow motorcyclists would disrespect me when I'm riding my bicycle on the road.
  13. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of these items may have been discussed on here... I'm not sure... If so I apologize. I'm thinking of adding one of these to my collection...trailside use.

Anyone had experience with any of them? Suggestions for which is better? Better options out there?

Stockton T Handle Folding Set
    http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...OL COMPANY/T-Handle-Folding-Set/p/36251_00000

Motion Pro Folding T Handle Trail Set
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11/55/702/4913/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Folding-T-Handle-Trail-Set.aspx

Fly Racing Service T Handle
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11/55/702/4667/ITEM/Fly-Racing-Service-T-Handle-Tool.aspx

The first 2 are are more compact because they fold in half but I suspect this could be a point of weakness. The last one is obviously not as compact but may be more sturdy.

Thoughts???? Thanks!
  14. beechum1

Oddometer:

are you suggesting use them in place of ratchet? Or perhaps just where more convenient than a ratchet....
  15. absoluteclint

Oddometer:
    Yes.. In place of a ratchet. Thought with one of these t-bars i could carry all necessary sockets and have the ability to reach tight places without an extender. Allen heads should fit too.. using the appropriate size socket to hold them. I'll probably still carry an 8" adjustable wrench. Bad idea?? Or a better solution?? Thanks!
  16. beechum1

Oddometer:
    No, whatever you need. All bikes are different. I need a ratchet to do any field fixes. I was just asking for ideas.....
  17. Peirre O`Bollox

Peirre O`Bollox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What brand / model is the claw hammer tool I see in the picture??
  18. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    I have the TUSK brand version of the folding t-handle and decided I would rather carry a Craftsman or higher quality 1/4" sliding t-bar plus an extension. I don't like the looks of the pivot/hinge mechanism of the folding t-handle units. It's completely unnecessary, and having the option to use a t-handle with or without an extension (or with 2 different extension lengths) seems to have greater utility for me. Footprint/weight is close enough to be negligible.
  19. absoluteclint

Oddometer:
    Excellent advice... Thanks! I think I'll be making a trip to the local Sears (most of my tools are Craftsman) to look into a sliding T-Bar. You're right the sliding option makes more sense... By removing the extensions for storage it becomes just as compact as the folding T-Bar without losing the tool's strength/integrity.

I think in the past I have seen ratcheting thumbwheels that fit onto sliding T-bars... I can't seem to find a product that fits that description now. I can find thumbwheels but none that are made to fit onto a sliding T-Bar... Anyone know of such a product? Have a link?

Thanks!
  20. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Put them into a piece of fuel line.:evil