Show Us Your Canoe and Kayak Pictures!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by 2whlrcr, May 14, 2006.

1. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would love to have a tandem kayak or a couple solos to take my daughters out from time to time just cant make the purchase right now (actually been trying to buy one for 4 or 5 years).
    I do have a couple project bikes I could trade if anyone is looking for that next project!
  2. lobsta

lobsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never been in a kayak but this was our excitement for a day.
    Salmon trolling north of Salisbury Sound Alaska (nasty crossing/huge currents/square waves) after a 3 day storm we heard people calling for help on a beach.
    A young couple in a custom hand made wood double had been pinned down on an island for days short on supplies.
    Gave them a 30 mile lift back to town swapping adventure stories.
  3. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Posting in a fishing forum was your first mistake. You should have looked into a paddling forum. You would have gotten good advise.
    Listening to them was your second mistake. Not too many fishermen are experienced with paddle boats. I know, I see them come out every spring, summer and fall paddling crap boats and they don't have a clue how to paddle.
    Why would you be terrified if you have all that safety equipment and that "special kayak"?
    Paddling on a river is "slightly" different than paddling out in open water. They all have their different hazards. You aren't that experienced yourself but you call someone that is telling someone to be cautious a safety Nazi? :lol3 Really? No offense but I'd listen to njpaddler before you.

njpaddler was a little harsh but that boat, which may well keep the buyer happy as a clam for years( I really hope it does), is NOT the ideal boat for that type of paddling, period. The idea that any boat will do whatever you want is just like saying any motorcycle will do whatever you want.
  4. njpaddler

njpaddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ghettoburbia, N.J., U.S.A., near Philadelphia
    Hey, I didn't mean to piss on anybody's flowers, just trying to save some grief. I've seen enough blood, broken bones, ravaged flesh, near-misses & recovered bodies that I am safety-conscious. That's my choice, not to say that I don't still take risks, I do. I manage them, so far, so good. I live to play another day.
  5. Noreaster

Noreaster Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, I should have specified Kayak Fishing Forum and I don't think that I urged any one to ignore safety advice, I certainly didn't mean to! What I DO advocate is taking the advice of strangers of unknown skill and ability with a grain of salt and applying it to your specific situation at hand. In my particular case I could have done fine with the boat that I already had IF I had gotten the most basic of advice: stay away from the mouth and out of the main channel on the rising and falling tide unless you are going in or out as the tide is. Sadly, this was accompanied by a TON of other, well meaning, safety advice that I am glad to follow. The counterpoint is that I see tons of people who don't know the first damn thing about Internet Kayak forums out on the river who DON"T DIE every the that I go out. You CAN have fun on the water IF you are cautions and IF you use common sense. If you are gong to start challenging yourself or your environment at all then yes, you should employ all safety measures that are prudent!
  6. Mudflaps

Mudflaps Northward

Oddometer:
    I like the water like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lousy pictures but good times after really bad weather.:D
  7. ChuckS

ChuckS Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I like my water on the lumpy side. Here's a video of the first time I had my replica qajaq in Lake Michigan surf. FUN!!

[​IMG]<a href="%3Ciframe%20width=" 420"="" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u0LQRql1aAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="%3Ciframe%20width=" 420"="" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u0LQRql1aAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u0LQRql1aAo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

It's a replica of Hunterian #586. It's thought to have been collected about 1800. The museum lost the records in a fire about 1900. It's about 17'4" long and about 18" wide
  8. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

Looking forward to getting my boat out on Lake Michigan a few times this summer. I've got Superior in my backyard, but Michigan is always my home lake.

Just got back from the Kayak Rolling Clinic, try 2.

In a perfectly calm pool, at a comfortable temperature, with a planned flip, and maybe some soft music playing...

...I can roll back upright....

...about 50% of the time. :lol3

Gonna need some practice. :D
  9. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Try a different instructor. You do have someone helping you, right. Hard to cognize when you're upside down. :wink: I've always said that how easily one gets their roll has more to do with their instructor than their own abilities.

The deck of your boat can also make a BIG difference. I learned this back when I had a ww boat that had a very flat deck and I couldn't off side roll it for the life of me. Much much easier when your deck is more rounded or peaked.

Here's another "lumpy" water tale: After spending a lovely night on Caines Head South Beach on Resurrection Bay we awoke to some pretty good swell coming in and breaking onto the gravel beach. It was a steep beach and the smooth grapefruit/tennis ball size rocks were slippery from the cool spray. Just for kicks I decided to launch from the top of the beach about 40' from the water. It went perfectly as I slid down and had to hold my paddle above my head as the crashing waves went over my head as I entered the water. Fun!

I would always MUCH rather launch into surf than land in it. Lucky for me, no real harrowing tales of surf landings altho one time I did almost spear a fellow paddler that got turned sideways in the surf as we were landing and I wizzed on by just off his bow! Poor guy was white as a ghost! :eek1 :lol2

Paddle on, Mark H.
  10. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Actually, this instructor is pretty good. And even if she wasn't- it's not like I can go down the street to the other kayak rolling clinic in town. :D

Going back for round 3 next weekend. I make steady progress each time, so that's encouraging. I'll probably bring my own boat too. I've been using the college's rental fleet of tsunami 140s, a little on the recreational side...

And well, I've got this coming up in July: http://downwindsports.com/glsks/

If I can't figure things out with there, it's probably a hopeless case. :lol3
  11. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Askel, I'm don't know your physical dimensions but those Tsunami cockpits are huge! That, and their stability, are part of why they're crowd favorites at kayak symposiums. Are you able to wedge yourself into it making it tight fit? That can make a pretty big difference in rolling too.

I can roll my ocean boats w/o hip pads but I bring my foot braces back a notch or 2 to really wedge my thighs tightly under deck and lock my lower back into my backband. A backband, as opposed to a hard upright seat back, can help with rolling too. I usually add some closed cell foam to my the under-deck of my boats to make them more comfy on my thighs and it keeps my knees from touching.

Gosh, there are SO many more tips too! That's why I hope you have some good help. Anyway, have fun, Mark H.
  12. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Enough words. Time for more pics! :wink:

Met this crazy Spanish girl at a symposium on Resurrection Bay a few years ago. Comet and I both took a liking to her. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. batoutoflahonda

batoutoflahonda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at getting a Kayak here in the next couple of months. Mostly for the lakes and larger rivers around Easton Wa, and lake Washington. I like the Eddyline boats and have narrowed it down the Sky 10' or Skylark 12'. There aren't many reviews on the 10', but the 12' every one likes. Has any one tried the Sky 10? Any other feed back would be cool too.

Thanks
  14. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!! I am going to Spain in July :evil:evil:evil

15. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Not a single reply?
    I'm interested in the exact same thing, a beginners boat for lake, and mild river use.I'm trying to get my hobbies to be more human powered and less gas powered. My bicycle now gets way more miles than my motorcycle, and I'd like to do the same to my boat (that currently burns a couple hundred bucks worth of fuel most weekend....:bluduh)
    Anyone? :ear
  16. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    Good reference for most kayaks out there: http://www.paddling.net/

More specifically: http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/showRecYaks.html?manufacturerID=45
    With reviews here: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/ The Sky and Skyark is not reviewed yet.

Hope this helps...

17. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm big into a lot of human powered fun too.

As far as recreational boats goes, there are just so many to choose from these days. If you can get to a shop that has a good selection you can talk about 'em with a salesperson and sit in them to see how it feels to you and your body shape. IMO you can do this with a boat on the floor without having to be in water. If you're comfy in your boat you'll prolly have more fun.

Here's a link to a bunch with pics and specs. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  18. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay away from the inflatable. I tried it, even with the optional keel pole thingy. It ends up being wide with a hull shape that conforms to your butt, i.e. not very hydrodynamic and thus sloooooow. Still, if your primary criteria were space, or being able to take your boat to a lake on your MC, this could be an option. :D
  19. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you'd think this wasn't a kayak forum.

Oh, wait.

:D

:hide
  20. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely not a kayak snob, but some of the department store rec boats are just too flimsy. If the hull can be compressed with my hands, like squeezing a one quart oil jug, it's really one step above a pool toy. Got to have foot braces (foot pegs). You are the engine so your butt will tend to slide forward without them. Got to have foam floatation in the ends.
    I found a used boat at a garage sale and I am happy. Avoid boats kept outside, UV rays kill plastic just like on bikes.

Wear a pfd, know how to swim, stay out of the water when it's cold at first, safety is common sense just like on a bike.

I was scared about being trapped in an upside down boat at first. In 4' water with a friend wading right there I turned my boat over on purpose. Every single time I fell right out.