Versys, Ninja, or something else?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ChrisP11, Jul 13, 2014.

1. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, looking for some advice. I'm thinking of purchasing a more high perfromance road bike, but have no experience with these machines. I've ridden dirt bikes and also have a Suzuki DRZ 400 that I ride on the road and some gravel forest service roads. Looking for something more hgihway ready and with better handling and power. Looking to cruise the mountain roads, including some multi-day trips.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for? I have seen the Versys spoken highly of as a great road bike with still some capabilites off road. The Ninja seems more like a pue street bike. I'd really appareciate any input from you more experienced guys.

Thanks
  2. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    f800gs.

also, which ninja? 300, 650, 1000?
  3. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Yeah , I put 20,000 miles on a 2009 Versys and can say that it was one of the most fun do all bikes I have owned ...25 or so...just a great 650 for very little money...new or used...dirt roads or highway...kinda like a big supermoto :freaky

Attached Files:

4. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a vstrom and don't look back.
  5. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thiking maybe I shojuld start with a 300 maybe the 650, as a starter road bike?
  6. RideOn2

RideOn2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I have a 2000 K1200RS, 2002 DRZ and just within the past two weeks I bought a 2008 Versys. It's really a fun bike to ride. The other bikes will be gathering some dust while I figure out what the Versys is all about.

It was ready for new tires so I put a set of Distanza's on it. I spent the last two days ripping through lots of local dirt roads. I'm tempted to do the full armor but I have the DRZ for more serious single track.

I bought the Versys to explore dirt and forest service roads where ever I find them. It's going to be fun messing with this bike.
  7. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    of the bikes you mentioned, it's Versys hands down

you may also want to consider the V-Strom
  8. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have the DRZ, not much reason to get a slightly dirt worthier bike. Go with the Ninja. I had a DRZ to go with my Ninja 650r for a long time, good combo :thumb
  9. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone compare the Versys to the Ninja 650 for me? What am I going to have in one but not the other? It seems as if the Versys would be more of a cruising, forest service type bike, while the Ninja may be more sporty?
  10. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    The new FZ-07 is a direct competitor to the Ninja 650, and according to all the reviews so far, has a much better engine in it. It's a naked and the Ninja is a faired bike, which is nice for choice.
  11. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    to say the FZ-07 is a better bike than the Ninja 650 is saying a lot, because the Ninja is a very good motorcycle. Rider did a very positive review of it just a few years ago.

"The Ninja 650R successfully combines relaxed ergos, stability and good fuel economy (45.5 mpg), despite our test bike’s ridiculously pessimistic fuel gauge that indicates low fuel way too early. Nevertheless, its perfect balance of power and torque is going to make it especially hard to say good-bye when the Ninja finally goes home to Kawasaki." - Rider
  12. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    The Versys sits a little higher at the seat. The engine blocks are the same, but the Versys is tuned for a flatter torque curve. Basically, it reached peak torque faster, but that peak is a little lower than the Ninja. Depending on the model year, the Versys has rebound and damping adjustment on the front end where the Ninja only has rebound. Honestly, they ride about the same, but the Ninja has all the extra plastic to worry about in case of a drop. I've got over 20K miles on my Versys now, and it's not leaving the garage any time soon unless Kawasaki pulls their heads out of their lower orifices and brings the Versys 1K to the states.
  13. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    i would go with an FZ09, OP. judging from your criteria. unless you can't live with a naked bike

i have read posts from many riders on this board with lots of experience with dozens of bikes that say this is one of the best motorcycles they've ever ridden. a few have even said they have not bought a new bike in many years, satisfied with their old tech bikes and not liking new bikes too much. but once they rode the Yamaha, they had to have it

so i would suggest also looking there
  14. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I get into this more and more, there really are a lot of options out there. I started looking at some Honda's, and there seem to be 3 or 4 that might be likely candidates. NC 700 the CB500, etc.

Probably like a lot of things, I can't really go wrong, I just want to make sure I get something sporty enough, but not too much for a fairly inexperienced road rider. I really enjoy my DRZ 400, but with 50/50 trail tires and a max speed of around 80, I'm sure I could have alot more fun on the road on one of these more sport bikes.
  15. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

It depends on how much sportiness you are wanting. How much do you enjoy power and acceleration? If you are one of those that are perfectly happy with a bike that will be only "decent" in that regard, that is good, and it will save you some money. If you really like a powerful motorcycle, I'd agree with Steve and say that the FZ-09 is an excellent choice. Also, the FZ1 is an excellent choice and can be had for great prices for what it is on the used market.

You have experience with riding. It's not like you're going to get an FZ* and immediately flip it over on your head because it has too much power. The nice thing about having a powerful bike is that it will only go as fast as you tell it to. And, it's nice to have the extra juice when you want it. You just have to be sure that you can control yourself. Good luck! :D
  16. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess what I am looking for is something I could strap a small bag to and take off to the mountains for some fun exploring the twistys. Also, something I could take out on a nice afternoon and have some fun on.

My choice probably comes down to how much of a touring vs sport bike I want.

I know the Versys is a very popular touring bike with some offroad capabilities, but I'm just not sure if it has enough sport capabilities for me. I think you are right, I dont want to undersell myself on power, as I can already ride and plan on getting better very quickly.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am also considering a Versys as my next bike. I have owned a lot of different bikes including a few sport bikes. I wouldn't underestimate the Versys as a sport bike. On a tight and twisty road I would take the Versys over most sport bikes. On high speed sweepers, I'd take the sport bike. However, in both cases it really depends on the rider more than the bike. A fast rider on a Versys will run away from an average rider on ANY bike on most twisty roads.

So, it really comes down to personal preference. Many people prefer the more upright seating position of bike like the Versys. Think of it as a practical Super Moto. Some prefer the leaned forward sport bike position. Most of the riders I know who own both types of bikes are much faster on the bike with an upright seating position.

What type of roads do you prefer or what do you ride the most. Lots of high speeds? Get a sport bike. Tight and twisty? Get something upright.

Personally I am considering the Versys, Wee Strom and FZ6R. I am also waiting to see what comes out in the fall. What ever I get I will ride it like a sport bike as well as take it on some long trips. I will put hard luggage on it so I can do some long distance touring so that pretty much eliminates bikes like the FZ09 and FZ07.
  18. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from a GS500 to a Ninja 650R, had a DR650 at the same time and now ride a Yamaha FZ6 (not the newer FZ6R).

I was pretty underwhelmed with Kawasaki's build quality on my first-generation Ninja 650R but they've done a bit better on the ones I've demoed since then.

TBH I'd look at the CB500F/CB500R on the low end, and the FZ-07 / FZ6R on the high end.

The lack of top end on the Versys takes a lot of fun out of faster sweepers/highway runs and I've been really very impressed with the build quality on my Yamaha. FZ6R for more touring, FZ-07 for more backroad blitzing. For the price, the CB500F would be a really fun twisty road bike.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the Versus, but question your perception of its offroad-worthiness. It is a road bike, styled to the "adventure" market, but that is marketing only. You could ride any road bike with reasonable powerband anywhere the V. would go.

Tire pressure and good tire selection will improve any mid weight bike on gravel, and they all suck at anything tougher than gravel /dirt roads (barring KTM950 and such). I bought into the "dualsport" hype when I got my V-Strom, but quickly realized that a 19" front doesn't make a 500 lb bike off-readable for someone with my skills anyway, and there are just so many better tools for the job if offroad is part of the mission plan. DR650, KLR, etc. And since you have a DRZ, no need to have anther bike so close injunction.

I bet the FZ07, Scrambler/Bonnie, Versus, V-Strom, CB500, etc. are all about the same on dirt and gravel roads. I'd pick the one you like for on-road.
  20. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Haha....I read a review this morning where the author rather obviously suggested the FZ-07 was an even better motorcycle than the FZ-09, despite the difference in HP.

All I know is I really want to ride both!!