2010 Masters Golf Tournament

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Deacon, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Deacon

Deacon Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer:
    This is a special year for me, it will be the first trip to the Masters to watch my son-in-law play in this event. He has been twice before but not made the cut. I believe and hope with this tournament and his new mental approach we will get to see him play all 4 days! His name is Ben Crane and here is a little bit about him: http://blog.oregonlive.com/golf/2010/04/golf_ben_crane_treats_masters.html

I will be able to have photo access on Wednesday for the practice rounds and par 3 tournament so expect photos in a "ride report" format. I want to experience the "magical" feeling of this golf course and capture images that convey that feeling.

[​IMG]

Yes, I will attempt to get other player shots as well but may have to hire a couple of bodyguards to get me close enough to some of the players. I hope the focus is on the game of golf and not particular players except for their performance. I expect posts that reflect various advriders' view of the game and comments about particular players but I would really like to see this thread remain positive.

Follow me through and I hope I can provide some fun, informative and descriptive words and pictures for you all!

Deacon
  2. Woodrow823

Woodrow823 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good luck to Ben. I remember the Rory Sabbatini deal a couple of years back. Wish I had tix. Oh, the beers and pimento cheese sandwiches!!
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Enjoy your experience, I envy you. And good luck to Crane.
  4. Bert

Bert Fair / Balanced

Oddometer:
    Your son-in-law Ben is a fine stick, if he can win at Torrey South he can win anywhere.
  5. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ran thru the entire bill murray flower cutting scene in my head.

Thanks! I needed that.
  6. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    I'm pulling for Ben and looking forward to seeing your pictures of Augusta and Ben's swing. :clap

PS - don't let tiger drive your escalade
  7. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
  8. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
  9. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Good luck Ben, have fun Deacon.

Photos? At Augusta are you prevented from having a camera during play?
  10. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    Cameras ok during practice rounds only, unless you're an asshole with it, then you get to talk to the big invisible security guys.

No cameras once the tournament starts, period.
  11. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    And if they are anything like the US Open, they won't be nice about it either. Like you could hear my Leica M3 from 75 yards outdoors - I used to shoot live performances with it...

I need someone to root for...Hope he has a good trip. Does he need a caddy? I'm good with a weed-wacker and can roll one like Carl.

Edited because I saw his name in the orginal post...maroon
  12. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Any digi cam can be made silent.

But.... I expect they do it as 90% of users won't/can't. Easier to police "No Cameras. Period." than "It's ok if you don't make noise" when you have a gallery of 1000s.

Jurgen
  13. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    probably add cell phones to the list of no, no's.
  14. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    Yes, some of the tightest security I've ever been through.

Our hosts went over the program in great detail, leave everything but your little chair and lip balm in the truck, and forget about trying any funny shit to sneak anything in.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Not to mention the auto flash setting.

I don't believe any tourny permits cameras in the gallery.
  16. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Last time I went to a tourny, people were asked to leave cell phone behind or turn them off.
  17. eskimo

eskimo gunga-galunga

Oddometer:
    Good luck, BC! He's obviously a player. And no one's jabbed him over slow play lately, so he's worked on that. Love to see an underdog do well at Mecca.
  18. OuttaMyWay

OuttaMyWay I shook his hand!!!!!1! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I suppose there's one advantage to all the rules of decorum. When somebody slices a drive into the next fairway, the whole world can say, "We were quiet and polite, weren't we? Guess you fucked that one up all by yourself."
  19. Deacon

Deacon Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer:
    Flights went smoothly, biggest PIA is dealing with car rental. You would think the world was coming to an end and they have insurance for any possibility and when you decline you better be ready for the consequences...

Just getting light here at Catalyst's home. He was kind enough to rent us his home for the week. Nice place, very comfortable and walk to the course. Well, hike might be more appropriate:lol3 Going home will be easy, just roll down the hill. We will probably take advantage of riding into the tournament with my daughter; have to pick up passes from her this morning. It's a bit surreal that they maintain some sort of "normal" lifestyle. She has to get the kids up and ready for school. The PGA has daycare/school for the kids on tour with their parents. It is a structured program not just daycare. Get Ben breakfast together and he will head off for a practice round mid morning. We will go to their house to pick up passes and then go to the course. Should give me a chance to get some photos during the day. Ben tees off about 4:30 for the par 3 event.

Hooters was packed last night on the way in, we stopped at Fresh Market for some basic supplies, beer, wine and bread. The 3 hour difference fits right in with my already weird sleep schedules. It is about 7 now and I have been up for about an hour. Sure it will bite me later today but I am ready to go.

Watching the news, it's pretty much all about the tournament; even the almost mocking stories about gouging. $500 per night for $100 rooms, general consensus is that these 2 weeks of prep and play will account for 20% of the year's economy. Grocery prices were the same as home, will have to see how much a baseball hat costs, and make sure I have enough cash for the flags/hats and other mementos the homefolk want.

News just showed Washington St already bumper to bumper. They do provide a fair amount of free parking spaces near the entrance but you have to be early to get them. I had naive visions of a laid back southern town, NOT. Pretty much the same with chain stores, malls etc. Can't wait to see the course. From the weather reports it will be very warm especially coming from the NW where it was raining and 40's yesterday. Biggest problem is pollen, like a yellow snowstorm. Might make the cost of the trip back selling surgical masks, growing in popularity here. I don't have allergies but my eyes already feel like 20 grit...remember to take eye drops and sudafed.

Hopefully back tonight with photos and commentary, thanks for watching.

Deacon
  20. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun time. I might check out the US Open this year. I used to work at Pebble Beach and I still have my employee picture ID that gets me in past the gates, even on my motorcycle.