Duty

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mikegc, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Bearcat

Bearcat burg1

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread, great story, brings back memories. ASA RA13683617

Brad
  2. redmurty

redmurty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sat in stunned silence with tears welling in my eyes as I read this, thank you for the RR.

I sat there thinking of my Father now deceased who served in the Second world war and other places, My uncle who served in the S.O.E. now deceased, my brother who served in Northern Ireland and myself a Falkland vet. None of use never spoke about what we did,

As a child I could never understand why my father would not talk of where he had been, and after serving I knew why and I also knew it did'nt matter, but I also knew we simply did not have the worlds to express what we wanted or needed to.

You Sir have done that, simply and with eloquence that none of my family or I could ever muster, for that I am eternally grateful

Thank you

cheers Spud :wink:
    Wierdrider likes this.
  3. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
    Thank you .
  4. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. edsollen

edsollen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something got in my eyes as I read this report, Now were are the tissues?
    I can only offer a heartfelt thank you for your service as well as your report.
  6. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome home, buddy!

Mike
  7. mikegc

Oddometer:
    NFE,

My wife and I had dinner with General Wolff in Williamsburg, VA a few years ago. During the course of the evening, I inquired as to his proudest moment in his 37 year, three war career. Without hesitation he replied, "My time as an Alamo Scout." Herb Wolff was a hell of a man and I'm fortunate to have been under his command.

Mike
    72 Yamaha RD350 and klaviator like this.
  8. mikegc

Oddometer:
    My snappiest salute to you, Spud. When I reconnected with these fine people, I wrote an essay, of sorts, to my daughters about the unfolding events but also about what I learned from those exceptional men and women in Vietnam. I wrote about only about the good things I saw and learned. I felt like my daughters' children might like to know what the old man did a long time ago. The effort also made me more appreciative of those soldiers who went before.

One of these days, Spud, when you're ready, you may consider something similar.

Mike
    Wierdrider likes this.
  9. Haywood

Haywood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chula Vista,CA (spittin' distance from Baja)
    I just found this today also. Thank you for your service! Thank you also for sharing your report and some of your memories with us.
  10. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For an excellent account of the rescue of POWs at Cabanatuan, I'd suggest Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides.

The unit including Alamo Scouts travelled 25 miles behind enemy lines to attack the POW camp and rescue Americans held from the loss of Corregidor and the subsquent Bataan Death March.

With the help of Filipinos, the unit made its way back with minimal losses.

NFE
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  11. redmurty

redmurty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mike cheers Spud :wink:
  12. CarlS

CarlS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I, too, just found this thread. Thank you, MIke, for the posts, stories and photos. As a fellow vet, they triggered a lot of memories.
  13. mikegc

Oddometer:

Thank you, Carl. Welcome home.

Mike
  14. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cannot believe that I just found this thread but I'm SO glad that I did. I don't even know what to say but THANK YOU!! For everything, your service and for sharing a very special part of your life that you didn't need to share with us. You are obviously a man who understands duty and service to your country and your fellow man.

As the son of a Vietnam Veteran, I just wanted to say WELCOME HOME and God bless you!!

I actually live in Manhattan, Ks. Right next to Ft. Riley, Home of the Big Red One. It's a proud Division with a great history, thanks to men like you that made it what it is.
  15. mikegc

Oddometer:

Thank you, Bugsy. I'm humbled by your kind words. I'm currently in Burlingame, CA and I rode my GSA out here from NC. About three weeks ago, I passed through Junction City and I always give a salute when I pass Fort Riley's airfield. I always feel a bit of pride when I see that Big Red One patch on the water tower.

Mike
  16. Helipilot

Helipilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR Mike, Thank you so much for posting. It brought tears to my eyes and my sweet bride of 45 years shed some with me.

Roger
    101st Airborne, I Corps, RVN, 68 & 69
  17. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Good evening, Roger. It's always nice to hear from a Screamin' Eagle! You guys had a tough time in your AO and I've a great deal of respect for your unit. I went right by Fort Campbell on my current trip and thought about the 101st's rich heritage protecting our country. My former CO, Mike, sent a boxed DVD set of "Band of Brothers" to Major Dick Winters to autograph. The former 101st major did that and also sent an signed photo of himself. It hangs on the wall in my office and is one of my most prized possessions.

Welcome home, Roger!

Mike
    Wierdrider likes this.
  18. mikegc

Oddometer:

Thank you Ed.

I'm currently traveling and I missed your post. Again, many thanks for your kind comment.

Mike
  19. mikegc

Oddometer:

Many thanks, Haywood, and you're certainly welcome.

Mike
  20. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm one of the late ones too. i thoroughly enjoyed your ride report...the pictures and the story. Thanks for sharing.