Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking there's an issue with support for the older CN2010 maps. If I was going to speculate, I say Garmin Product Support is going to tell you that the Montana does not support those older maps. Even though it should!

Cheers,
  2. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have a Montana so this might not be relevant, but the 478 series has a "Declutter On/Off" option that was separate from the "Zoom Level Detail" you've been messing with. The "Declutter On" option basically hid almost all labels (text) on the screen. Might the Montana have the same option somewhere?
  3. scotty69

scotty69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least they let me keep both batteries and are sending a new unit. I have faith!
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that the Montana like most of the newer GPS's are considerably dumbed down compared to units like the 478. You don't have nearly the amount of customiztion with it,
  5. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there some trick to getting the security screw to work on the Rugged mount?? I turn the thing forever and it never seems to grab....I have this issue on both my Rugged mounts...

and yes I k now righty tighty
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    When you put the Montana on the mount, push the floating part in to close it completely, then use the screw. Works every time for me.
  7. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    push the screw down until It starts to engage, then start to tighten it.
    I have heard (from owners of other garmins that use this same screw) don't tighten it too much, as vibration can tighten it even more, causing it to get stuck. It's only there to stop honest people from stealing the GPS.
  8. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

yeah I tried that...pushed squeezed, wiggled, cursed.....doesn't catch....
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't call it "dumbed down". I think they've just got different strengths.

And the new ones have much better capabilities in more important ways like tracks/multiple maps/profiles etc.

And most importantly, the new ones don't use "Garmin Data Cards".

IMHO, of course.
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd never chose a 478 over a Montana. The chipset is slow, the proprietary data cards are stupid expensive, the durability issues make it not nearly as good a unit as the Montana. But, in all fairness, the 478 does allow you to do a lot more setup on the unit then the Montana. That being said, I can easily get by without those options and as you mentioned, the added features of the Montana are very much welcome.
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I had a GPSMAP x7x device, what "Setup" features would you consider important/useful over what the Montana provides?

Cheers,
  12. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure the Montana completely engaged the mount?? The rubber cover for the contacts isn't snapped in place properly it could be preventing it from completely engaging. GH
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I have a rugged mount with the same problem. The security screw will not engage, no matter how much I work it, make sure the mount is closed, etc. It just won't engage.

I bought mine from GPSCity, and emailed them to let them know of the issue. They got Garmin to send me a new rugged mount free of charge.

+1 for GPSCity!
  14. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

YUP its fully engaged.....

Fixed it...took the mount apart. Got rid of the useless spring that pops the security screw up. Gave it just enough extra clearance to engage.
  15. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Hell, it's been 3 years since I got rid of my 478. :lol3 I do know that map detail was better, you could scale further out and still keep the high details. The detour feature is quite handy. The Routing Page was much better. Custom avoids (although I imagine there is a round about way to do the same thing with the Montana)

But like I said, no way I'd trade the Montana for one.
  16. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried to take a couple pictures with my Montana last week. Every time it locked up, acted like it was taking a picture. Then nothing happened except you could get out of the camera mode no matter what. Had to hold the power button till it shut off. Repowered ok, and tried again to take a picture. Same thing happened, sure glad I brought another camera along.

Will have to try and see if there is a setting that is off or what. It worked before just fine.
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I've had this happen if the pictures are being stored to internal storage and it's running out of room. I now always save my pic's to the microSD Card and have not seen that problem again.

Cheers,
  18. 81husky

81husky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Tempe and the 24 hr max temp doesn't reset, not sure about the 24 hr min. Is there any way to force a reset without removing the battery from the Tempe?
  19. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks fro the idea, it only has two photos stored in it, so I am hoping there is a setting that is wrong. I tried it twice before leaving, and it worked great. That seems to be the way things go for me though.
  20. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for that - that fixed it!

2 more questions -

1) Is there any way to fix the data fields so that they 1 set of data fields in the map screen whilst navigating and another set whilst just viewing the map whilst riding?

2) I've set a profile which has 2 pages of icons. For some reason, the first page shown is always the right-hand, or 2nd page of the 2 pages, and I have to arrow back to page 1 to see these icons. It's only on one profile - all the others show the 1st page first. Can I change this to show page 1 first?

thanks again!