KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tool and rack tips folks
  2. darenb68

darenb68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gunnerbuck
  3. selaznog

selaznog Roadless Warrior

Oddometer:
    I've always wanted a 640 adv. I'm thinking of picking up a 1999 with 11K miles at what seems a good price. Is there anything in particular I should look for with this year? Is this a year to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
  4. mada

mada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with 99 model and the color is the best looking of all years IMO.
    As always with 640 Adv, I definitively recommend a fcr41 carburator as the stock mikuni or dellorto sucks big time. Besides that a geat bike.
    [​IMG]
    endurists likes this.
  5. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Love my FCR41... Best mod you can make to a 640 Adventure... Hands Down...
  6. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    Do you like the Touratech GPS Mount in particular, or you may consider other options?
    I see you already have the KTM roadbook carrier installed: I have mounted my Garmin Zumo with the OEM RAM Mount on that very same carrier, and this duet supported 50.000Km, most of them offroad, and never had a problem.
    The only thing I have thought should be a good idea was to put a hard rubber roll between the RAM Rail Base and the carrier. That was enough for the setup to be there successfully functional and firm for 6 years.

[​IMG]

Don't know how much cost today the pricey Touratech Mounts, but the OEM RAM mount is about u$30/u$40... just in case this could be of interest.
    Cheers!
  7. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your panniers, and how much did they run? Thanks!

Ken
  8. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll check out the RAM mount, I have one laying around but I never really thought of using it. thanks for the suggestion.

9. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up the panniers at my local KTM dealer, they ran $480 each. Not quite as expensive as the sport panniers for my BMW K13R, but just about!

10. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1 that's a huge load of money...
  11. deepfreeze

deepfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally had some energy to install Vapor to replace the crappy original Tripmaster. It sometimes worked but usually not...

I checked the prizes from TouraTech for a new unit and instead decided to use TrailTech Vapor.
    Its small enough to go inside the original box and it has some nice features. Now I can see the engine temp, outdoor temp, real speed etc..

And the prize is bargain.

S

picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8z08copgizvyvr/vapor.jpg
  12. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I have been planning on doing this conversion to mine as well. How did the install go? What issues, if any, did you have?
  13. deepfreeze

deepfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was actually easier than I thought.

When You remove the Tripmaster and take it apart - You´ll notice that Vapor fits inside the box tightly.

My friend made me a new cover from 5mm plexiglass and used the Tripmasters cover for dimensions. New cover has a Vapor-shaped hole in middle so You have access to Vapor buttons. If You paint the downside of plexiglass black You get nice looks too. Dont worry about water - Vapor is waterproof. Bottom of the Tripmaster-box You have to drill couple of more holes to get wires out and make one more for the Vapors reset-button. More about that later...

Under the dash is a handful of cables and connectors for Tripmaster - You get rid of them too :clap Keep the tacho-wires intact.

Sensors and wires:

Power. You get power from the old wires.

Speedo. My 2001A used some kind of 3-wire sensor (Vapor uses 2-wire) and the thread size was like 8 or 10mm. I ordered a KTM sensor from Trailtechs catalog but it was obviously for some other model since it came with smaller threads. It was still better choice to work with, than the huge plastic flat-sensor wich is the Vapors "one fits all" solution. By carefully drilling trough the old sensor I managed to make room to fit Vapor-KTM sensor inside the old KTM-sensor. Some 2-component superglue and now it fits the old fastener. It,s neat too.

Temp. Lift the tank and placed the sensor in left side upper corner radiator hose. That is (as far as I imagined) easiest place and leads to shortest wiring too. The hose makes a tight curve there so to make it fit You have to be careful.
    Now we get back to that Vapors reset-button. Once You have installed all the wires and sensors and You still have the dash open - You have to press the reset button once. That is related to temp-sensor. All other sensors work straightaway but temp-sensor needs this reset after You have connected it.

Tacho. Just use the ignition wire and wrap the sensor around it.

s
  14. ChuckHazzard

ChuckHazzard Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
    Deep freeze!

You should do a write up with photos and full story to put on the index thread.

Then I will buy you a beer!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 because I am too cheap to buy the new iPhone 5!!
  15. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Good stuff! When I first considered it, I contacted Trailtech and they advised a 75-100 would fit. Is that the one you used?
    X2
  16. deepfreeze

deepfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry - cant find that product? Can YOu send me a link.

I used this:

http://www.trailtech.net/101-06.html

And that neede some modification as I said.
    If You find the one with same threads it´s easier.

s
  17. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Its a Vapor, but the guy I emailed with said it would fit. Just with the proper hose fitting and speedo mount. A quick ebay search says it fits a KTM sx 1995-2011
  18. deepfreeze

deepfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hose fitting was not a problem for me - that was spot on with the size. If You get the right speedo-mount too that makes the installing a lot easier.

s
  19. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I am in the process of installing the nav tower I have made, it looks like macaroni and cheese at the moment with the cables but I will clear this up...

[​IMG]

The tower looks like it is going ok at the moment but I have the following problems with the choke and and the decompressor cables. They are too short. Does anybody know if there are any other cables to accomodate the rise of the bars ? The problem is that I have to race the bike next weekend and now these to came up :huh
    If worst comes to worst I will remove the decompressor because I have never used it so far and look for solutions form other bikes in the future. May be 660 Rallye had longer cabling ? :ear But for the choke I do not want to remove it completely... I always needed it in low temperatures... :cry
  20. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    So you have a shot from the cockpit side?