2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. K@in

K@in n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the price...
    What's the cost for this bike ? 13000 € / 15000 $/US ?
  2. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    I'd be surprised to see it come in much cheaper than 15000 Euro. The list price on the current 990 is 13795 in Germany. I can't see KTM bringing in all those electronic goodies to the consumer for less than that.

The trend in the market along with bigger, is more expensive. Welcome to the Harley-ization of the dual sport / adventure bike segment.

The fact that you can drop nearly 20k Euro on an R1200GS or over 20k on a Ducati multistrada, making the KTM look like a bargain in comparison, is small consolation when that 15k is around 4k too much for most people which when the Euro Crash really kicks into gear, will be the case more and more often.
  3. Wallaby_Ted

Wallaby_Ted You call that a bullbar?

Oddometer:
    That muffler sucks, i love the fact the 990 / 950 can fall over on any side and all is does is at most scratch up a crash bar / luggage rack. Now it'll be smashing up what i would assume is an expensive exhaust...:muutt

What do you think the chances are that this is the SM-T and that we haven't seen the Adventure yet??? One can only hope!
  4. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    October... The guys at Team Moto told me they will let me know the price first or second week of October.

Hopefully the bike will be available this year!
  5. tommytiger

tommytiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the bike given to the german magazine was called Adventure 1190 R

the SM-T will be nearly the same with smaller wheels i think
  6. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't understand all the complains about exhaust location. Many current 950/990 owners have spent $$$$ for custom rallye-style low exhaust and now when KTM has installed one from factory everybody complain about it :rofl
    Low exhaust positive features for me:
    - less heat under the seat
    - more room for luggage/rear tanks etc
    Btw, that exhaust location probably gave KTM necessary room to put 24 liter fuel tank on!
    Buying a custom bashplate (BDCW etc) is common option for current models, designing proper protection for new model can't be so much different.
  7. Beema Killa

Beema Killa Beema Killa

Oddometer:
    Be interesting to see what gets put out as the final product.
  8. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    Are we actually excited over a 6 gallon tank? That's the bare minimum in my opinion. This could be a great bike for the adventure TOURING crowd. Now where is my 690 ADV...
    I might need to buy it back from H2W.
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    That weight isn't bad. I thought I saw someone earlier complaining about it. The 2012 990 is 209.5kg semi-dry I believe. 24 liters weighs ~18 kilos.

I guess it depends on whether the fuel-economy is as crappola as the 950/990. At 45mpg 6 gallons looks just fine.
  10. v8toilet

Oddometer:
    Yes it looks fine @ 45mpg, who's KTM gets that? (Bring on the three guys who will claim their bikes do, it's not the rule it's the exception.) I couldn't find much on the RC8 consumption numbers but I did see 35mpg at constant throttle. If it's detuned it should get slightly better mileage. I would think 42-43mpg at constant throttle. Ride it hard and it will probably drop to normal KTM 36-38 :lol3 I think I can get my SE down in the high 20's if I try.

Since its fuel injected the 24 liters is probably not usable capacity with pump and filters. I think it will be a nice bike and a good alternative for folks looking for a Multistrada with more dirt capability. Maybe I'll buy one once the bugs are squashed, it only took me 7 years to try the 950.....:deal

It would make a nice two-up tourer with the misses. Combined we weigh in at 270lbs, I bet 150hp would move us around nicely.
  11. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    I think you missed the irony. As someone who's got <20mpg on their 950 and never more than 40. I hear ya. I keep hoping KTM will somehow improve things. I know I know, if you can afford $15k for a bike you can afford to get shitty gas mileage, I've heard it all before .... we'll see if these people feel the same when gas is $6 gallon as it surely will be soon. I guess we're lucky the taxes are low so it's not $8/gallon like it is in the rest of the world.
  12. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Close to $9 per gallon here in The Netherlands. :(

It won't stop me from riding the 950. After all, when you calculate all the money you throw in the bike and bike related stuff, a price difference between $5 or $9 a gallon isn't an ultra spectacular difference in yearly operating cost. The same story with 30mpg vs 45mpg. The extra fuel cost almost drowns in the money spent on bike writeoff, insurance, maintenance, repair, tyres, clothing, food and drinks on a ride, farkles, etcetera.

Besides that, fuel mileage of the 950 is still better than that of most cars that are not boring to the bone.

My problem with the fuel thirst of the 950 is range. I can do 250-300km on a tankfull of fuel (onroad). When riding on the backroads on a sunday, this means that after only 180km or so I can start looking for a gas station. I hate that.
  13. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's still one of the biggest fuel tanks offered for current big adventure bikes. Yamaha S10 has 23liters (261kg), BMW 1200GS 20liters (229kg) and Ducati MS1200 20liters (220kg). Only exception is BMW GS Adventure with 33liters (256kg).
    That's enough for Europe and most adventure touring I can think of from my point of view. Of course it may be different for US and Australia.
  14. Jonny955

Jonny955 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You missed the other exception - Moto Guzzi Stelvio (32L) :wink:

I used to be pretty hung-up about tank range and my 955i Tiger was pretty good with typically 215 miles in between fills (often did more). You can easily convince yourself that you need a bigger and bigger tank so that you don't need to visit a petrol station every day whilst touring and there certainly are benefits to that.

I then looked at the way I ride, most of the time. I'm not doing super long adventure tours, just hooning around with the occasional jolly to Wales, France or Spain and some local off-roading. I don't do much off-roading but I like the feel of a proper sporty trail bike on the road as well. My current 990 would just about get to 200 miles between fills if I take it easy but my normal fill-up range has just dropped by about 30-40 miles. So far, it hasn't been an issue and I can tap the benefits of the Adventure more than I can benefit form the desert fuel range of a more road-focussed/heavier bike.

If I ever embark on that desert-tour, I'll be spending a small fortune anyway so the modifications to carry extra fuel will be a drop in the ocean. If I do another Euro-tour, I'll take a collapsible fuel tank at the bottom of a pannier and probably leave it there, empty.

The exception is for those of us who regularly do distance on a daily basis such as long-distance commuting. I can fully understand why you would then select a bike based on range above (almost) anything else. The Guzzi and the GSA seem to have the edge here because they also have shaft drive.

I don't think you can win. Even GSA riders must have, on occasion, wished for a longer range when their reserve light flashed on and forced an inconvenient stop.

Jon
  15. Bikeaddict

Bikeaddict Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer:
    It looks like a revamped smt to me and yes I like it because KTM runs in my veins. And yes, I would be torn between the R and non R version! I would love to test ride one although by the time it reaches my country we will be probably skating and not riding bikes ... (world economics suck big time!)
  16. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's certainly got the stats on it's side. Looking forward to throwing a leg over one.
  17. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get 45mpg on my rc8... The dual spark engine is more efficient than the original rc8. See post 80 in this thread.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18982891&postcount=80

I was on the fence between MTS for practicality and jack of all trades attributes, but chose the rc8 for many reasons (including sexiness and brand appeal to me over Ducati douchiness). The engine is actually a gem, with really smooth and tractable torque through the entire rev range, noticeably better than the multistrada. Even without detuning, this will make a great power plant for adventure bike.
  18. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i don't get the hype about that bike. I rode one and it seriously sucked under 5k rpm and then took off, how that is beneficial on a dirt road is beyond me. Handled nice though. If ktm can manage to tune the fueling so it's not too twitchy off idle and still have good low rpm grunt it might be a special bike
  19. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When pigs can fly my friend, when pigs can fly....
  20. v8toilet

Oddometer:
    That is great news, my comment regarding mileage should have said "Who's LC8 gets that?"