The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like this idea.
  2. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:

According to the employee behind the counter, it was ATP gun shop, Summerville SC. He received a call from a CSM or some other manager at a WM store about 15 miles away, letting them know they were on their way to his store to make a buy...and the guy was at the counter trying to buy all their ammo while he was on the phone. The WM employee knew for a fact it was an ATP employee. The WM employee refused the sale.

ATP will never again get my business. Neither will Cheaper Than Dirt...

I know for a fact ATP did it in 2008. I purchased 3 boxes of Hornady self defense ammo for my Browning HP. They didn't even pull off the Wal Mart price sticker. Just covered it up with their own sticker for an additional few $.

EDIT: From what I have found, the 3 box limit is widespread, not due specifically to the actions of the local gun store mentioned in my post above. Still, the actions of ATP are no less underhanded.
  3. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nope it was very clear, def a garand, full stock and very distinctive forend, BAR totally different. could you pull the trigger fast enough on an M1 to LOOK like its full auto? selective fire T20 came out in 1944, did any see service?
  4. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    It's possible to bump fire any semi-auto weapon to simulate full auto fire. It's all in the way the gun is held so it oscillates back and forth and trips the trigger as it comes forward out of recoil. The only other way one could get full auto would be to do a bit of unauthorized work on the trigger assembly. There were probably enough Garands lying around that someone could swipe a second trigger assembly and modify it, then swap back and forth.

I seriously doubt that any experimental T series weapons ever made it into the war. General Hatcher in his books never mentioned it, and he was the one who would have known and authorized it.

In the end, the M14 was uncontrollable in full auto, even with the straight line stock they came up with. The BAR was quite a bit heavier and easier to control. I had the opportunity to fire one full auto in the service once.
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Anybody bought a new Marlin 336 in the last few months? Lot's of chatter about the quality going to hell after the Remington buyout. I looked at a 336W at Dicks the other day and the fit and finish of the wood and metal didn't look to bad to me. I guess they have been making improvements. The action did seem stiff, but not rough. Of course I wasn't able to cycle rounds through it.

Any personal experience with a recent purchase out there?
  6. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    I picked up another new toy this weekend....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a little bit more ammoes too. :D
    That shit's hard to come by these days, ya know.

[​IMG]
  7. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Maybe have a dealer sell it for you, so that the purchaser goes through the NICS background check? A local shop sells guns and charges either 10 or 15% commission, so that's better than simply selling to a dealer outright.
  8. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you live in NY from what I understand.

9. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    The local shop just got a Baer in. Its the first one I've seen in person. Lots of Browns, Nighthawks and Wilsons in the area but not Baers. How do you like it?
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    What is involved in qualifying for a CMP status to acquire a Garand?
  11. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    Pretty straightforward. You need:

• Proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate)
    • Membership of an affiliated club (local or national org)
    • Proof of firearms training (ex: hunter safety)

"Hardest" part is the affiliated club membership. This can be a national org such as Garand Collectors Assoc, Glock Shooting Sports Assoc. Sometimes local ranges and clubs are too. Find a CMP Affiliated Club!

Submit notarized paperwork and payment, the green rifle case will show up. You can attach a post it note if you're looking for something specific and the CMP crew will do their best, but generally it's luck of the draw. Another option is to visit one of their stores in person, or have someone visit and pick one out for you. Several folks on the CMP forums will do this for a nominal fee ($25-60), and this allows you to really fine tune your rifle. I've done this and was very happy with the result.
  12. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
  13. mustang

mustang Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    works for me !
  14. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
  15. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
  16. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    So which is it? Do you own a Penton Six Days or a Penton Mint 400?:D
  17. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    It may have had an unofficial "field" mod done to it. Which was very frowned upon at the time, since it could get the GI in question seriously injured.
  18. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Mint flavor:

[​IMG]

green fiberglass tastes minty:lol3 but don't let the metal fenders touch your fillings.
  19. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I bought ammo from them, don't remember if that required club affiliation, but since I was an active peace officer at the time, they accepted that.

EDIT: Actually, here's an excerpt from their rules, looks like they also accept active or prior service in the military.

"Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc."
  20. Powers77

Powers77 2009 GSA

Oddometer: