Broke my wing cherry on an F6B

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by jasonc32amg, Mar 30, 2013.

1. jasonc32amg

jasonc32amg Hello Gubner

Oddometer:
    While I was having my Tenere being serviced at Central Florida Powersports I had the opportunity to test out a black F6B. Here's the offending vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    I've never ridden a Goldwing before and have been evolving in my opinion of them. I used to simply dismiss them as too car-like and a bike for old fogies. Over the past few years I've become more and more interested in them but have never actually ridden one. I've been riding since I was 6 and when I transitioned to streetbikes at 16 all my time has been spent on crotch rockets except for early encounters with a v65 magna and an h2 750. Now in my early forties I have the aforementioned Tenere and a GSXR 1k.

Back to the F6B. I've thought this thing was stunning since it was first unveiled. When the sales manager offered me the demo I jumped at the chance. The weather was frigid for Florida in the 50's. As I pulled out of the dealership the first thing I was struck by was the velvety motor. It reminded me of my wife's old Boxster. It sounded sweet with plenty of power. The next impression was the comfort. Everything felt in place and a little more welcoming than I recalled from sitting on the standard model. The heated grips were toasty overkill but I'm sure folks appreciate them up north. The music was a new experience for me and I thought that was pretty cool but over 50mph I couldn't here it. A taller windscreen would be a first mod on this bike.

I headed to a vacant parking lot and spent some time familiarizing myself with the low speed handling and controls and everything felt great. At no point did I feel like I was shuffling an 800lb beast around.

After the parking lot I headed out on various back roads for @ 30 miles. The suspension was very tight, the braking was fine, and overall handling was impressive. I kept being impressed by the motor. The sound, the power, the smoothness, and overall character appealed to me.

I'm smitten with the bike and my ride has me seriously considering a wing in my future. I plan on taking a standard model out to compare. I've read that the F6B is much more "alive" than the standard model but you also give up quite a few features and storage. I don't see the lack of a reverse as a big deal. The lack of a trunk could be a problem though.

Anyway, just a few thought from a wing newbie. I'm very impressed with the bike and came away with a great amount of respect for the bike. In my eyes this thing has all the cool factor of any bagger with Honda quality and a scrumptious motor. :evil
    FJ Fun likes this.
  2. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    You get (standard) heated grips and independant heated seats on a base Gold Wing, plus true electronic cruise control and (of course) reverse. These (standard) features are lacking on the F6B.

Yes, we have a Super Tenere, and also a 2010 Gold Wing - and a few others. The Wing is my Wife's bike. I'm simply the pilot. It's the bike that makes all of the rest... possible.

I've sat on a couple of those F6B bikes but never test driven one. Basically same engine/transmission/frame and everything else ('cept a trunk and electronics) as your common, ordinary, garden variety Gold Wing GL1800.
  3. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    FJ Fun and TT RDHS like this.
  4. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hehe, a sound near and dear - grinding the crash bars while cornering. They do dance well with an experienced hand on the bars.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  5. kellydax

kellydax fiddler

Oddometer:
    hi Im a first timer on this site and trying to find my way around .Ididnt want to look in and not say any thing ,i thought that might seem rude i just bought my first new bike today and i cant wait to pick it up on tuesday.Its a 900 kaw classic .i havent driven since i was a teenager.

:clap
    TT RDHS likes this.
  6. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    motorhead748 likes this.
  7. glynb

glynb Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer:
    I test rode a basic F6B today, and had the same impressions that you did. The motor is amazing, and smooth as silk. I examined the plastics on it closely, including the side panniers. The set up was very nice, however it seemed that the plastics were "thinner", and did not feel as heavy or thick as the plastics on my ST1100. I guess it's a weight saving measure. The fit and finish on the F6B was typical Honda excellent.

I just can't handle 20K for a motorcycle. It is a very nice motorcycle.
    RebelYell likes this.
  8. jasonc32amg

jasonc32amg Hello Gubner

Oddometer:
    I'm going to hold out and see if they discount them like they usually do for the other versions.
  9. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's an awesome and sweet machine.
    Everything I dislike about the wing is addressed in the F'er.

I think if you take it home, you could probably count on it being a bike that does 20+ years and tons of miles with you.
    FJ Fun and Rox like this.
  10. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    Longtime sportbike guy myself, had a GL1800 for a few years alongside my RSV Mille and CB1100XX when the wife wanted something a little more comfortable than the XX.

My buddies used to chuckle a bit when I showed up on rides with it....but soon grew to respect it as a bike that can be ridden quite quickly by someone who's got a few miles under their belt.

All I can say about the F6B is -- it's about time Honda!
    That's a great platform for a bike that would appeal to folks besides the touring crowd.
    VaderSS, FJ Fun and Rox like this.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I went to buy one and went with a discounted regular 2012 'wing instead. They were so close in price and I got features that I really, really need.

I'm on pace for 70,000 miles for my first year with the Goldwing, I'm hoping for 7 years and 500,000 miles.

I still want the bagger, maybe in a year or so?
    FJ Fun likes this.
  12. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    +1 on Traxxion. Turned my saggy '01 into one of those light-footed hippo ballerinas from Fantasia.

I think I'm missing the point of the F6B, though. Seems to me the two most popular aftermarket add-ons will be a trunk and a taller windscreen...at which point why not just go ahead and get a GL18?
  13. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Seat height is lower and further back on the F6B, makes for a roomier cockpit. I'm about to cut the screen down on my wing, it ain't that great.

I do like the trunk and all the other creature comforts, but for the average rider at less than 12,000 miles per year the bagger is a pretty good choice.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  14. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's a bit unfortunate they removed the reverse gear but kept the sound system. I would prefer it the other way around: get rid of the sound system because it must add a few pounds (and I don't want it in any case), but keep the reverse gear because this is still a heavy, heavy beast and it might seem fine at first but I'd bet you'll miss the reverse the first time you have to park it on any kind of slope!
    Jimmy the Heater likes this.
  15. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. :clap

I think for a guy who commutes, the F'er is a great bike. Of course the 'wing is the road trip king. :deal
  16. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    No sport bikes for me thanks (oh the pain, the pain) I recently sold a 1500 Goldwing ( to big for my needs, and burned to much gas), but if I had the money to buy an FB6, and put gas in it, I would probably get it. The missing "features" are actually a good thing to me. The 1500 was loaded with tons of completely worthless gadgetry, some of which failed on mine, including the cruise control. If you are going to ride two up, the regular Goldwing is THE way to go. For a solo rider, the FB6 looks like a much better deal. You still get that smooth, reliable, 300,000 mile engine.
  17. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    I've tried to love Wings over the years but ever since they sprouted an abundance of Tupperware in the 80's, it never felt quite right. Then when the 1500 became the1800, the rider seating area seemed to become even tighter for me (6'2"). What I find surprising about the F6B is how much more comfortable it is, much more like a F6C than a Wing. I know it's has a different seat but having tried set-back seats on Wings before, this feels like more than that. I've also never been a fan of dragging a top-box around when it's only needed occasionally. For that, I did rather use a seat bag or a removable unit. Given that its essentially the same bike it's remarkable to me how different it looks and feels. I've not had a chance to ride one yet but I'm looking forward to doing so. This is a bike that I think will get more people into the franchise & deservedly so.
  18. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a test ride scheduled for this afternoon. I'm currently on a DL650 and just ready for something different.

I had a 97 Valkyrie Tourer, and I have always regretted selling that bike.
  19. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at some of the other comments from other posters:

I think for a guy who commutes, the F'er is a great bike

I recently sold a 1500 Goldwing ( to big for my needs, and burned to much gas), but if I had the money to buy an FB6,

Everything I dislike about the wing is addressed in the F'er.

All I can say about the F6B is -- it's about time Honda!
    That's a great platform for a bike that would appeal to folks besides the touring crowd.

For very little development money Honda hopes to capture a new market for an aging platform.

Besides, next year's "update" might possibly include a trunk and reverse :lol3

I checked one out at the dealer last week. Looked fine, but it's still a huge machine- so no desire to take it out for a ride.
  20. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    Valid points, every one--for those posters. Me? Not so much. I own a GL1800, and while it's a great bike for touring, for just about everything else it's too big, too heavy, too...everything. The F6B deletes the trunk's luggage capacity, and the wind protection provided by the taller screen, and the reverse gear, the things that go a long way toward making the GL a tourer. Without them, the F6B impresses me as just a really big and heavy streetbike/cruiser/stripped bagger. That doesn't do the trick for me.

Not a criticism of anyone who likes it, mind you, just my impression of the bike WRT my preferences.