2014 Desert 100

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Sethro303, Dec 22, 2013.

1. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The main reason I didn't do the dual sport run last year is I didn't have anybody to ride with, my buddies were all on the Iron Man. We should get an ADV group together for the DS! :deal
  2. fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred n00b

Oddometer:
    I can ride with you, Pete. We probably should have met in person years ago, anyway.
  3. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Fred, that sounds great, would you be riding the Ape or did you plate the 300?
  4. NWPanzer

NWPanzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Pete/ Fred -
    I'm in the same boat - wanted to do the DS ride last year but alas no one to ride with. if you all wouldn't mind I would love to join a reasonably paced DS run. I'm on a G650 Sertao - and by that time should have shed the Heidenau k60's and be on some TKC80's a bit more knob is always better right?
  5. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:

I would be down for the DS ride.
  6. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took my XR650L on the Ironman last year and this year I should be riding a KTM 690 Enduro.

I'd be up for either the dual sport or the ironman again. The iron man route is no joke for a >650cc bike, but its also a TON of fun.

Here is some edited video of the poker run route:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7HitrKXJ3Ao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. gameyogi

gameyogi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the race last year on my ktm 250exc, it was fun and I think the d100 is something everyone should try at least once. That said, I won't be doing it again, the whole time I was riding I kept thinking how much more fun it would be if there weren't a zillion people on the trail, I ended up leaving right after the race and heading over to Mattawa and riding alone.
    Here's a picture of the sea of motor homes and campers, it seemed like a significantly larger population than the nearby town.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I ride to get away from crowds not to join them, but like I said it's definately worth doing at least once, and it may be your thing
    Have fun!
  8. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look forward to following this thread leading up to the D100 weekend....and answering/clarifying/straightening out questions/concerns you guys might have.

Mike
    2014 D100 Chairman
  9. $kywalker

$kywalker what's next?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for helping put this on Mike. I ve only raced the last 3 years and last year was the best course yet. That main bottle neck thinned the herd in a hurry. Lol.

I would like you to think about enforcing the bibs being visible. I had a rider whom I was pacing on my second lap cut the course around mile marker 9. Just went left up and over the hill... cut out probably two miles. when I told the guy at the check what I saw he asked me for his bib number. I could only tell him he's was wearing a blue backpack over his bib. Couldn't see his bib number completely. The guy ended up few guys in front of me. Weird situation to ride the race knowing the guy your chasing cheated... had to think real hard to keep my head on straight...

I like the rule about the race winner and second Lappers. Didn't seem like people knew about it and were upset. I like it.

My goal this year is under 4hours... not including waiting to go thru the finish line...lol

Thanks Luke.
  10. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:

Awesome to have a race rep join in the thread! This event must be a monstrous undertaking, thanks for all the work you and your team puts in!!
  11. koorbloh

koorbloh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky :1drink

Yup. I love Odessa.
  12. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of showing up for the DS ride on the big bike
  13. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whelp!! I can verify that 2 more 800 GSs will be making the race (provided we don't break them on our March AZ and UTBDR trip). We get home the 30th, spoon on new tires, and onto Odessa:deal
  14. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see it Chet:clap I may be a no show this year, unless I come home a few days earlier from Death Valley 1st time I will be missing the 100 in more than 10 years.:cry
  15. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We do our best to create a course that is not conducive to cheating as you witnessed but some people just have to cheat to feel better.

I looked at a map where you think you were...on the other side of the road crossing still?
  16. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just wanna make sure you guys keep the stories straight. Don't believe anything Cyclops or Hayshaker says about me... I deny it or it was the Pendleton talking:D

But the event itself isn't too bad....just surround yourself with good friends in the club that work hard and take little bits off at a time.
  17. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know, Jim, I'd like to ride with you! :freaky
  18. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    Will you be able to avoid the creek bottleneck again this year? Bypassing that was a huge improvement to the course, especially for us whale riders. I know a few disagreed, but I thought that the rocky uphill used as an alternative was fun in its own right.

Bottleneck or not, I'm looking forward to this year's event.
  19. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haaa. denial is the first step. :wink: Ill do my best to make it back in time, maybe you can hold a spot for me:lol3
  20. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I will make it. In California the week before. :cry