New Baja Designs Squadron + S2 LED Motorcycle Light

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Baja Diego, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Baja Trent

Baja Trent n00b

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately we don't have any photometric charts on our Squadron motorcycle light. Tell you what though, how about I send you a complete light to test for say 25-30 days. This way you can test the light and provide us with rider feedback. If this is something you would be interested in please feel free to give me a call to discuss the details.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  2. islano

islano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

Bright and Dim please!
  3. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks like a great setup and really isn't a bad price at all for quality LEDs - compare to Rigid etc. truck lights and its very competitive.

MJS, if you'd go to a desert race you'd see a ton of good LED lights on TTs - Rigid has "spot" LED lights that throw light a really long way. I think maybe your info is old or inapplicable to motorsports lights.
  4. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not so much old, maybe inapplicable.

Unfortunately, LED is the new buzz word. There are many benefits to LEDs but they are not always the most efficient light source. There are many applications where the efficiency of a quartz fixture is better than that of an LED fixture. A HID fixture can be even more efficient. A large part of fixture design is making maximum use of all of the visible light coming from a lamp or emitter. That is a function of the fixture design especially the reflector and lens system (if any). There are accepted ways to measure the usable light of a fixture. No automotive light manufacturer that I know of uses or publishes the results these measurements. Closest may be Hella who generally show a chart on the beam spread and throw of their fixtures. Until manufacturers actually publish that type of data, I'm going to be skeptical of the marketing hype.

I am not picking on BD. They are probably the best off road lights out there. I talked with Trent yesterday about these lights. His feeling was that the 8" race light was still better due to the reflector and lens assembly.

The 35 watt race light is approximately the same current draw (due to the ballast) as the 44 watt LED. But the Squadron may have more appeal if you don't want to hang a big old racelight on your bike (which in this case, I don't).

Trent is going to send me a squadron to evaluate. I intend to compare it to the BD 8" HID race light and a Hella 4000 quartz along with maybe a cheap HID driving beam. Those are the fixtures I have access to. My testing will not be scientific as I do not own the proper test equipment but I will attempt to equalize it across fixtures. I intend to setup an indoor test stand where I can get a rough idea of beam pattern and fC. Then a trip to a desert road, preferably on a moonless night, for some real world comparison. And maybe some pictures using a camera with manual settings to make sure the exposure is the same for the different fixtures.

And I'd like to thank Trent for taking the time to answer my questions. BD is obviously a company that believes in their products and cares about customer satisfaction. That is worth a lot in my book.

Cheers,
  5. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you get the light see if there is a way to make it passable for road use. ie tilting it down on the fly or running some tape on the lens to reduce head-on glare.

Thanks
  6. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Will this light operate on an AC stator, ' 05 KTM 525 EXC, or does it need DC power to operate correctly?
  7. Baja Diego

Baja Diego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it will only operate in DC power. So you will have to modify the stator on the KTM 525 EXC.
  8. reidinitaly

reidinitaly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any plan on producing a retroactive kit to have them mount up to stock KTM head lights (plug and play)?
  9. Baja Diego

Baja Diego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BINGO!!! :evil that is in the works as we type reidinitaly
  10. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Got it.
  11. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    When will this be available?
  12. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Guy Jinbaiquerre Monorail Conductor

Oddometer:
    Trent,

I have the BD 4" Fuegos and I was wondering how the Squadron compares to the Fuego. Looks like you have both in that picture. Can you share your thoughts on the differences between them?

Thanks... :ear
  13. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I received my new light yesterday. :clap

It looks great!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do have a couple questions for BajaTrent or Baja Diego...

There is not a shield in front of the light to protect it. Should I put a clear film on the lens to protect it from scratches?
    [​IMG]

The side panels are fabricated with holes, presumably for turn signals (nice touch), but the mounting plates are partially covers the holes. Do I have this assembled incorectly? If not, futrure runs should move the holes forward about 3/4 inch.
    [​IMG]
  14. Baja Diego

Baja Diego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    traveltoad yeee buddy let us know how the light preforms for you!!! :clap We do not offer a rock shield for the light since its made of a hard <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]-->Polycarbonatematerial. It can be replaced if it gets to scratched for $10.00. you do have it assembled correctly though
  15. Baja Diego

Baja Diego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're hoping in 2-3 weeks :clap
  16. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I love your Stuff Baja, my Stryker light is amazing. I've used it for a few Rally races and it's saved my A$$ many times. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the KTM/BERG.
  17. harrell111

harrell111 Scott

Oddometer:
    Is there any chance we could get a little more clear of a picture of the light in use, and maybe something where we can tell the distance its lighting up? Im looking for a lighting system for a 24 hour race so distance is more important than usual trail ridding situations.
  18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I will have mine hooked up in the next couple days... is there a specific distance of which you would like to see?
  19. harrell111

harrell111 Scott

Oddometer:
    hmm I would say 50-80 feet, its a highish speed race so Im hopping it will have enough light that running it I wouldn't be "out ridding my light" the whole time.
  20. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Ok... I have only had time to get into the back yard with the lights so far. I will try to get some more this weekend, but this gives you an idea of the light.

All of these were taken one right after the other in about the same spot in my back yard with a Canon PowerShot G12 manually set to a 2000 ISO, 1/5 exposure time and and aperture f/2.8. With the settings held static it will give you an idea of the different amount of light. Both bikes sat on a charger to make sure the batteries were fully charged before the photos. Neither bike had me on it... so adjustments might look off with the SE and I have not even tried to adjust the Squadron yet although it looks very easy to do. The fence is about 60+feet away from the front of the light.

Suer Enduro low beam with aftermarket bulb (I think 60w):
    [​IMG]

Super Enduro high beam with aftermarket bulb (80w):
    [​IMG]

I know, I know, the stock Super Enduro head light sucks big time even with an aftermarket bulb.

Ktm 400 with Squadron Light (only one beam):
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get some photos with a bit more distance in the next few days.