Jammin thru the Global South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jammin, Mar 4, 2010.

1. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Great update Jay.
    Hopefully with the time off the bike while she sails to Europe you'll be able to update more often :D

Fill up in Argentina, even if the fuel goes a little "stale" I'm sure you will be putting a lot worse into your tank in some places throughout Africa. I've had both my bike sit for longer than one month without any problems to the fuel... I would shut the petckock off and run the engine until it shuts off by itself so you are sure the carb and lines won't develop any gunk in them.

Ride on!
  2. Jammin

Jammin Integrating back into society

Oddometer:
    Ok, filling her up with cheap Argentina Nafta (what they call gasoline here). Good tip about running the carb dry, didn't know about that :beer

thx

Ha, but Im going to be sailing with the bike :wink: I'm going in the Grimaldi ship along with the bike but fear not, I will be working furiously on getting all the pictures edited over the 3 week journey and ready to upload once I land, since there's no internet on the boat or if there is, it's crazy expensive satellite, pay-per-kb :huh

Will fill up and run the carb dry. thx.
  3. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Going to be interviewed on online motorcycle radio show SideStandUp.com tonight (February 15) at 8:20 pm ET (New York) :trp Listen live from the below website:

[​IMG]

Last interview from the Americas and then it's off to Afffrica! I board the Grimaldi ship tomorrow.

Oh and before me, Alisa (MotoAdventureGal) is going to be talking about her trip. She comes on at 7:45 pm ET. :beer
  4. Martigo

Martigo Kreisverkehrfahrer

Oddometer:
    Hej Jay,

BON ROUTE!!!!!! :D

Try to keep you informed about the Nordtwin guys at Hamburg.
  5. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Hi Martigo, thanks for your help. Michael from nordtwin.de got in touch with me and he's going to help me get some tires when I get to Hamburg :beer

My last day in the Americas. Tomorrow sanDRina and I board the Grimaldi Grande Francia, a 213 m (700 ft) long vehicle-carrying cargo ship for a month long voyage across the Atlantic Ocean :devildog

I get a small cabin, 3 meals a day and entertainment consists of clear night skies. Looking forward to this different experience; s-l-o-w travel. I don't think they have internet on board for the few passengers, so I might be in a communications black-out. They might let us down at some ports along the way and if I find internet, I'll send an update. But if not, I should be arriving in Hamburg, Germany around March 15th. Good-bye Americas, it's been great! :freaky

You can track the progress of the ship here: http://bit.ly/jayship.

I've got some books, downloaded some movies and plan to work on all the photos from the past few months and hopefully string a few videos together, as well. But most of all, it should be a nice break to call the same bed home for a month :wink:

See you on the other side :wave

[​IMG]
  6. WOXOF

WOXOF Just wander'n

Oddometer:
    Have a safe voyage Jay.
    Will be looking forward to hearing from you around Ides of March.
  7. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun new part of the adventure. Can't wait for the Africa leg.
  8. Skedaddle

Skedaddle just call me Lou

Oddometer:
    Calm waters and following seas to you my friend. Thanks for taking us along.
  9. BKawa

BKawa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May you have fair winds and following seas. :devildog Can't wait for more. Looking forward to Africa.
  10. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Hello from Rio!
    It's been about 7 days on board and things are going well. Got down for the afternoon to find some internet. Heard things are going crazy in north Africa and Morocco :/
    8 other passengers mostly overland travelers, so good company. Lots of food but strict schedule for meals. Every meal, pasta, fish, beef and wine :freaky. Going to gain weight for sure. Cabin is spacious and enjoying the first dose of privacy in a long while. Also, the top deck of the ship is open and lots of space to walk around and take in the ocean views and stars. From here, it's a 7 day stretch across the Atlantic to Dakar and then up to Hamburg.
    Working on all the pictures and videos :D
  11. Rider14

Rider14 Rider14

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the peace of the boat - hoping you have a calm journey.

Don't forget to exercise, that is, if you can fit it in the small bit of free time you'll have on the ship...:D

- Dan
  12. Rockin Rollin

Rockin Rollin Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jammin! Hello from Canada. :wave
    Just discovered your report , looks like you have info on a lot of the same terrain I want to cover next year.:getiton Thanks for reporting.:y0!:clap
    I want to review the report & will be reading along from here.

Buene Seurte, Vaya con Dios mi Amigo EH!
  13. fastlane1

fastlane1 Catching up with my past

Oddometer:
    Hi Jay,
    A year ago today you started this thread. CONGRATULATIONS on your great achievement so far. :clapI've been following along and have made your Chicken Curry and enjoyed the adventure.:D

I'm always amazed at the quality of your blogs,web site and updates - truly a professional presentation and very well organised - and all from the back of a bike.:thumb:thumb:thumb

I notice that you are currently about 3 months behind your weather tracking schedule you set yourself on page 1.:wink: That could put you in S.Africa in winter:huh (Winter = dry and frosty in Jo'burg // VERY WET and WINDY in Capetown). There is a huge dualsport community in S.A. so you will be in good hands.

A very different African adventure awaits you - where posted speed limits are treated as a suggestion, and road signs are often used as target practice and are full of bullet holes and there is no wrong side of the road.
    :eek1 Security in Africa is also a big issue - I may be stating the obvious here but your senses need to be constantly tuned to ALERT mode.

Drive safely and have your wits about you!! Thanks for taking us all along!!!! Here's wishing you the best for the next years installment - we'll all be following your epic trip closely.:lurk
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    you are my hero!

15. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Hello from Dakar. We pulled into port this morning and only have a couple hours on shore. Ship journey is going well. Working on all the photos and videos from the past three months. They're stuffing us like pigs, but playing table tennis to keep in shape, hehe. Another 10 days to Hamburg. It's getting colder...
  16. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Sounds just like quite a few countries in South America. I knew I would get along well in a country when I saw all the road signs riddled with bullet holes. :lol3

Have you figured out a route through north Africa yet? Would be an interesting time to go through, if you can get through. :rofl

Greetings from Guyana!
  17. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If they have table tennis a month will go by too fast. :lol3

:lurk
  18. Rockin Rollin

Rockin Rollin Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jay,
    Could you have departed in Dakar & if so why not? Just asking for interest?
    I like the idea of Rio to Dakar.
  19. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Back on teirra firma :beer Rolled off the ship and thru customs this morning, but they didn't know what to do with me, so they just let me thru, with no paperwork...?

Meeting up with local bikers from the NortTwin club, to mount a new tire, then heading to Paris.
  20. badguy

badguy Susan

Oddometer:
    Welcome back to dry land!

I finally finished reading through the American part of the trip and you've done an amazing job keeping things documented and sharing your experiences. THANK YOU! I look forward to reading more about your take on things.

Good luck, Jay! :ricky

-Mike