The big KTM 990 SMT thread -- riders check in w/ photo!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Guy Jinbaiquerre, Feb 23, 2010.

1. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    "Down a gear" is probably the correct gear.

The gearing seems tall to me as well. For example, I don't shift into 6th unless I'm over 65mph. Changing the front sprocket from 17t to 16t is a popular modification.

Based on what I've read, the stock fuel mapping is biased towards emissions compliance. The 16t supposedly makes this less of an issue and modified throttle tubes with a progressive action are popular.

I've largely gotten used to it but when the weather gets nicer, I'm going to visit my local tuner and and see what he can do.
  2. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Carry more corner speed then you wont have to worry about down shifting :)

In all seriousness I have never fund it to be weak..... I put a 16t sprocket on it and keep it between 6k-10k when I want to have some fun... I cant seem to keep the front wheel on the ground. :D

3. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. I just put a deposit for a 2012 SMT. Expected delivery is end of Feb early March. I cant wait!!!!
    For you SMT owners here is a link to a KTM forum site. It is full of useful information on the SMT. You might have already known about the site but I figured I post it anyways.
    http://www.ktmsmt.com/
  4. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, just put a deposit for a 2012 SMT. Expected delivery date is End of Feb early March. I cant wait!!!!
    Here is a link to a SMT forum board full of SMT information. You might already know of it but Ill post it anyways
    http://www.ktmsmt.com/
  5. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. CaptainFresca

CaptainFresca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I think you will like it. I got my 2011 in November and already have 2,500 miles on it. It's big fun!
  7. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats, I rode an SMT at a demo day once and found it to be a very nice bike. Is it really a 2012 or a 2011 leftover? I didn't think KTM was importing the SMT to the US for 2012?
  8. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I didn't think they were bringing 2012's to the US....
  9. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't think so either because it wasn't initially on the KTM USA website for 2012 but it appears to have been added back. I hope that's the case. For a little while there I was afraid they were going to completely give up on their street bike line in the US.
  10. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    Sweet, they did just add it to the website. Maybe people complained enough.
  11. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the muti posts. Not 100% positive I'm pretty sure it's a 2012. The dealer said the KTM rep told him it was and he did mention the 2012's are tuned a bit better, (smoother throttle) and the suspension is eaiser to tune. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.
  12. CaptainFresca

CaptainFresca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 2012's have a remote preload adjuster. That's the main change from the 2011's AFAIK. I hope they don't mess up the throttle. The instant throttle response is part of the fun ;)
  13. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinking about ordering a 2012 myself. Seems like a good value. The only other things out there like it are the Duc Multi, awesome but painfully pricey and the Triumph Tiger which has a shitty suspension. Also the GS but thats a different species in my eyes.

This type bike is the most fun. Light, sporty, tour-able, not overly complicated. I would like a gear indicator though.
  14. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in selling / trading with cash for a 2004 GSA with less than 25K miles? I am getting ready to post it for sale soon...
    [​IMG]
  15. lousgoose

lousgoose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Granted, it's no Goldwing but has anyone done much riding 2-up with their SMT? How has that gone? Anyone got any pics maybe too? I'm just trying to get an idea of the seating and how comfortable it might be for passenger and rider with 2 people aboard.
  16. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for mine. End of march. New for the 2012 smt are. Preload adjuster for the rear shock, saddle bags included, better tuned ECU and I think larger gas tank. 5 gallons. MSRP is $15,399.
  17. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    You mean it comes with this? http://www.ktm-parts.com/62004912000.html

2011 came with saddle bags. Looking forward to the new tune- hopefully it's retrofittable to the 10-11's.
  18. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    SMT tank has been 5 gallons at least since 2010. I think for the US, it's just the preload adjuster.

http://ashonbikes.com/content/2012-ktm-990-sm-t

I had to wait about 6 weeks for mine. Really wish it had shown up a week earlier so I could have taken it to Yellowstone. Hang in there!
  19. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    $15,399 -- really