VFR Thread, How many of us have 'em?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chad_NC, Feb 5, 2009.

1. PalePhase

PalePhase Humour Noir

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well we hijacked somebody's grudge match in the process, so let's just hope we don't get banished to JM's. :lol3
  2. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    I did think that the scheme you originally suggested was a bit too garish, but others were willing to defend your thoughts.
  3. DarkAngel_PT

DarkAngel_PT n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

This is my new to me 98 VFR (she was born in December 97)... a few pics:

[​IMG]

Another one:

[​IMG]

And another one (with her cousin in the background) :D:

[​IMG]

She is in very good condition, with only 26000km... Loving it!:clap
  4. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:

Very nice, looks good in black.
  5. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
    That bike is BadAss in black!
  6. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great way to spend a sunny Sunday!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. SailorJack

SailorJack I ride cheap bikes.

Oddometer:
    Savannah, TN (winter) & Crivitz, WI (summer)
    Gorgeous. I wonder how much work it would take to fit that bodywork on my '93 VFR750?
  8. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, jas67- at least for me, your pix don't come up, and since I'm not registered at the hosting site, I can't see them there either.

Of course, they appear to be pix of your 400.

I hate you.
  9. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing out that cross referencing the pics from VFRWorld doesn't work. I put them on flickr and changed the post. Hopefully you can see them now, so you can hate me more :D
  10. BikerDav

BikerDav Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I just placed a 6th Gen Factory Topbox for sale in the FM. PM me if interested.
  11. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can.

I do.
  12. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    click on picture

[​IMG]
  13. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
  14. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally got a chance to ride one of these, been wanting one for a few years but my wallet has been protesting. :lol3.

I get it now. That V4 is one of the more entertaining motors I've ridden, and it's coupled with a great chassis. I might have to put a few bikes on craigslist for a trade offer, see if I can come up with one. How old (cheap) can I go and get a similar feel as the 2003 I rode? I've been seeing that all years were pretty good, just pick one as long as it's priced accordingly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  15. Kennon

Kennon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Jas67 Hey Jas I have a NC30 aswell its a 1990 Type 4 currently putting her back together as I have two snapped exhaust studs in the front left cylinder once they're drilled out I can put her back together have a full system and a ART can with jets to suit should sound good and less like a sewing machine when I get her running have the original exhaust cleaned and in the garage to keep it safe.

heres a picture from a may
    [​IMG]

I also have a thread to show the slow progress I'm making it is mostly me rambling on what I want to get done and parts I have purchased.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870348
  16. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    I would go for a gen 4 or 5

Gen four (750) make about 85-90 hp, are a bit longer (1.5", IIRC) in the wheelbase which makes them roomier and better for touring (IMO), not that they are slouches as a sport bike. Price range: $2-3.5k

Gen Five are sportier, have FI and are more powerful. Price range $2.5-4.5k
  17. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool deal, thanks. Checked out a few craigslist ads, they seem like an excellent value in a sport touring bike. Have to see if something sells first though, cant have any more bikes at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  18. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    Have owned 1996 (Gen 4) and 2000 (gen 5) and both were terrific in their way. The 2000 felt a little sharper/more eager, but the 1996 was if anything even better as an all-day ride. There are some incredible deals out there on the 4th Gen bikes especially. I bought my 1996 a couple years ago in *perfect* condition with I think 11K miles on it for $2,400. When I had to sell it last year due to a cross-country move (still in perfect showroom condition, 18K miles) I could only get the same $2,400 for it. The guy who bought it knew exactly what it was and knew he was getting a steal. It's hard to imagine more bike for the money. The 5th gens would fetch more. This was in Ohio btw, so those prices should be relevant for you.
  19. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    One major caveat regarding the older gens (4 and earlier) if you think you'll be putting on lots of miles.
    Parts are getting harder to come by. New water pumps are no longer available, and if you get one off ebay that's been sitting on a wrecker's shelf for a year or more, the seals could be dried out and no longer functioning.
    If you have a second bike, longer down time due to parts sourcing isn't as much of a concern.
    I hope (knock on wood) to put my 96 into semi-retirement after this season, because with almost 200k on it, I'll no longer want to do any long trips on it. A carburetor diaphragm tore on me during my latest trip. Not a stopper, but it put a halt to any really spirited riding, especially at altitude.
  20. RiverRatRider13

RiverRatRider13 Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer:
    Well Last winter I sold my beloved 99 Speed triple, to "take a break" from street riding after a rather bad accident in the family. I really couldn't take not riding on the street after a few months. I still frequently dirtbike. So about a month ago I started searching for a cheap street bike for light camping and fly fishing taxi service. I think in the past month I have looked at about 12 bikes, from a 95cbr600 to 80s seca to goldwing cafe. Nothing was really tickling my fancy. VFRs were a daily search keyword for me. Love the V4! My little brother had a 91 for a few years and loved it. Anyways I stumbled upon a 94vfr that was fairly cheap. The thing that really caught my attention was it had RC45 body work. The tail is def RC45 but after more research I believe the front end is from a vfr400 since it does not have the chevron intakes. Well I made an offer on the bike and the guy took it a week later. No passengers for me! I love the smooth power and the sound of the gear driven cams!!! My only gripe is the stock exhaust, Since I remember the roar of my brothers with a yoshi pipe on it. Pipes seem pretty few and far in between for sure, and Im not sure i want to butcher the stock one yet, any one have an old slip on lying around I can throw on? I am kind of in the works of planning a northwest fly fishing trip on it which might last a few weeks. Would really like to do the R1 RR mod for sure.

Anyways I only have one pic so far, more to come.

[​IMG]