2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Oldbutslow

Oldbutslow Log Cabin Poet

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine this bike not selling. Triumph is selling scads of those underpowered, over-styled twins. This bike is tight. Make mine the red one with a silver engine...! ,BK
  2. Maytag Repairman

Maytag Repairman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was asking myself that 2 years ago.

Pre-production? It's been in production for 2 years. Print the warning labels in English, put on a MPH odometer, and call it good.

Damn you Honda if you hadn't already sold me an NC700X when I had the cash in hand to buy this last year.
  3. SailorJack

SailorJack I ride cheap bikes.

Oddometer:
    Savannah, TN (winter) & Crivitz, WI (summer)
    Yep! That'll be the first bike I every buy new. My wife doesn't have to worry about me dropping the money for it cause Honda will never build it and if they somehow do, it'll never come to the US.
  4. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'll sell if the price is right. Under $9.5k would work, any more and it'll gather dust on the show room floor.

Regards, Paul
  5. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    I think I'll stick with my 919.
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    $9,999.00? Symbolically under 10 grand...
  7. elementalg20

elementalg20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like this bike, it looks great and I like the classic looks a great deal. That said, it doesn't excite me enough to drop 10k on it, I'd be a bottom feeder hoping to pick up a 3-4yr old used one dirt cheap:D.

Given the specs, it'd have to be one of those bikes that just worked fantastically well to sell in any viable quantity at all. Being a Honda it very well have what it takes though.
  8. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    They've been selling them in Australia since they were released in Japan and they haven't sold very well, despite the huge market for 'retro' stuff here. You can hardly spit without hitting a Bonneville or Sportster and the Kawsaki W800 has sold in hundreds. (I own a W800 - brilliant bike - and an 07 XL Sportster myself.) The 1100 is around $AUS14K on the road - about the same as the entry-level Sportster, $1K more than the base model Bonneville and about $2K more than a W800.

Having owned about half a dozen CB750s over the years I was very interested in the 1100 until I chucked a leg over one. It is pretty enough in its way, but up close it is physically small, the seat is nasty, the riding position for both rider and pillion is nothing like a CB750, being more like a Suzuki Bandit, and the tank only holds about 3.5 US gallons. The single exhaust doesn't do much for its looks on the left side either. I'm a big fan of old bikes having started riding in the 60's, but this one just hasn't done anything for me at all, mainly because the ergos are standard modern stuff; not a good pillion bike. A mate had one and was very disappointed with it - the motor was OK but the rest of it - ergos, handling, fuel range, general build quality etc - was a big letdown. He has done ground up rebuilds on several K1 and K2 CB750s and owns a good selection of 'classic' Honda 4s in various models so he has had enough experience with the originals.

If you want to see some more pics, here's a link for the model on an Australian bike sales site.

CB1100F
  9. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

Do you really think it is that simple?

Hell, they can just throw a few in a box, put it on a boat, and see what happens. That might be OK for a small manufacturer, do you think that is a workable solution for the goliath Honda?
  10. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fireblade/CBR is the same bike but with US appointments. That seems to work.
  11. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I am surprised to see this rumor showing up again this year. I will be shocked if it comes to the States. I was foaming at the mouth for one of these when they first came out, but I no longer have any interest in it at all. Sorry Honda, but if you wanted to sell one to me, that boat has left the dock.
  12. bikefreak47

bikefreak47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll stick with my '83 CB1100f "Hot Rod" purchased off this site. And my 69,000+ mile '94 CB1000f...
  13. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was over a 18 months ago that I saw one.
  14. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe they're taking another look at how many retro standards are selling in our market and figure it's worth their time now?
  15. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    super sport looks good
    [​IMG]
  16. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing it in Cycle World in a "look what we aren't going to get" article, and thought it was a great idea.
    The all-blackout model doesn't do it for me at all - much prefer red with a silver engine and wheels with CHROME fenders!

[​IMG]

That 4-into-1 collector like the old CB400F is great.

Even the white/gray model is cool.

But I have an aircooled 23 year old FJ1200 that would kick it's ass, so it's doubtful I'd buy one - prices at the Honda store are getting up there - the CBR600 is $11,700, if that's any indication of what it would sell for.

[​IMG]
  17. Nightstrom

Nightstrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As long as the ergos (like footpegs) are decent and its large enough, I'd definitely be into buying it. I sat on the Triumph Bonneville SE and it felt like a moped. Pretty small for me. Bikes have gotten too far off pace for the regular guy, IMO. The sportbikes of the 80's, that I grew up with were still a blast, and much more comfortable. Everything just kept getting more extreme. Even the nakeds. We ended up at the age of uncomfortable motorcycles. It left you with slim choices, aside from cruisers and not everyone want one of those. I think people are looking for fun, comfortable motorcycles again. You are seeing it in Adventure touring, and maybe your classic motorcycles again, with modern goodies. I have a 2011 V strom 650. I changed the ergos (lower Corbin Modular seat, lowered footpeg brackets, 1" risers, etc, and it now has a very comfortable, and classic riding ergos. I hope motorcycles head this way again.
  18. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A day late and a dollar short.

I just got myself a Triumph Thunderbird Sport. That means... no matter how much I really like the looks of this bike, I won't be getting one.

They should have put them for sale here in the US when they first showed them a few years ago. I may have bought one.
  19. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    If you can't find a comfortable, fun, modern motorcycle, you're doing something wrong. The biggest complaints these days seems to be with seats.

Comfortable bikes haven't gone anywhere, they just don't look like a CB750 anymore, and there's no shortage of people that will bitch, piss, moan, and complain about that fact.
  20. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Those make awesome noises. Nice bikes, except when it comes time to change the air filter.