Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh don't pay too much attention to MCN saying that in an overall good article. I see what theyre trying to say and agree with it. BMW has blazed a trail and, sure, copies are obvious. No, other than for purpose, the Stelvio is not a copy of the GS. lol On the other hand, there are some similar design features. Look at the seat set-up and design etc.

Generally speaking, MCN is the best motorcycle magazine out there, in my opinion. They get more things correct than wrong.

They kinda botched up their original review of the NTX and said a few things that are not applicable. Their man, David Searle, said the hot air from the left cylinder burned blisters on his leg. lol I've written about the noticable heat from the cyilnder but it's not enough to burn blisters. Good lord. I talked to david about it and he kinda sorta backtracked a little.
    He actually really liked the Stelvio.

Most of these magazines have not really taken the Stelvio on dirt very much and they automatically assume it's not good at it. They also have assumed that it is waay heavier than the BMW Adventure. I disproved that by a weigh-in (posted elsewhere).

Anyway, lord bless them. At least they're writing about the Stelvio and, generally, the assessment is not negative.
  2. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Easy to install, yes. I was missing some M6 washers in my kit but had some lying around.
  3. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think that you could easily carry a passenger with these bags, but there are also smaller versions. These are the largest bags that Caribou offers (40L).
    davyjones likes this.
  4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy Old Git.

Oddometer:
    This Glen Kerr fellow, is he the one that they cal Wang?

:fishie
  5. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Evidently I'm a slow learner so one of you folks can probably help. I'm taking the fuel tank off. All is going well until it comes to the 'quick disconnect' for the fuel line. This is very similar to what I had on my Norge but it is even more reluctant to disconnect than the one on the Norge. I push in on the fuel line, it moves in about 1/8", I pinch the black outer ring, I try to pull the assembly off....nothing moves. What am I doing wrong?

It's going to hit 60F today but snow tomorrow so this is the day to mess around in the garage with the bike. Damn, I sure don't want to spend the entire afternoon fighting with this darn fitting! Arrrrgh!!

Peter Y.
  6. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    GOT IT OFF! I saw the locking tabs and used a very small pick to pick them open...not the way it's supposed to happen but it worked. Oh, found one of my throttle cables showing some wear against one of the motor mount bolts.
  7. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    With the tank off it's time to check those engine mount bolts. If I read the specs correctly they call for 80NM on those bolts. That seems like an awful lot. Mine were probably at about 40NM or less. They were not on the verge of falling out but certainly not at 80. Am I missing something here?

Peter Y.
  8. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know I've posted on this before - but many pages back...

One of my upper bolts was laying on the wiring harness, the other 3 not more then finger tight

Much smoother since re-torqued (with blue locktite)
  9. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    That's exactly why I was checking mine. What torque figure did you use?

Peter Y.
  10. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:

Because of the blue loctite I went a bit less then book value - but it was a while ago and I'm not sure of the exact value
  11. MadMike20

MadMike20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK...I get it...article was about design and MCN is good rag. Whatever. Been a subscriber since mid nineties. Issue I have, is that when The Stelvio first came out, Glynn Kerr dedicated the better part of an article on how ugly it was. Piaggio had barely released the photos of the up coming bike at the time and before the thing even lands Stateside he baptizes the thing as a big mistake.
    A representative from Piaggio even wrote a letter to the editor stating that the article was off base. Kerr's response was that he is a big Guzzi fan with no bias, the bikes ugly...suck it up.
    Fast forward a handful of years and now the original ugly design is a copy. Article makes no mention of NTX...just "Stelvio". So which is it Kerr? Ugly Original or Awesome Copy....depends on the monthly issue I guess.

just me thinks
  12. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, I didnt know you were struggling with the fuek tank. You shoulda said something the other day. Ive had mine off 3 times already. That quick-connect always just pops right apart after you press the retainer thing inward.

Now you guys got me thinking I should check the damn engine bolts. I dont wanna pull all that stuff off again !
  13. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Any of you fellow Stelvio types going to the National in Ontario?
  14. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I went out for a ride today. :ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  15. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    :cry

Those look so fine.

:cry
  16. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    Doesn't appear that traffic was a problem.:D
  17. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My registration is already sent in. I'm expecting to tent camp in the close-by campground. Probably arrive the day before the actual Rally begins, want to get some of the Rally Special beer before it is all gone. :1drink
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Id like to go but that is so far off, I cant yet commit. Possibility
  19. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat; it's just too far for me.
  20. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer:
    Where is it this year? Ontario Canada?