SoMD Adventure riders do James Bay/Trans Taiga (planning phase)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by blaster11, Feb 2, 2013.

1. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    <table id="post17422528" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-top: 0px; border-bottom: 0px" width="175">
    </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_17422528" style="border-right: 1px solid #575757">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

I did the James Bay road in early September solo. Good trip but the worst weather I've ever traveled in and I ride alot. Cold, wind and rain and more rain
    more here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743396

Sounds like he had a good time:d
  3. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Well, I sort of neglected this thread with all the spring-has-sprung festivities! Nonetheless, preparations quietly continue in the background. I've got new chain and sprockets on order, new set of brake pads already here, and enough supplies for the next 3 oil changes :D

My OCD/paranoia is just about silenced. I have my "FEDEX" emergency fly box completed. That box would be the new stator, instructions for install, the specialized tools and new gasket packed. I'll leave it with the house sitter to mail overnight.

PS Love the Giant Nickel!
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how detailed you guys got with your fuel planning, but I made an Excel file to plan for how much I'll need. The mileages on the upper left corner don't mean too much, as they were just for me to approximate the time needed for the trip. Camp spots were just arbitrarily chosen mileages. The distances between gas stops are approximated, but within 5-10 miles of actual distance. My route is going to be Northeast PA to Matagami up James Bay Rd to Radisson to James Bay to Radisson To Trans Taiga Rd to James Bay Rd to North Rd to Chibougamau to Northeast PA... Just to give you an idea of how I figured mileages and whatnot. Hope this can be of use to yas.

[​IMG]
  5. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I would be all over that, but they won't work with the Jesse cases. Come to think about it, the Jesses currently don't even work with the OEM case tank :huh
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Nice document! Thanks for sharing. Alas, we are coming from the East via dirt , so probably only have a little bit of overlap between the two itineraries.
  8. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Phase 1 farkling is complete - installed the Pivot Pegz this PM.
    Next step new fork springs.
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Sweet dealio! I started stock piling consumables chain, sprockets..
  10. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Well, my trip this year has just been cancelled on account of breaking my leg today. Make sure that you guys write one hell of a ride report so that I can live vicariously through you! Looks like this trip will have to wait until next year for me. :(
  11. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Max--Really sorry to hear the news. Having been with Blaster through REV1 of the Face Plant: Foot dislocation (Lisfranc Displacement) , I know the disappointment when your riding plans are unexpectedly shelved.

No worries, bones heal as good as new. It might seem like eternality, you are off the pegs--but remember it's only a wrinkle in time.

Good Luck!
  12. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Ouch! That looks worse than mine. Mine was a clean break of the fibula. I go to ortho tomorrow, but most likely I won't need surgery, at least that's what the orthopoedic surgeon at the ER told me.

[​IMG]

There's a very small chance that I'll be able to reschedule the trip this August... But most likely it'll have to wait til next year. Anyhow, I don't want to get your guys' thread too far off topic.

Are you guys going to be writing a ride report? If so, make sure to post the link in this thread so that I don't miss it!
  13. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Heal fast!

We will definitely be doing a ride report...stay tuned.
  14. Cosmic_Jumper

Cosmic_Jumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Republic of Dreams , Bureau of Dubious Reality
    Dunno if someone may have mentioned this before, but do brush up on your French because the Quebecois will resolutely refuse to speak or reply to your English.

On the other hand the indigenous Cree folks up that way speak the Queen's English quite perfectly.
  15. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Nein, but our charade skills are second to none. :D When we went through Quebec two summers ago to Translab, the folks were surpringly helpful. We managed to find food, shelter and petrol. Life was good.

Funny story. I was paying for gas and a lady approached me. She began a conversation in French, which I couldn't respond to her. Her english was actaully quite good, and her hand gestures even better.

Basically, by way of extending her arms out to full extension, she had taken note of how wide-as*ed Blaster's BMW was.

Priceless!
  16. Cosmic_Jumper

Cosmic_Jumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Republic of Dreams , Bureau of Dubious Reality
    When in doubt speak loudly and wave money
  17. Shomani

Shomani Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Quebec and although you might fall upon some PITA rednecks, I don't think the majority of people will give you any trouble. It' s the same everywhere ... it just takes a few A-holes to leave a bad impression on someone.

Keep an open mind and try to use the basics: ''Bonjour''(hello), ''Merci''(thank-you) and ''À bien tôt''(see you soon).
  18. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    been 6 weeks since we posted anything here so I'll add some drivel.
    Farkles to be added this week - Wunderlich adjustable shift lever and Hyperpro progressive front fork springs.
  19. drmacaulay

drmacaulay letsrun.com

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I, perhaps his son too, are leaving North Bay on Monday July 15th to head up to Radisson. We are taking it fairly leisurely. Some camping, some hotels. Really looking forward to it. No real plan/budget or anything - except to have a safe trip...

Can anyone speak/write about the mosquitoes? Are they going to be absolutely horrendous?

My other question for those who have done it = Is it worthwhile to bring a fishing rod and some lures/spinners?

That website resource www.jamesbayroad.com has been incredibly helpful.

Thanks,
  20. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I did that trip end of July 2008. Once we got north of Radisson, the skeeters were bad. Until then, we didn't notice them.