Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the right, kind of looks like Hector
  2. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not Hector. Although Hector Sr. was there. Hector, Miguel, and myself rode out there from DGO city and happened to run into the ATV guys there, along with Jorge, who just bought the DRZ. Jorge is on the right path, by ditching the ATV and going with two wheels, but all his buddies still ride ATVs, so the transition will be a little harder.:lol3
  3. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Someone just put up some photos of the Macaws. They are very neat to see. They make a lot of racket. Squawking loud all day long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A nicer photo the waterfall.

[​IMG]
    Rainy season!
  4. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful; can't wait to get back down there.
  5. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Really sweet. What is that wet stuff called again? Oh, yeah. Water. We don't have any in our creeks and damn little in our rivers and lakes.

Talked to thelawnguy81 and its looking like late November for the nephews' and their old uncle's next week in Mexico. That should be good weather wise, right?

Probably same general area for us as last year, just maybe moving the box a little north to get in the mountains earlier. Saltillo forming northern boundary and a bit south of Jalpan the southern. But whatever they pick is what we'll do. They don't need me as much as I need them. lol

I have toyed with getting a different bike or taking my KLR but I will just leave the metal bags at home and pack half as much shit on the GS Adventure. If I can't ride it on that I probably shouldn't be riding it.

Expect my annual onslaught of pm's to begin soon asking for advice. ;)
  6. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    SR, great pics, !:clap
    Nice waterfall.

In all fairness to Trice, I've heard he has great taste in wine.:freaky
    Let's all get together and introduce to him to the marvels, wonders, and mystique of the cornerstone of Mexican wines...Padre Kino!:deal

But maybe he's not ready, yet.:evil The Padre Kino and cheese tasting experience could be a nice little fiesta at the Seal Club. I'll have to run it by the owner and GM. I've been demoted to "not allowed to touch the single malts, again, until further notice".:1drink
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Hector Sr is throwing tons more photos up on Facebook of that waterfall - and a team rappeling down to the pool.
  8. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Don't ride your motorbike to Cincinnati, they shoot first, ask questions later.
    Its not safe.

Ohio police say store clerk kills man in helmet

Published: <time datetime="2013-08-05T14:54:42-04:00">August 5, 2013 2:54PM</time>
    CINCINNATI (AP) -- Police in Cincinnati are trying to determine what happened in the moments before a fatal shot was fired by a store clerk who said he believed he was being robbed by a man wearing a motorcycle helmet.
    The Cincinnati Enquirer reports (http://cin.ci/184HI3k) that police don't believe Omar Magdy Abouelalla had a weapon. The 22-year-old man rode his motorcycle to the supermarket and was wearing his helmet when he went inside.
    The LM&N Unlimited Supermarket clerk called 911 at 8:46 p.m. Sunday to report that he shot a man inside the store, police said. Abouelalla was dead at the scene, police said. The Hamilton County coroner said he died of a single gunshot wound to the chest, but didn't immediately release any other information.
    Police interviewed the clerk and reviewed store surveillance video Monday. The 32-year-old clerk's name wasn't immediately released.
    "We are not sure of the facts yet," police Lt. Michael Savard said.
    The Hamilton County coroner said Monday that Aboudelalla died of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
    Police said they were keeping in communication with the Hamilton County prosecutor's office as they continued their investigation into the shooting, in the Pleasant Ridge neighborhood in the city's northeast.
    "We just have to get as much information as possible before making a decision," Prosecutor Joe Deters said. He said a decision on any charges in the case will probably come by the end of this week.
    A black tarp covered the store's entrance Monday and a note said it was closed for the day.

http://www.crescent-news.com/ap state/2013/08/05/ohio-police-say-store-clerk-kills-man-in-helmet
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Padre Kino wine is the perfect wine when you need a decent looking glass carafe for water, ice tea or lemonade. They are also great for storing chiltipins or marbles. The wine pours easily down the drain, does not stain your sink and won't hurt the pipes. I believe it is OK in most public and private sewer systems as long as the quantities are not too great. Any residual wine washes easily out of the carafe and a bit of baking soda removes any lingering remnants. I highly recommend it. :freaky
  10. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    More fuel for the anti-helmet people
  11. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is scary? I lived in Cinci for ~8 years and never got shot at. Now I have a flip-front helmet and leave it on a lot when I shop. But I don't live in Cinci anymore either.

I'll pay close attention next time I'm there in search of Skyline Chili. :D

(On the Mexico thoughts: Just bought a DRZ400E and adding appropriate farkles for ADV. I'll be back in Mexico and points south soon enuff.)
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    If you want a wild ride, you should get prepared to ride that thing in the Sierra Madre next June from Durango to Mazatlán off road.
  13. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope to see you down here. This place would be a very nice day ride from DGO city. A big DS bike could easily do it. It's about 150 km SW of town, on about half paved and half gravel roads.

But yesterday we took Miguel's "alternative route" there. Miguel programs his routes in Google Earth and always looks for the most challenging route he can find from point A'-B'. He has an utter contempt for flat, smooth, well marked, commonly traveled roads. If it appears on a map, he will avoid it. So we ended up on a maze of logging roads that looked like they hadn't been used in half a century. We even got some nice single track!

[​IMG]
    This place was probably logged back in the 1950s

[​IMG]
    Miguel getting a running start "con vuelo"
  14. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good choice! I had a DRZ-400E in Mexico for about 3.5 years until I sold it a few weeks ago (shown in post 17497 and starring in Tricepilots latest RR). It was very reliable and fun to ride. For off-road riding there was no compromise at all. It could go anywhere and keep up with any bike out there. Mine was geared up a little and could jump on the highway and keep up with traffic all day long. Not just keep up, it passed everything in sight on curvy mountain roads. No rear sub-frame = big backpack.
  15. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks SOG. After 3 years of below average rain and even drought, Northern Mexico is getting pounded with rain this year. Last year there was no bean crop in a lot of places because of drought. Now this year they cant sew the fields because they are too wet!

Thanks MM.

Well, Tricepilot is kind of a Whiner!:rofl. Just teasing!!:freaky

Photo
    [​IMG]
    look at where that deck is in the photo in 17500. That's a long way down!
  16. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    It surprising to me how much the landscape there is like the landscape here around the SC/NC mountains.Looks like a good adventure to me.Nothing better than a bunch of guys riding the backwoods and draggin bikes over stumps and logs.If we have to listen out for banjos here,what do ya'll have to listen out for there? :lol3
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I added a sight line I imagined after looking at this photo and thinking about one of the opening scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark

Scroll forward to the 2:00 mark:

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dJ920fat50M" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  18. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know it, TC!
    I would just add "parts cleaner/degreaser" to the list.
    They are going to market a new brand.
    Se llama "El Matawinesnob":deal
  19. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
  20. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    See? TurkeyC and I are on the vanguard of style, fashion, gastronomy (well, at least I've got the gas part covered and he has the "tronomy"), and drink.

It isn't easy being on leading edge.
    Rumour has it, A couple of carafes of old Padre Kino can even result in a cure for infertile couples! Though some Sauza or mescal will usually work slightly faster when used well outside the normal envelope of moderation. Also, I would not even think about rappelling down SR's waterfall without a gutful of either.:eek1