Burgman 650 Updated for 2013

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cbolling, Oct 8, 2012.

1. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
  2. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's got a wart on its butt.
  3. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see they updated the electronic transmission. As the original transmission had a propensity for disassembling itself as early as 30K miles and then cost a bundle to fix, I will be interested in seeing if the updates actually improve the transmission's reliability and make it good for at least 100K. If so, I might be interested, but I'm going to let others be the guinea pigs...
  4. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't complain about the Burgman 650's suspension.

Its non-existant.
  5. elamofo

elamofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think someone in Germany is smiling this morning.

Wonder what it will cost.
  6. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    What is the mpg claimed to be?

The Honda NX700 gets 70+/- mpg. That's more appealing to me than a super scooter, but I understand the Burgman has a cult following. They seem a bit too pricey $$ to me.
  7. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nWVfeP5zTeI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1t-vrsEPLRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Likely less than a BMW C 650 GT which has a less advanced transmission.
  9. vortexau

Oddometer:
    More to the new bodywork than just appearances. The rear end's been slimmed down some which should improve things for the legs of pillion passengers. Additionally, panniers may not make the 2013 models as wide as pannier-equipped models have up to this point.

Looks like versions will be available without the new-style backrest:

[​IMG]

. . . . and that there may well be a factory topbox available:

[​IMG]

Amazing how many folk just have so much negative thought to contribute. Have we really replaced 35mm emulsion stuff with digital imaging?
  10. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I applaud the return of proper analogue gauges, I am so tired of bike cockpits aspiring to imitate the look of cheap boom boxes from the 80s.
  11. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    So far I like it.:lol3
  12. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fail to see any reason why anyone would prefer something like this to, say, a Goldwing. I was considering a maxi scooter because my 1500 Goldwing is hard for me to get on and off of, and make parking lot maneuvers with. I tried the Burgman 650, and it was even harder to deal with than the huge 'Wing. The GW has a very low COG, and is well balanced. You can get both feet on the ground. The Burgman felt very heavy and awkward by comparison. I did find the Helix to be a decent ride, but lacking the power to travel cross country at freeway speeds. Stuffing a 400cc engine in it would solve that problem.
  13. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    "The 80s".
    Seems like yesterday.
  14. vortexau

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Lucky for you there is a 400cc Burgman (with ABS) available.

28 in. (710 mm) Seat Height

Curb: 489 lbs. (222 kg)

2013 Burgman 400 ABS
  15. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately even the Burg 400 is way bigger and heavier than the Helix. It sure looks like there is room for a 400cc engine in a Helix, especially if you got rid of some of the storage.

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, which I bought new and have put over 70,000 miles on, which feels like a paperweight compared to the Burg 650. Why do maxi scooters have to be so big compared to the size of their engines? The 650cc S40 is a tiny little bike. So is a 1200 Sportster, considering the displacement of it's engine.
  16. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    Thats why I got the 400. The 400 doesn't excel at anything, but does everything well. Does that make sense ?
    In a world of single purpose bikes, this concept is incomprehensible to a lot of people.
  17. MotoRandy123

MotoRandy123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like it was getting 50 MPG (my car gets 40!) but 15% should give it 57 not bad. I was just at the dealer yesterday and
    was amazed it costs $10000 OTD!

The big problem with scooters is only the tiny ones get good mileage and everyone wants to go on the highway (and have a big
    windshield) so you end up with a heavy slow rig that costs too much compared with a "real" motorcycle....
  18. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the winter in Florida I ride with a bunch of old guys like me that have the Burgerking 650 and they just love them. A lot of them came off Goldwings and other big bikes. Only problem that they seem to have is keeping rear tires on them.:rofl
    And they are not slow unless you are comparing them to a sport bike.
  19. Mrnoital

Mrnoital Banned

Oddometer:
    The Burgman 400 produces over twice the HP and is much more competent if you want to do any highway/long distant riding. More powerful bikes need to be built to bigger dimensions in order to handle the increase in engine mass and power.
    You'll never get a powerful bike that weighs and handles like a Helix of which I own two. I love the helix but it's not a good all rounder even though I use it for almost everything. It stinks on the highway, It's not that stable to begin with, add a little wind into the equation and forget about it. I avoid the highway whenever it's windy. The Swing 600 scooter I owned was better on the highway but felt like a pig around town. The 400 Burgman I rode for a very short trip seemed like it would be about perfect as an all around two wheeled vehicle.
    The Morphous 250 I owned was extremely stable and rode like a Cadillac, much better on the highway compared to the Helix but not enough engine for the weight of the bike.
  20. Mrnoital

Mrnoital Banned

Oddometer:
    You make the mistake of implying that positive comments are some how more credible than negative ones.