Aerostich Utility Pants

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Buck760, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Buck760

Buck760 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. sierraoffroad

sierraoffroad Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice looking pants. i wonder if they have the full side length leg zippers like the ad1 pants? if i'm going to replace my riding pants i'm definately looking at aerostitch. i have 2 pairs of the older tourmaster pants that have full leg zippers that also have the schoeller stitching for added strength. they are waterproof, but getting a little worn and tired.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the link that Buck760 provided:
    The new Utility Pants fit like the AD1's, and have all the function, protection and styling of those, but without the full-length side-zips, belt, or reflective on the leg adjustment tabs. ​
  4. Burninator

Burninator Zed's dead

Oddometer:
    What I can't figure out is why the sizing on Aerostich stuff is so far off. I'm 5'11", and wear a 32x33 for pants. Not exactly a freak of nature. I contacted Aerostich about the Utility pants and a one piece Roadcrafter. The response was that I would need custom sizing for both pieces. I'm willing to put up with the frumpy looks and high price for quality american made stuff, but I just don't think their stuff will fit me. Most companies that make long sizes have a 33-34" inseam on a size 32" waist pants.
  5. Burninator

Burninator Zed's dead

Oddometer:
    On the plus side, I just saw that the new Utility pants are made in Duluth, and of 500 d Cordura, vs the AD1 which is 600 d nylon and imported. Additionally, the pants have a double layer of cordura in the seat and knees. I may bight the bullet and order a pair for trial fit so that I can get a custom length made.
  6. 2low2go

2low2go Banned

Oddometer:
    Please post a review with pics.
  7. Buck760

Buck760 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As they don't have the outside leg full-length zippers, I wonder if you can just get the hem trimmed at a local seamstress?
  8. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Everyone seems to like the 'stich stuff. What I'm wondering is it seems none of them have zipped vents so what do you do when they get too warm?
  9. Burninator

Burninator Zed's dead

Oddometer:
    2low2go, I'd post a review, but I don't own these pants. I'm still undecided on ordering them. As far as hemming a pair, I have the opposite problem. Aerostich stuff has too short of an inseam for me.
  10. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $247 for Gore-Tex pants? That's a good price for those.
  11. TebKLR

TebKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Funny, I wear the same (street) size as you. Bought a pair of Darien Lites in 34 L, and they work brilliantly (the Dariens ARE cut a bit slim in the hips)
  12. Burninator

Burninator Zed's dead

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be using the Utility pants as an over pant, as they don't have any side zippers. I've tried a size 32 long transit pants and the waist measured 34" but the inseam was more like a 32". When I say I'm a 32-33, that is my actual measurement, not jean size.
  13. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I own a pair of AD-1 Lights. Bought them when they first came out. I ordered them around January and they were shipped in March. They are made in the US (the regular AD-1 is imported).

They have become my go to pants. Wore them on my trip to Alaska this past June. Temps varied from 40 to 105 on the trip and I had days where it rained ALL DAY (10-12 hours of riding in the rain). They were extremely comfortable regardless of temperature and never leaked. My 4 year old Darien pants have never leaked either but in temps above 85 they get uncomfortable.

The AD-1s fit a little lower around the waist than the Dariens and the legs are a little trimmer and have a "bend" at the knees. The Darien pants are straight cut and a little baggier.

Now if I could just get the Dalton mud off my pant legs :D

Man, I miss Alaska.:cry:cry

[​IMG]
    davyjones and dirtdoug like this.
  14. Burninator

Burninator Zed's dead

Oddometer:
    What is it about the AD1 pants that made them more tolerable in heat? Is there any way to get some ventilation with the AD1's?
  15. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No vents, just a lighter fabric. The legs have two way zippers so I assume you could leave the zipper open near the top a little to get some air in. The lighther fabric also moves a little in the wind so it doesn't stick to your leg and sweat.

You do give up some abrasion resistance when you move to the lighter fabric.

I remember an inmate who was trying to install some waterproof zippers/thigh vents on a pair of Darien pants. I will have to search for his posts.
  16. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My original Darien pants have a distinct bend at the knee. (I'd say regular Dariens, but they are 32 long which is 32x32.)

[​IMG]

I'd also say the the Dariens are fine up to 90F but my main solutions to heat are: 1) move to Maine, 2) ride north from there. In the past in the summer in the midwest, I have tried to vent some with the side zip. I didn't get it to work well.
  17. Buck760

Buck760 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aerostich has a road show in SD this week, and they had the Utility pants on the rack. They seemed much lighter than regular Darien's (probably due to lack of leg zippers), and, as stated, the fit has a lower waist, much like jeans. I liked them. I have owned Darien's and a two-piece Roadcrafter in the past, and didn't care for the full-length leg zippers when on the bike.
  18. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you anyone buys a pair please post-up some good pictures. I am thinking about buying a pair for summer commuting. I have a pair of Darien pants I have worn for a couple years and they have been awesome. They never once wet through in 3 weeks 500 mile per day rain. However, they are starting to show the results of being ridden hard and have relegated to off-road gear.

As was said on the preceding page, the sizing is goofy. My 36L fits like I am wearing a pair of my wife's capri pants and I only have a 33 inseam. They should be at least 2-3 inches longer in the leg. Most brands in this size are a 34-35 length which is perfect with your knees bent sitting on the bike. My Dad is about the same height and purchased a pair of 36R and the "flood" effect is that much worse.
    davyjones likes this.
  19. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Those are made in Vietnam and are sized a little differently than the other offerings by Aerostich.

Why not just order a set and see how it fits, if it doesn't you could always send it back.

A friend of mine is your size...with a 46" chest. He's like Mr. Incredible. anyway, a pair of Darien lights in size 32L fit him. He might have been able to get away with a 30L, he got his used.
  20. Buck760

Buck760 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could be mistaken, but it looks to me (RWH web site) like the Utility pants are made in Duluth, and the AD1's are made offshore. May be easier to customize?