The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be the best solution but if you can't find one that works you can also add some resitors with the standard relay, they're on ebay pretty cheap. I had to do that, I bought a couple of relays that were supposed to work with LEDs but didn't.
  2. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just installed LED indicators (clear lense) and they make a huge cosmetic improvement as well, really updating the bike's looks. The stock ones look like giant dirty lolly pops.

If your careful to buy an electronic relay then you'll have no problems. Modding the dash is easy too. Just a couple of cheap diodes (few cents each) and your away. There is a step by step "How to" - with photos out there somewhere. I found it straight forward enough and I'm certainly no expert.
  3. LoJack

LoJack Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put an LED tail light on my bike this spring and it blows. Any ideas what a decent one would be?
  4. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Name and shame please. Which one have you used? Looking to do the same
  5. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i meant to mention that after the East Great Dane M&G. It looked like a pink decal while you were riding, then like a dim red light when braking...
  6. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks, I put a cheap ass one on and it's pretty good, guess I got lucky.
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I bought one on ebay Germany that is identical to the Touratech branded tail light but less than half the price. Works great.
  8. Barnman

Barnman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody know what the plug details are for the side stand switch? (The plug/socket where the switch joins the loom)

I want to buy a new plug and wire it so that the side stand switch is linked out, then swap this for the side stand switch. Then I can remove the side stand switch. I don't want to butcher the original, in case I want to revert back to standard at a later date.

thanks
  9. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Has anyone else had a leak near the top left radiator mount?? Ive got coolant around and below it, only thing I can think of is that the radiator is cracking around that mount.

Radiator and overflow tank are both still full, and the overtemp light has never come on, Im just a little concerned about it. Im going to go get some stop leak and dump it in, try that first. i really hope I dont need a new radiator.

If any of you had a similar issue, what was your fix??

Ive got the HUBB Cambria meeting/my yearly vacation coming up in a few weeks, shitting myself because thisll throw a major wrench in the works.

Anyone have/know of a good used radiator for sale?? My bikes an 01 Dakar.

ANy help is appreciated. Thanks.
  11. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine had the fan shroud rub a hole in the back of the radiator. That's around the same area. Pull it off and check.

12. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This leak is on the other side, at the mount above the fill neck.

I put some of that stop leak stuff in it, and it SEEMS to have stopped it. Im thinking that the crack is probably under the mounting tab itself, where its welded to the rad core.

Tomorrow mornings commute will tell the tale.
  13. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I mounted up a new Heideneau K60 Scout on the rear of the Dakar. This is the second one (both 140/80-18) in a row for me on the 18" Excel rear wheel I had laced up by Woody's Wheel Works in February. The first one went just over 6,200 miles and still had about 2 mm of the original 11 mm or tread in the center. I probably could've gotten another few hundred out of it on the street, but it was toast for anything off pavement. I was surprised a little that the mileage was as good as it was considering I've run it at 20-24 psi for its entire life.

New meat:
    [​IMG]

The front K60 was mounted at the same time as the first rear (~6K ago) and still looks practically new. I run about 18 psi in it:
    [​IMG]

As long as they're available I think this will be my tire of choice for the Dakar. They are surprisingly good off-road and fantastic on pavement.
  14. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take care with the front pressures, at least when used with BMW rims, managed to spin the tyre on the rim without rim locks & pulled a valve. They dont fit as tightly to the rim as Conti's do & need higher pressures
  15. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    dang those are some long lasting tires!
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Just installed a set of Piaa 530 led driving lights I picked up on Amazon for about $200. Draw just 6 watts each, but put out very bright light. The led bulbs shine rearward toward the multireflector and the result is a precisely aimed beam that doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic like most led lights. Also have a 2-year warranty.
    http://www.piaa.com/automotive-lamps/led-530.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Barnman

Barnman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I had read the 650 FAQ's but mine is a different plug which doesn't take the links as easily and also has three wires.

I have found this great piece of wisdom that shows the same plug and set up I have which is common to its big brother the 1150

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/SSIBD.pdf
  18. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Barnman

Barnman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Mr.Dabalina

Mr.Dabalina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @twinrider. Looks good. What bulb do you have in the main headlight? Also, did you wire your driving lights into an existing switch or did you add one?