Is Riding in the rain Really that dangerous?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by c3eh, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All sorts of good advice here already so I only have one thing to say even if it's already been said. The more you ride the more comfortable you'll be in adverse conditions. I ride year round in NY and do it partly to keep my skills sharp, partly because I don't want a break in my riding season. Today it was 15F, windy with a light snow. I took the slow way to work to avoid the highway knowing the chance of hitting ice was high. I don't lean the bike in turns much at all in these conditions and brake very conservatively. Secondary roads in heavy down pours, less traffic and slower speeds are good. Light to moderate rain can be pleasant in warmer temps, enjoy it but leave plenty of room for braking and emergency lane changes. Get out in all sorts of conditions, that's how you learn to deal with it. You might really enjoy riding in adverse conditions.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on the bike a lot also.
    I have ridden in the rain on lots of different bikes, but my TU250 makes it seem like its dry out, even in a heavy rain with local flooding.
    I had more fun then riding in dry weather.

The TU is light, low, and has no power, and its a hoot in the wet.
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point. I like riding my DR650 in crappy conditions, especially winter weather, more than the Tiger. I'm sure the Tiger is safer in the rain though since it's got ABS and better tires.
  4. Eddywoodgo

Eddywoodgo two wheeled nomad

Oddometer:
    I commute every day on my bike so encounter lots of rain...ya get wet
    you can ride dangerously in the wet as you can in any conditions.
    Its up to you, its not the rain thats dangerous it is how you ride.
  5. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    To the OP - NO.

You need to be a bit more careful. You hear and see differently. It's actually fun when you get accustomed to it. You can play with your brakes and powerband in a completely different manner when it's raining.

I personally love the sound of light rain plinking on my helmet. The first time I heard it, I had no idea what it was for a while, until I noticed that cars had their wipers on. I was at just the right speed for it to blow by my visor.

Do: Wax your visor. Get a Pin-Lock. Learn to flick your head to the left and right to allow the water to blow away. Get one of those little squeegees that clips to your glove. Wear decently waterproof gear. Relax and enjoy it - it's just another dimension of riding.

Riding in a drownpour at night, not so much fun, but I've done it a few times (yay Germany) and I've not been any the worse for wear for it.
  6. Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always clean my visor with lemon Pledge. I guess it does the same thing as a wax, plus it smells lemon fresh! Cheap, and easy.

And gear. The worst thing about rain is getting freezing ass cold and having your boots fill with water because your jeans are completely soaked.
  7. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you don't ride in the rain,,you ain't riding!:1drink
  8. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Yes-We are all going to die....

Unless you are running car/trailer tires on the rear.......

:hide
  9. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain
    I live in Oregon... Occasionally I ride in the dry. :D

Just slow down and take her easy, also remember bridges freeze before roads.
  10. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Listen to your Mother!
    She is always correct.:deal
  11. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What he said, but there is no substitute for getting out there and riding in the wet, if you wear the right gear, it's not totally miserable, and your confidence will grow..
  12. c3eh

c3eh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you everybody this is exactly what I wanted, everyone to give their personal insight
    however it may be awhile before I ride in the rain because I'd rather invest in offroad gear before rain gear. Now when/if it gets warm soon i do have nylon clothing that is waterproof i could wear pro tempore until i get real gear
    and I am possibly going to purchase a bike soon so I can't buy it all at once ha

but i appreciate all the comments an stories glad it turned into a hot topic. :clap
  13. Woodduck

Woodduck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a month of rain here in Brisbane I'm officially sick of riding in the rain EVERY day.

I agree you do get more confident with it and now its more the annoyance factor than the initial of shit factor.

Have a read of twist of the wrist 2 if you get bored. There's heaps of PDF copies floating around on the web.
  14. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Rode in a drownpour over the weekend.

Helmet ventilation, Helmet ventilation. Helmet ventilation.
  15. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    53 and rain here this morning. I have no worries about getting wet with a well cared for Aerostich kit and I change my shield out to a pinlock to keep the fogging down. The pinlock works superbly.

That being said, I wear glasses most of the time, and although my shield may not fog, my glasses will. The Shoei Multitech has a lever which can either lock the shield down or crack it a bit. This feature is invaluable. My chin vent is always open, even last Friday when it was 25 on the way in to work. Without that vent open there wasn't a hope in hell of keeping my shield clear.

I suppose there is a different riding position which will cause the shield to open unintentionally, but none of the bikes I ride fit into this category. I have never used the shield lock feature but I use the shield crack open a bit feature a lot in spring/fall.
  16. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    You need contact lenses (if that works for you), to eliminate the glasses fogging up, plus a face mask directing your breath out of the helmet. There are several, I use the large one from Shoei.

That mask also helps somewhat for the glasses.
  17. Coyote Red

Coyote Red n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it has already been brought up since I didn't read all seven pages. But, the slickest time on the road in the rain is when it first starts. All the oil that has been dripped on to the road starts to float up and has not made its way off to the shoulder yet.
  18. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like riding in the rain ................ it's the only time my bike ever gets washed! :D

On the other hand, if you want it REALLY clean .................. get caught out in a hail storm. That'll get the bugs off! :lol3
  19. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    A favorite local route that gets quite slippery after, or during a rain, have seen many a bike fall down on this short backroad - a couple of times it was someone riding one of my bikes. http://goo.gl/maps/7kXH5

An obvious beginner rider, but at 1:15 he slips, at 4:30 he just decides to ride off the road. :rofl

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fDdcFQDbVj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    Hey... you guys are riding on the wrong side of the road!:D