Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Gas Hog

Gas Hog Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer:
    Nice! No better day than new bike day. :clap
    Gary
  2. Stray Dog

Stray Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well she sort of knew,
    but weren't sure if she was getting a bike or just a Harley T shirt...
    When the van pulled up, I just told her there was a package for her and she should go get it...

Boy did I get lucky that night...:wink:
  3. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

Oooh yeah, nothing quite like a happy and grateful woman! :thumb
  4. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Awesome XL based scrambler! I'd want a little more seat padding, and perhaps a little lower bars. And I'd want to do a chain conversion to make it a little more gravel road friendly, but other than that, it's looks just about right. :D

I've been "planning" my next project and I'm torn between a scrambler, a street tracker, or perhaps something with more of a CR flavor. Been collecting a ton of pics of various custom built Sportsters for inspiration... just need the money to buy another bike, and the time to start putting something together... The CR bike craze is going strong, and the STer's have been around for a long time, so the Scrambler might be a little more unique, and it opens up a whole 'nother realm of riding...

Of course that has to wait until the 48 is "finished".

:1drink
    davyjones likes this.
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    And while you may have seen this already, and while it isn't a Sportster, this video got me jonesin' after a scrambler a good while back. This was supposed to be my next project bike, but now I'm thinking the Sportster might make a more satisfying candidate for me to use as a basis for it instead of the Triumph.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/unaRkye1OBk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere in here was a mention of the hard-mounted bars on 04 and ups compared to the rubber-mounted bars of the pre-04 bikes.

If you want to rubber-mount your bars, all you need is a couple of washers and some hard rubber. I've done this on a few bikes over the years and it works fine on the Sportster. I use 30mm washers and the heavy-duty rubber tips (not plastic!) for walking sticks - both can be bought at a hardware store for a dollar or two.

[​IMG]

Cut the rubber about 1/4" or so from the end of the tip and punch a hole in it slightly smaller than the width of the mount retainer bolt. You want this to be a tight push fit over the bolt. Take out both bolts and move the bars back to clear the holes, push one bolt through, drop on a washer, press the rubber 'ring' tip upwards onto the bolt and push it though about 1/2" and drop the second washer on. Do the same to the other side. You can then place the bar mounts on the bolts and do them up - the tight fit of the rubber will stop the bolts falling out while you do it.

[​IMG]

Tighten them up until the bars don't move the bolts in their holes - probably about 4-5ft/lbs. You don't want them tightened hard down like a solid mount. For the first few days, nip up the bolt every day or so as the rubber compresses and the mounts start to move on the bolts. The tight fit of the rubber will stop the bolts from ever falling out, so there's no danger of the bars falling off - though you could drill and wire the heads if you are really worried.

That takes out most of the vibes on the highway, costs next to nothing and can be done in about 15 minutes. If you are really keen you can do the same to the footpeg mounts with some flat bar and 1/4" thick heavy rubber sheet. I haven't bothered on the Sporty, but I have done it on some other 'shakers'.
    bpc likes this.
  8. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I really like the Iron 883.
    Question: If I have it made into a 1200 before I even pick it up (new from a dealer) by the dealer, am I risking warrantee? How would it compare with a factory 1200? And lastly, cost? Am I nuts here? Thanks
    Lyle
  9. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    You are nuts. The 883 is as heavy as the 1200, but with far less power.
    I have often thought that HD only build it for the Midlife Crisis People. You know:
    "Ive worked all my life!/Done nothing but bring up kids! Never had no fun! I'm gonna get a motorbike! A Harley!"
    (But later: "Yes a Harley, but the smallest one")
    But I think the 1200 conversion should not invalidate your warranty.
    Rob
  10. tree88

tree88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes the harley 883 is the least powerful, but the fuel injected ones arent exactly slouches- mine makes 57hp- with a quiet pipe and moco air filter.

As long as the parts are installed by a dealer, the warranty on all parts and accessories is 2yrs, and will not void your powertrain warranty.

In the grand scheme of things, any sportster is a pretty good choice- It is always more fun to ride a slow bike fast than vice-versa.

And screw the whole "smallest one" noise. If you like it,and it suits you- buy it. F*ck the harley haters, and fashion police.:huh
  11. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:
    But why buy the 883 then punch it out to 1200? Mine was an 883, and the first owner had it bored out to 1200. I never understood why he did that.

It's a great bike! It just passed the 200 000 km mark and I did about 190 000 of those. It is reliable, economical and comfortable.

Fast? Fast enough. Just check the demerit points on my Driver's Licence...

Rob
  12. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    First I wanted a 1200R, they dropped that one. Next I wanted a 1200 Nightster, then the ass holes, um, er design team at the MOCO dropped that one. The IRON is the last of the "standards". News flash! Not everybody wants forward controls....that said, I really LIKE the look of the 72!
    Anybody know any left over Nightsters out there?
    Lyle
    skypeace likes this.
  13. theKite

theKite Ulyssean

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they dropped the 1200R. I sometimes wonder what the design staff are drinking. I too, like the 72. As it is I cannot sell my aging 883/1200 because I would just have to build up another one for my own delight.
    Rob
  14. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right, but it seems that the overwhelming number of people do. But, I didn't like the forwards either. Knew before I even got the bike (48) that I'd switch to mids. $65 from a member on xlforum (came off his Nightster), and an hour or so spinning wrenches and I have mids. Can sell the forwards for more than I paid for the mids too... Next up is the suspension... increasing the travel to that of the Roadster, along with other upgrades, to increase cornering clearance as well as improve ride quality...
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I test rode the 48 and the Iron back to back. Other than the mids on the Iron I much preferred the 48. The gearing is shorter on the Iron, so it wasn't bad at lower speeds, but it did run out of steam faster.

One of the great things about the Sportster is the parts interchangeability and adaptability. Pick a bike from '04 and up and you can pretty much mix and match parts to build what you want out of it, within reason of course....

Ask your dealer about how the warranty would be affected... I have no idea what the cost difference would be, but I'd say that if you pay the dealer to turn an Iron into a 1200, plus change the gearing to suit, etc. it'd end up being more expensive than buying a 1200 to start with. If you like the 48 or 72, just get one. You can always swap the controls, tanks, seats, etc, and probably sell your originals for more than the cost of the replacements. Lots of parts out there on xlforum and ebay.
  16. tree88

tree88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    because some features (fenders, front ends, controls) are only offered on the 883, and the least expensive route is to get the parts you want is to buy the smaller engine and upgrade it. the nightster is no longer in production- so if you want a new 1200 in a nightster package- you can buy a 48, change out the triple trees, tank, fender, and wheels... or buy an iron and do the conversion.

It's no longer the case that you can get the 883 or 1200 with any configuration. and I am pretty sure the reason behind this is the moco hopes to drive parts sales up.
  17. Red eyed and Rollin

Red eyed and Rollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what happened to me! For years I wanted a black Sportster, I bought a rubber mounted base 883 in 2004. I loved it and had a ton of FUN. Bought into the bigger is better nonsense for a few years and had a few baggers. Great bikes but fun? No no no. Just bought a new 11 XR 1200 X. Sportsters rule.:rofl:rofl:rofl
  18. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    XR's, the one "True Sportster"
  19. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    Yep, love me a XR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  20. Red eyed and Rollin

Red eyed and Rollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have the small windshield on the ride. Very nice what kind of exhaust??
    Still have snow on the ground. Springs a comin:lol3