2013 Sandblast Rally - March 2 - SC

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Anders Green, Sep 26, 2012.

1. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    The car guys have a saying

P O R

Press on Regardless!

Thats Rally, great job Braden.

Jack
  2. GingerKid

GingerKid How about that self...

Oddometer:
  3. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So since I can't do crap but sit around and plan my next race and which bike to prepare, l am looking ahead for the next rally. I should definately be healed up and ready for the Hyperfest. How does the Hyperfest compare to the Sandblast? Big bike (F8) or small bike?

Going to the ortho surgeon today to see if I need a plate and screws.

Ara
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Braden,,,, It was good to meet you. This was my first time riding the 390,,,, bought it in November and didn't get a chance to get on it until Wednesday before race. I had a couple concerns about it after my last bike being a 525. I thought power in the sand was going to it's biggest handicap. That turned out to be a non-issue for the most part. When I caught you the first time I really had to pick the right corner to get by as I didn't have enough juice to make it happen cleanly on a straight.

Mike,,,, Thanks. I was bummed when I got that flat and even more bummed that I still had a stage and a fairly long transit between me and getting the tire changed. I didn't want to see DNF next to my name. What the 390 lacks in power, it makes up for with rideability for this type of event.
  5. Boatman

Oddometer:
  6. Boatman

Oddometer:
  7. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:

:lol3 :thumb not to worry, i just cant hang onto that thing when i sit :D
  9. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    It was a dog. There were a couple of people out there at some random place mid-stage. The dog was not restrained...at a race...on a race course. Seriously stupid people. I luckily missed the dog. I should have hit the people. How stupid some people can be amazes me. :huh
  10. Chewy4000

Chewy4000 n00b

Oddometer:

I think that was the guy next to me, but still funny.

Chewy
  11. Calamity Jesus

Calamity Jesus n0ob

Oddometer:
    I thought you guys might enjoy these panos I made of the regroup:

[​IMG] (click for 4221x800)

[​IMG] (click for 3008x800)

Also, I thought the traverse for the latter half of the field during SS2 made for some neat shots regardless of the circumstances.

[​IMG]
  12. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Great shot!
  13. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    Engine wise it's 100% original with right at about 100 hours on it (this engine) However it has the full Speedbrain Akra exhaust system and that funky header really helps make power. On top of that it has a PowerCommanderV we custom tuned. The Ohlins suspension really makes the bike easy to ride and recover from oh shit moments. I jabbed my hip with the left handle bar and busted off the mirror with my forearm as my torso was heading over the handle bars, somehow the bike just soaked it up and kept me going forward. The GoPro footage I got wasn't very dramatic and about 10 seconds afterwards I had a few superlatives to let loose once I was securely back on the gas and collected, lol. I didn't feel a whole lot faster then last year and am still fighting the same head cold I had last week at this time, but going off last year's results I definitely picked up my pace a tad and maybe it's just the simpe fact I'm carrying 15lbs less on my body and didn't pack squat for tools/minimal hydration/supplies/etc. I think last year the Klim helmet was so noisy at speeds and puting alot of pressure on goggles and neck in the wind, the Arai XD with integrated shield was a much better option this year given the good conditions,..........except for the 30 seconds trying to put a pass on an HP2E,....somehow sand got past the face shield and my safety goggles :lol3

I love my big bike, but there is alot less capacity to recover from slight miscalculations and it doesn't crash well at all, otherwise I'd be alot more prone to trying it again at Sandblast
  14. rlhphotos

rlhphotos n00b

Oddometer:
  15. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    RLH: wow, some really great shots there. I think I have my new avatar / ID pic.

I'm too modest to post it here, it's so good. :D

Jack
  16. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    I think this was the most/best photographed rally yet, tons of great photos to browse through! Thanks to all who captured what they did. :freaky
  17. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Found a good one:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PPXDjPz41Y8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. Recon_Buck

Recon_Buck Candy-Assed Rider

Oddometer:
  20. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: Thanks for the props guys. :D But I forgot to thank Dave Jansen and a couple of other guys, Wendell Purdue, the Mayor of Patrick, and Drew from ADVRider. But first the story.

After the Rally was over, and all the bikes had arrived at Oslo's to check in, there was a little confusion as to where we were supposed to be and we were all standing around wondering what to do. Some riders went in a got a beer,:freaky,others hung out and BS'ed about the race outside. At this point the cars were still on stage. Myself and a couple of other riders who came solo to the event had to get back to the Service Area in Patrick and get our support vehicles. It was getting dark and cold and we didn't feel like riding our bikes back down Rt 1 the appx 15 miles to service. I'm talking with Peter and Dmytro and they offer to drive me and Dan F to service, we say "great", Dmytro says his car is close by and he'll be right back with it.

20 Minutes later he arrives :eek1, I get in, and who shows up but Anders, and gives us a "Father knows best" :lol3 lecture about sticking around to "celebrate" the car guys when they show up, and how "proud" it would make him if we stuck around. I'm cold, tired, and hungry, and now shamed into "celebrating" :lol3. F@#%$% F$^&&* F*&^%K.
    I stick around another 15 minutes an hop on by bike and ride to service, it's dark, raining a little, and about 1 mile from service, I run out of gas.

F%^$K. F&^%ing Karma !

I'm sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes and a Motorcycle pulls up beside me, I mention I'm out of gas and there's a can a mile away. The rider Drew" I think, offers to go get it, he's on a Yamaha Super Tennere and we discuss how he'll carry the gas can back. The plan is iffy at best, but what the hell. I thank him for his help and Drew leaves for the gas.

About a minute later, David Jansen driving his van, and his wife? see me and turn around and pull up to me. It's good to see him OK, because the last time I saw him, he was crashed on stage. I mention I'm out of gas, and before I can say help is on the way he offers me some of his.

Here's where my dilemma starts, do I say no thanks, gas is on it's way, or accept his offer. Remembering the old addage, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, I fill half my tank with gas, say thanks, and Dave's on his way. A minute later, Drew shows up with a Pickup truck following him, driving is "Wendell Purdue" the mayor of Patrick, with the gas can in the back of his truck. :eek1 I fill the other half of my tank, and he follows me to the service just in case i need additional help.

I didn't want make Drew feel like he helped for nothing, but I wasn't sure he'd be able to strap a 5 gallon gas can safely to the back of his bike, so I got help twice, Thats Rally!

What a bunch of great people involved in this sport. :freaky:freaky:freaky

Thanks
    Jack