The New Ninja 300

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by studad, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was riding home from work today on an empty highway, no real rush. Glance down and was cruising at an actual 84 MPH :eek1 !!!

:lol3

Ordered the HH sintered pads for the GSXR750 caliper so I better get busy bugging my buddy to machine a bracket next! The brakes aren't bad with the SS line/sintered pads but they can be alot better.

2100 miles, nothing has broken off yet. No more bolts have gone missing either. :freaky

Thinking the 2.5" rised clip ons are going to be another mod. The ergos are slightly tight to the bars for me. Supposed to give an inch + forward and down. Can't see that as a bad thing from my guesstimations.
  2. scooterspirit

scooterspirit DaddyGeneralSir

Oddometer:
    Try doing that on your cbr250, brahahaha! Looks like an awesome little bike to me.
    Any idea what mpg your getting?
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BHDcqj6BEV0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been pretty solidly in the 53-57 MPG range, hit 63 iirc once early on. New tune on this tank at 75 miles in and I'm riding between snow storms so no new number yet.
  4. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    I have gotten a low of 51 (highest of 81) on my Ninja 250 so that sounds spot on for the 300.
  5. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody have a real-world mpg average for regular commuting w/some restraint? I would presume that would be a/the higher number; say 60'ish on average?
  6. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Keep track of this page. As time goes on more people will join, and you'll get a good feel for the actual real world mileage of the bike. There will always be outliers, but once enough fill-ups are there you can tell in general what you would get.
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another issue with MPG calculations is you can have it look full then get near another full gallon in it upright. :huh

So, you could easily be 1/2 gallon off on calculations unless you go to the brim everytime. Lots a room in there for fuel! :wink:
  8. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:

Damn but I needed that.

Mine... black ( the fastest colour ) is sitting, paid for, in a crate at the dealer, where, considering the -13 degree C.
    weather we've be getting, it will likely remain until mid March.

I am fighting off the urge to order any mods for the wee creature and so far I'm winning that battle.

Although, I am thinking of taking it the same BRG as my Sporty with perhaps antique gold hoops. .
  9. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've seen some funky mileage calculations going on over the years. There are a lot of mistakes, misunderstanding, and sloppiness. For that reason, I'm not a big fan of fuelly. There's one guy on there w/a 21'ish mpg reading. I prefer to hear from folks I know (or believe) to have a pretty good clue. Sad, but true.

Thanks for the info.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    SW-motech rear rack system for a +08 Ninja 250 is on the way now. I got the word no rack for the 300 is planned so I'll see what it takes to make this one work. I have a few talented buddies so worst case it is a starting point for my Givi monokey top box mount. :evil
  11. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey amigo I have read some of the stuff you are doing to the 300, sounds great... maybe by time you are "finish" you will post a list of all the things you did and the thing that work or didn't to the bike?

Also, at IMS @ Long Beach the guy from Kawasaki did not comment on top speed, anybody want to tell me how fast have you gone? I am hopping past 100 mph just for passing cars (and at what RPM's if possible)

Thanks

Damasovi
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'll do 87 actual in 4th with a +1 CS sprocket. Hits 100 in 5th and probably its top speed in 5th too. I haven't spent much time over 90 MPH and passing power is great, especially with the exhaust and tune. so far I haven't found a mod that didn't make it better! I think I saw 104 once, you need alot of room to get above 100.

Lets see:

$15 +1 CS
    $95 SS brake lines
    $35 HH rear pads
    $75 Kawi touring windshield
    $35 07 R6 throttle
    $00 KTM start switch
    $175 SV-racing rear sets
    $??? Conti SM tires, 120/150
    $460 Akra slip on
    $15 decat stock header
    $250 Area-P tuner & custom tune
    $35 K&N airfilter
    $60? Rear tail trim/plate holder/flush rear sigs from ebay parts
    $00 KTM tool kit, stocker is trash
    $40 GSXR rear shock
    $40 All Balls tapered roller head bearings
    $25 65w Osram headlight bulbs

A Tokico 4 pot front right GSXR cal is ready to go on next with fresh pads, $25 cal/$35 HH pads

The forks are stock for now but need to get better.

Seat will probably get a gel insert and maybe +1" lift.

Free-ish, replaced all the 5 & 6mm allens with KTM/Husky bolts with 8mm heads. Went from 4 tools to 1 to tear it apart, seat, fairing, lowers.

I'll add more if I forgot something.
  13. scooterspirit

scooterspirit DaddyGeneralSir

Oddometer:
    >>Mine... black
    look forward to your impressions. This 300 shows 191 kmh, regular riding, on the highway. Not saying you would go that fast, but I would, :D

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4M9jZ08F4VQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    118 MPH? I have my doubts that was an accurate speedo! I'd believe it might hit 108-110 with enough room, a tailwind and a downhill slope! :lol3
  15. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    And a tow from a Harley. :rofl
  16. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 118 is a lot, the ER6n can do 115-120 GPS.
  17. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Twisted Throttle's box at the door today, that was quick! :evil

SW-motech 08-12 Ninja 250 tail rack was delivered and it bolted right on with the exception of the under tail brace. If I was going light it might do fine without it but by flipping the bracket I can simply bolt on a 4.5" long piece of 1" angle steel, drill holes at 46mm O.C. to match the holes in the steel undertail and use the supplied spacers and bolts/nuts.

Here is a pic of the "problem".

[​IMG]
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    My license plate will get relocated right to that flat plate. So, they changed the undertail a smidge/smudge, but everything else was dead on. :freaky
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Under the back seat, Apea-P tuner!

[​IMG]
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Under the tuner and tray, the rear most bolts for the fabbed bracket.

[​IMG]