Too old to skateboard

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by land_shark, Jan 10, 2007.

1. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    mine was a red piece of plywood called a 'SUPER SURFER' with said steel skate wheels. :rofl

I later had a Makaha wood board too, with the early 'clay' wheels made from (I think?) coconut fiber or something... I just didn't get along with boarding, so I quit early, I much preferred two wheels.
  2. dukebackpack

dukebackpack Retired Bowman

Oddometer:
    Traded my Jeep for my brothers Rob Roskopf with 8 inch Independents after he broke his wrist. Took it overseas with me in the Army in 86. Retired it two years ago and replaced it with a "Thirty Fucking Years" Santa Cruz reissue Jason Jesse with 10 Independents. Love those boards. Great way to stay in shape and keep from getting mentally old...........

One of these will keep you from hitting those pesky rocks and cracks......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY8v3yq7j6g
  3. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    I started again about the time this thread started,but I have only been a few times.I started to get a scooter to ride with my daughter.
    I am glad I got out my old skatr board instead.It is the mid 80s' model.
    We mostly go at night on a lighted parking lot/basketball court.
    There is a super smooth court,but it is not lighted.
    Our best day was riding all the around the lake and back,stopping to watch ducks and play in two parks.
    She is intrested in practicing on mine,but I can see she is not ready for me to let go yet.
    She has only been on the scooter since christmas and got good fast.
    I think I will let her stick with that for a while.But my eyes are open to get her first board.I wish there was a mini Bones with the roses.

so,what are some good road wheels.
    And will I enjoy a long board that much more.I am not riding ramps,or doing ollies,or even curbs.
  4. dizave

dizave Team Blitzed

Oddometer:
    We're still waiting for Gina's pics :D
  5. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Dang, alot of you sound like me. I was about 6 when one of the other kids got a skateboard, I taught myself to ride and did ride one till I was 18, For a time when I was 18, no car, it was my primary transportation to and from work 3 miles across town.
    Like most, 38 and to fat now,
    Good luck on learning.
  6. land_shark

land_shark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! Her lot is full of ice and snow at the moment. I'm sure she wouldn't mind letting me tool around in the show-room. ...I could practice my rail-slides on the Adventurer in the corner :evil
  7. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    We grew up roller skating,skateboarding,flying turtling(if you don't know what a flying turtle is,check it out for the kids)in my fathers drug store.
    Terrazzo floor and about six isles to cruise on.

The parking lot had a pretty good rake to it,right down to a couple of busy streets.
  8. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
  9. blacksan

blacksan Rev Limiter

Oddometer:
    The wait has been tense to say the least, but I am the proud owner of a awesome longboard. My skating career started back about 1979 with steel wheels and a bunch of road rash. I was just bumping along in JM when I found this thread and it awoke a passion in me that I have not had for a long time.

So, my first stop was to ask a few questions and I wanted solid input. It was obvious that sAMOa (Chris Yandall) had his sheet all in one sock hence I pinged him several times basically bugging the shit out of him. :lol3 Chris was extremely cool with me and gave me some good advice on skating and a few other shared life experiences. When the whirlwind started to take hold there was talk of a prototype board being built just for me. :thumb

Chris really gave me an opportunity I would not have had otherwise! Now blacksan.5 and I can enjoy yet another awesome outdoor activity together. When the dam ice melts I am going to Skog my ass off just trying to keep up with .5! :clap

Hey Chris, I really appreciate you help bro, and look forward to meeting up some day.
  10. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    I think skaters and motorcycle people are cut from the same cloth.
  11. blacksan

blacksan Rev Limiter

Oddometer:
    No Shit! The funny thing is as I get older I am more devilsh then ever? :wings
  12. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to talk Chris (sAMOa) into showing up for Warped Trip III ... I think he's up for it, he made it to WARP-II and the original Warped Trip.

come on out! its only 2-3 days ride from .VA :)
  13. blacksan

blacksan Rev Limiter

Oddometer:
    Bro, it would be a pleasure! I already told Chris that if he ever makes it back east I will burn some cow and pour some Bourbon for him at my casa.
  14. 15578

15578 Alea iacta est

Oddometer:
    That is so cool ... good for you man!
  15. cgr

cgr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. blacksan

blacksan Rev Limiter

Oddometer:
    Chris specked me out a board from his prototype development that should be available soon. I will get picss up ASAP as my camera craped out. If I was starting from scratch I would ping him as his advice has been priceless. When you consider the pro input that goes along with it, how can you go wrong?
  17. land_shark

land_shark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on getting the new board, blacksan! Keep us posted on how it's going. Got any pics of the new gear?

Bloody fffreezing lately in IA...more snow today to boot. I've about had my fill of this winter crap.
  18. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    New road in front of the house,perfect for my daughter's scooter.
    I have not put my skate board on it yet,I think I am saving it for roller blades.
    I like skateboarding at the jr. high basketball court too much.

The asphalt road is really short,only about six houses on it.
    No camber in the turn either(good thing,or I would have to warm up the K12RS)
  19. blacksan

blacksan Rev Limiter

Oddometer:
    I will get a few pics up when I am off this week. It has been real cold here too, but the weather is supposed to break by the end of the coming week.
  20. ag_streak

ag_streak Failure is always an option Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mitch Boehm from Motorcyclist is an avid skater and has written about it in several issues.

From the pre-urethane wheel days through the early, '80's, skating defined my life. I grew up in New York but travelled to skateparks in Florida and California during their heyday.

Peak experience was riding the Dogbowl replica at Dogtown Skatepark in Marina Del Rey while Stacey Peralta was there in 1979.

BTW, Lords of Dogtown sucked, but the original documentary rocks.

I still have some my old-school equipment: Tracker Six Tracks, Road Rider 6's, and some Indy 151 trucks, and I used to have all the Bennett and ACS trucks, Powell Peralta and Sims wheels, and some VINTAGE Dogtown and Alva decks. man, I wish I still had them!

I'll be 46 next month and can still pull frontside air on the vert! I stunned my 12 year old nephew a few years ago by taking him to an indoor (wood ramps) park in Tampa. We watched for a few minutes and a 16 year old kid offered me his board, thinking I couldn't ride.

I don't know whetehr it was fear or respect, but I cleared the ramp as all the kids watched me fakie to the top, then pull some frontside kickturns on the vert! I was TRIPLE the age of some of those kids! Scary!

'Course, I could barely fucking walk the next day!! :rofl

I also discovered mountain unicycling a couple of years ago, and now I own four uni's.. It's an excellent workout!

Keeps 'ya young, for sure!