Honda preparing Dakar assault

Discussion in 'Racing' started by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Yep, auto translators are becoming that good!
  2. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
    Looks like they heard some of the complaints about the music tracts. Seems like they came up with something worse. :rofl
    http://youtu.be/GBqnPSowSnI
  3. BajasWorld

BajasWorld Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone note the sponsor cover up on helder in the HRC video ?

[​IMG]

Also anyone know the problem that stopped helder ?
  5. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Mr Yamazaki: "Okay gentlemen, what Henke demonstrating here is our current vapour lock design... As you can see, we have equip vapour lock with left handed meteric thread... to counteract the coreolis effect that exist in southern hemisphere. We believe that at high altitude we will subject CRF 450 Rally to under racing conditions; this will give us competitive edge over our rivals.

As you know, Helder experience some problem with vapour lock in Maroc Rallye... so for next engine testing, we shall trial second generation Vers. 2.1 vapour lock; with feature "tuppaware sealing ring". HRC engine technician hope this will keep "freshness" of octane rating in fuel, and provide us with competitve edge over our rivals!" :clap

Seriously (genuinely). I really DO hope that HRC take it to KTM this year... and even ultimately WIN the Dakar. :nod It would be great for the sport, bringing the ten year domination to an end, and opening the window of opportunity that other manufactures (like Husqvarna and Yamaha) will also join the fray.

That would cause KTM to up the ante (again)... as they have gradually been scaling back - since the glory days of their six and eight rider Gauliouse/Repsol factory team efforts of the early 2000's - yet STILL winning... so in reality the bean counters have not had to justify any greater expenditure.

But I think it's going to take more than just a fleet of box vans and some factory motor bits for the HRC effort to take the DAKAR trophy from Mattighofens grasp... and even with the great team of riders, staff of technicians and the economic leverage that HONDA have assembled for this effort... the "timeframe" they are working with is still a BIG ask... even for the might of the HRC corporation...

KTM have four years of practice in the batting cages with their 450 RR and the team management/lead pitchers have been out there in the "big leagues" for the best part of ten years.

January will be a big one... :norton
  6. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    My feelings exactly, it's not that I don't want HRC to win it, but I see them battling more with the SpeedBrain Huskies than the KTMs...

I hope I am wrong and we get a thrilling 3 way battle for the podium between the manufacturers.

Most anticipated Dakar of the last 5 years? Could be ... :clap
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    After the "battle royal" that the Maroc Rallye provided us last week... if the DAKAR top 20 entry list holds the same standard (plus the extra sprinkling of "guest stars" and international hero's from around the globe it usually features), then I'd be prepared to say the most awaited (and diversely competitive) DAKAR of maybe TEN years.

Not since the early 2000's with the multiple rider KTM Gauliose/KTM Repsol/Moviestar squads (8 riders) faced off against the BMW squad (four riders) have there been so many "big hitter" teams únder the start banner... :deal

5 HRC's Hondas, 2 KTM aliens + 2 Waterboys & supporting cast of semi-privateer/factory assistance, 3 Speedbrain Husqvarnas, 3 official Yamaha entrants + the flock of JVO kit team supported, GasGas making a solid effort, Sherco on a smaller scale... but potential...

"Formula 450" is kicking at the factory end of the scale... and the "Malle Moto" is keeping the solidarity and spirit of the grassroot Dakar motorcycle competitor alive... in true "Kemal" fashion. :clap

I believe DAKAR 2013 will be an immensely interesting year. Will there be a change of the guard, with the new Jedi coming through the ranks... or have the established Aliens still got some "zap" left in their light sabres? :lol3

Mat the F5orce be with you in January! :thumb
  8. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

I totally agree...I haven't looked forward to a Dakar the way I look forward to this one in a while.

Imagine how insane the "F5isphere" is going to be with KTM and honda swapping positions throughout the stages and days...Phew...better make sure that work is light for those couple of weeks...

I'm also going to buy an extra keyboard for the rest day, and swap my F5 keys every day....:deal
  9. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    15 minutes penalty for the first key swap, 45 minutes for... well, you know the rest :lol3
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I dont recall what an entire keypboard swap was worth..automatic dnf ?
  11. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Only if you're caught... :evil
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Or self confess like Flanny did :D
  13. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    But my keyboard was muddy from an unmarked hazard...surely a ruling can be done to alleviate any penalties I occured due to the switch ?

[​IMG]
  15. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl
  16. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    I can help you out of that mess, but you have to PROMISE to help me out of mine.
  17. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    je vous promets

[​IMG]
  18. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nerds. :D

No wonder we don't have girls in the F5 class.
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Not saying the two lovely ladies are nerds (well JMo will probably confess anyway... seeing she "outed" herself over in the bivouac :wink::lol3)

... but Jenny and MXMUM might take exception to that comment BB... :huh

(make sure they don't virtual brake check you in the first turn at the f5 prologue mate... :evil)
  20. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but they are mates.

I meant more in terms of groupies... :wink: