osm maps instead of city navigator?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by g.mccormick, Mar 20, 2014.

1. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a new 78S coming my way and will need to get a map set for it. I had planned on buying city navigator, but now I am starting to learn a little bit about opensource maps such as

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
    http://www.osmmaps.com/

Do a lot of people here use these instead of CN? I'm planning on using this gps to do the TAT and will need to make tracks in basecamp using the mapsets also. Would these maps be a good choice to use for that? Or should i just pay the money and get/use CN.

Thanks
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of people seem to use and like OSM maps.

I looked into them once and found a few errors in areas I was familiar with. I decided I just wouldn't want to trust them planning a trip into an unknown area. Plus I had already purchased CN and Topo maps.
  3. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    I find CN is good in my area for the smaller backroads and even older logging roads
    I have found mistakes in OSM even on state route highways. I would think CN would be good for a long multi state ride like the TAT to back up other maps you may use
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Not instead; in addition to. I think you'll find most people get both. And with your 78S (good choice) you can create a profile for each mapset and flip quickly between them to see which is better for the area you're in.

It's Win/Win.
  5. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you you OSM just remember to update them at least once a year as they are always changing. I just updated mine and they finally got rid of the green background when youre in the national forest which made it very hard to see the roads. Last night I did a quick side by side of OSM, 24k topo and CNNA and OSM has the most roads/detail of them. The only issue with OSM is all of the roads they have technically exist but may not be open to the public (gated and locked). The other issue is with the routing, OSM can/will route you in ways not legal. For instance if I use OSM leaving my house with a destination to the north of me it will route me going east to 287 and making a left onto 287 which is a no left turn intersection, if I do the same with either 24k or CNNA it will route me south a block then east to 287 which is a intersection that you can make a left turn legally.
  6. g.mccormick

Oddometer:
    So I downloaded the osm map for us from http://www.osmmaps.com/.
    I then loaded the .img file onto a 16Gib musb. I'm running the map in my new 78S. One thing that I didn't know, but is awesome, is that the osmmap shows up in basecamp when connected to the 78. On my 60, i have 2010 CN and it does not show up in basecamp when connected. I routed to work today with both gpses/maps and they seemed to work the same. I may still buy the 2014CN just in case, but definitely no hurry.

Is there a way that I can see the OSM map in basecamp without having th e78 connected up?

THanks
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Use Javawa Device Manager to enable map visibility in Basecamp

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  8. g.mccormick

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I will have to download and try that tonight. Is this to see the CN on the 60? What about a way to see the OSM in basecamp without connected to 78?

Thanks
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Just download the Windows or Mac installable version of the OSM region you want.
  10. g.mccormick

Oddometer:
    What/where do I find that? All i got was a .img file.

I'm learning all of this as I go, sorry to be such a suck.
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    When you request a map from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, once your maps have been compiled you are given a link to the download server. There you have several options of files to download. One is for Windows BC and one is for Mac. One is a pre-compiled IMG file for the GPS (which you don't really need if you're downloading one for the computer).
  12. Capt_phun

Capt_phun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do the same on my Eurex 20. I load the garmin cn to the gps hard-drive and then I load the some to the micro sd card. This way I always have the cn on the unit & can swap out the micro card for topo, osm, whatever.
    I find the level of detail is good on osm, showing more trails and such. Just be careful because hiking trails will show up & I doubt you want to take a moto on the Appalachian Trail.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You mean eTrex 20? Why are you dicking around, swapping cards to get different maps? The eTrex 20 will let you have multiple individual map images on the same card.

The eTrex also has Profiles so you can create one for each map, and swap maps in 10 seconds by switching Profiles.
  14. g.mccormick

Oddometer:
    I did this, but did not seem to get a download option for a windows.exe.
    This is what I had the option to download

tiles.txt
    osm_generic_tiles.zip (did not download, mentions it is for linux)
    osm_generic_macosx.zip (did not download)
    osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip (downloaded. Is only one gmapsupp.img file)
    6340000_license.txt (did not download)
    63240000.nsi (Did not download. It states "Nullsoft Scriptable Installer script used to create the Basecamp/MapSource installer". )

The email says there was going to be a *_windows.exe (installer for Garmin basecamp/mapsource windows, but there is not. Any ideas?

Thanks
  15. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:

Look here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl#Frequently_Asked_Questions

Basically it says the map can't be bigger than 2 Gb. There are options to work around the problem.
  16. g.mccormick

Oddometer:
  17. Capt_phun

Capt_phun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm dicking around cause the Etrex 20 is new to me. Coming from the old vista cx that shit the bed. Thanks for the tips. Now I can save the dicking around for inside my tent :clap. Didn't know profiles could enable other maps. Awesome. Guess I should read the manual :deal
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the case of Garmin manuals maybe not, they tend to be of very limited worth.
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You have to start somewhere...
  20. roofdog

roofdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to delete osm from my 600.I have searched the thread and looked at osm site.Any advice? Thanks