Owners Chat (with pics!): Honda NC700X

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by swiss-happy, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bazzaz

Bazzaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not so much that it needs to be removed, just softened. If you raised the hard limiter 250rpm and introduced a soft limiter at the current limit, then it wouldn't hit quite so abruptly. But that's all got to be done inside the stock ECU, not something that can be done with a piggy back unit like ours.
  2. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree.......since the dyno charts seem to confirm that, as they drop off at about 6200 rpm.
  3. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think that is true. Cycle World dyno tested a manual but couldn't a DCT for that reason. I forget that. What I zeroed in on was the low base line bhp as there are other dyno runs that are 6 or 8 hp higher for a 51 hp manual transmission model. This one was so low I thought it must be a 47 hp DCT model.
  4. Bazzaz

Bazzaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's because everyone else uses Dynojet HP numbers which are 15-20% higher than actual SAE HP, which is what we measure in.
  5. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
  6. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I built these " Cheap " hwy pegs and thought somebody might want to build a pair.
    They cost me about $15 and less than a hour of my time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  7. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been out today. Mpg is improving, this last tank was 82.8mpg :eek1

[​IMG]

Centre stand is being fitted on Friday while it's in for its first service. They are also replacing the throttle cable as the sleeve is split where it enters the adjuster at the grip. Not a big deal but if I leave it the water will get in and rot the cable.

[​IMG]
  8. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that red color sure is beautiful :norton

I'm trying to stay away but I might head to a dealer and look at one since I hear they are offering Red in the states this year.

-Jake
  9. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    I went for my first real ride yesterday.
    It was only about 30 degrees out so nothing too wild.
    But for the 54.7 miles I did ride, I only used .67 gallons of gas.
    79.27 MPG:clap
    Road closed, you say. OK
    I didn't really feel like riding in 30 degrees AND being wet.
    [​IMG]
    suzukiman likes this.
  10. Whiteyez

Whiteyez Motowanderlust

Oddometer:
  11. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better to ride and feel it than not ride.

[​IMG]

I turned onto a gravel road from here and it got messy. Great fun though and real comfortable with the Rox Risers standing up.
  12. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I went to the local Honda dealer yesterday to purchase an oil filter and ended up purchasing an NC700X. The dealer quoted a price on a 2012 for $5983.00. After reading about 100 pages the only thing I'm worried about is the power. I think the price is good (even though it's a 2012 leftover). I also ride 2 up sometimes and hope there's enough power for the TN mountain roads. I do like the gas mileage and the looks. My last worry is that my wife and I like to ride gravel roads (fire roads) and hope it's capable.
  13. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Are those Trax panniers? How do you like them?
    Mike
  14. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Damn oil filters are expensive.

I've had a Honda ST 1300 in the past and currently have a 1200RT along with my NC. The RT isn't getting much use since I bought the NC. Power is there on the NC but in a different place, if that makes sense. Last weekend I did 250 miles of some of the best roads the Ozarks has to offer on the NC and was quite pleased with handling and performance. I basically flogged her pretty hard for the first time since I've owned her......still got 70.2 mpg!

I really like the NC so far.
    Mike
  15. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to the dealer in 2002 to look at helmets and came home with an FZ1 :D

I was in both local Honda dealers last week. If either one had a 2012 marked down to $5983, I would probably have bought it. All theirs had tags at full MSRP. I think you done good.
  16. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride gravel roads all the time and have done a few two tracks. My tires are still stock and make for some slipping and sliding, but that will change soon. TKC 80's coming in.
    I buried my 650L with knobbies last weekend on a road with 3 inches of mud. Springtime in MT.

I like them very well. Stout build and hold a-lot. Seem real secure and don't shake on rough roads. I looked at several, almost did a soft bag, but wanted the sense of security these provide when nobody around. They come with a waterproof liner to keep things dry inside. They are not waterproof by them selves. I have straps for the top to tie on additional soft bags or a sleeping bag. I am planning a big loop this summer and will find out the scoop.
  17. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also thought it was a good price and what else can you purchase new for under 6 grand that compares to this bike. The 2013s MSRP went up $500 to $7499.00. I think because of the new 500s coming out this year. http://www.ritchiepowersports.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=349043&p=1&f=&make=honda&vtype=&cat=&s=Year&d=D&i=%2Fimglib%2Ftrimsdb%2F1012791-0-16041.png&l=&t=&sq=Motorcycle&vg=&vt=&family=null&year=2012&model=&sd=&fAmtRange=&floorplan=null&length=&weight=&lat=&lng=&miles=
  18. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine had it's first service today. I rode it there in the snow this morning, I haven't ridden it in nice weather yet! I was given a courtesy Transalp to go home on. I had them replace the throttle cable which was damaged. It took the mechanic 3 hours to do the oil change and the throttle cable . :lol3 he said they have never done one before and it needed all the plastics removing to get at it. I had a look at it while it was up on the ramp and it certainly was a PITA to get to the throttle body end. Despite me phoning to check it was ready this afternoon and them saying yes, when I got there it was still up on the ramp due to the issue with the throttle cable. I had to wait an hour and a half so I got my centre stand fitted free by way of compensation for waiting, saved me a job anyway. :clap

The gearchange seems a bit smoother now, was getting a bit clunky as it got to 500 miles. They have adjusted the chain a bit but I guess the proper oil is now a bit thicker? Engine is quieter too, not as much tappet noise now, I guess this is the oil as well. I am noticing a bit more transmission whine now though. It might have been there before but the engine is so quiet now I have only just noticed.
  19. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I picked mine up this morning. I rode about 30 miles and I think it's going to be a great bike. I live on a gravel road and was surprised at how well it handled the gravel. I also noticed that 6th gear is for the highway only. When I was running 50 to 55 5th seemed perfect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    suzukiman likes this.
  20. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer: